G-flux

Fausto

HST Expert
Hi guys

An interesting article this G-Flux thing...no...its not the latest product he's promoting...rather something that I have seen some of our own guys using or at least some of it, a...functional approach to training.

What's everyone's opinion? Crap? Worthy?

G-Flux

I've thopught about this concept for a while. Is a 100 calorie surplus always the same?

Lets say one guy trains and burns 2500 calories per day while eating 2600, and another guy burns 5600 calories per day while eating 5700. They both slowly gain weight, and if training is correct, it should be mostly muscle for both of them, but isn't the second guy going to have a much different physique after a duration of training this way?

Same thing for cutting?

Eto

Excellent questions.

Whilst I don't really know what the exact answer should be, could it be that the guy who is using 5600 calories ends up with a more defined physique?

Physique aside, there would certainly be a difference in overall conditioning, I would think.

Lets think about the guy burning roughly twice the calories of the other guy. He is working out a lot more, so his CNS, coordination, technique, etc. is more developed. So he probably is able to lift heavier, and have better weight progression. So even though they both have only 100 calorie surplus, the "busier" guy may gain a better portion of muscle.

To say it another way, the busier guy utilizes his 100 calorie surplus better than the other guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pound of fat is 3500 calories, and muscle is around 2500 calories, right? So the busier guy may very well gain more muscle than the other guy, thus staying leaner.

Sounds absolutely right,more muscle more energy burn't, but also the protein utilisation or partitioning should be a whole lot better!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Overtraining comes from stressing one system too heavily — not from simply exercising &quot;too many hours&quot; each week</div>

This a great article. I think John Berardi gets criticised for some of the stuff he says, but he's on the money here and look at his physique in that photo!

Word of warning to those of us that aren't pro-atheletes, progress up slowly, don't go killing yourself with too much too soon, or doing 30 reps HST and tabata like someone we know
tounge.gif
heheh jk You'll find your &quot;g-flux&quot; balance point will increase higher as you get fitter.

G-flux is a pretty stupid name for a fitness concept though, I don't want to say to my clients, &quot;shut up and G-flux!&quot;

I don't think it's anything really that amazing. I think we all pretty much do this kind of stuff already. Gaining a bunch of weight but keeping bodyfat percentage the same isn't a big deal. I did it in 2005, going from 185 to 215 and keeping bodyfat the same. Big whoop. That doesn't mean you didn't gain fat, what it means is that you kept the ratio of fat to lean mass the same. I don't think that is too difficult, I think most of the people here could accomplish it just by eating with a decent surplus and working out properly with HST principles, not going overboard on the eating and not overtraining.

But for the common bro moron, this article is probably pretty useful.

Heheh I think what he's trying to say is that our traditional notions of &quot;no cardio during bulking&quot;, etc. are flawed.

The whole &quot;you can do 9000 cals worth of exercise a day as long as you're eating over 9000 cals of food&quot; is pretty duh bro, but the fact that you can do all that stuff and not get overtrained, and improve each system more or less independently of each other, that's worthwhile I think.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">or doing 30 reps HST and tabata like someone we know  You'll find your &quot;g-flux&quot; balance point will increase higher as you get fitter.</div>

Peak...I get it...I will be more careful as my nutrition is not the best right now, I must confess, my last program i was feeling pretty strong (but was gulping a good protein powder regularly on top of my regular food)
wink.gif
...so naturally I thought it would be a good idea...I even prolongued my program by switching to 5 x 5.

I get your point though...with a pinch of salt of course...I could have just done as O &amp; G says &quot;shut up and lift&quot;...but I wanted opinions...as usual...and guess what I got them...so I am better off for that.

I started again yesterday...it felt hard, but I got through it, that was 3 x 10, pretty much standard newbies stuff, maybe I should just drop the load just a tad!
rock.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">G-flux is a pretty stupid name for a fitness concept though, I don't want to say to my clients, &quot;shut up and G-flux!&quot; </div>

Agreed! Could have chosen a better name for crying out loud!
laugh.gif
Sounds almost like a toilet flushing  
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But for the common bro moron, this article is probably pretty useful.</div>

I just hope I am not counted in that group Tot
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That doesn't mean you didn't gain fat, what it means is that you kept the ratio of fat to lean mass the same.  I don't think that is too difficult, I think most of the people here could accomplish it just by eating with a decent surplus and working out properly with HST principles, not going overboard on the eating and not overtraining.</div>

Exactly the way I see bulking! Don't like to get too fat!

can someone explain this to me in point form,it seems like something like this would be helpful to someone like myself who is an endomorph,correct?
cool.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 29 2006,01:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Peak...I get it...</div>
Haha man I was just stirring!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Matt Daniels @ Oct. 02 2006,00:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can someone explain this to me in point form,it seems like something like this would be helpful to someone like myself who is an endomorph,correct?  
cool.gif
</div>
In point form, based on my understanding of it:

• You physique is a product of your lifestyle: training and diet.

• Your &quot;g-flux&quot; is the “turnover” of your energy in (from food), and your energy out (through activity/exercise).

• You can eat a maintenance diet at 2000 cals a day in and out, or you can be at maintenance at 9000 cals a day in and out if you're an athlete, and the athlete will have a much better physique, even though both are eating maintenance diets.

• The body has different “systems”, including muscles, the vascular system that supplies those muscles, the heart which pumps the blood and the lungs and digestive system that supply the blood with fuel. You can work all these systems and each has an effect on the body (bigger muscles, more capillaries, better fitness, better fat metabolism etc.)

• &quot;Overtraining&quot; symptoms come from working 1 system too much, as opposed to just doing too many hours of exercise. Also comes from inadequate rest or nutrition.

• Almost everyone with a great physique year-round has a high “g-flux”, ie they eat a lot and they exercise/work a lot. Trying to run for 30mins 3x a week on 1800cals might help you to lose weight, but it isn’t going to get you a great physique.

• Its also saying that lots of cardio won't interfere with muscle growth as much as we think it will, though of this depends on whether you're trying to max-bulk/powerlift or just wanting a muscular/athletic physique.

• So eat more and do more! Don't worry about catabolism as long as you're eating enough.

As a result of this article I’ve become inspired to start running and cycling again, and eating heaps more. I had to stop cardio cause I was losing weight during my 10s, and now I’ve put on 4kgs but my stomachs getting bigger.

If I’ve left anything out let me know.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">• So eat more and do more! Don't worry about catabolism as long as you're eating enough.</div>

Exactly what I eventually plan on doing. Unfortunatelly my first attempt washed out!
sad.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As a result of this article I’ve become inspired to start running and cycling again, and eating heaps more. I had to stop cardio cause I was losing weight during my 10s, and now I’ve put on 4kgs but my stomachs getting bigger.</div>

Ah...to cause inspiration is my absolute goal, great to hear that Peak! Watch out for that stomach!
laugh.gif
I remember one holiday I went to a luxury hotel for two weeks, Geee...when I cazm,e back I got a fright, I wa sleeping and out of me there was this protuberance...just did not belong, had to get rid of it.

My motto...if you can't see you pecker or your toes, you have a fat problem and better start working on it fast!
laugh.gif

So,that means that if I decided to run a few times a week,I would have to eat more food for maintenance,but by doing this I would also gain more muscle faster and improve all aspects of my body?

<div>
(Fausto @ Oct. 02 2006,04:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My motto...if you can't see you pecker or your toes, you have a fat problem and better start working on it fast!
laugh.gif
</div>
Haha man its nowhere near that bad! Yet...

Matt Daniels: Running/cardio won't help you put on muscle, but it will improve blood supply, increase your fitness, keep your fat under control, help improve metabolism, and at the end of the year you'll have a better physique than if you didn't. Also you'll be fitter so when you cut so you can do more exercise etc. which is damn hard if you ever go on a below-maintainance diet. But if your body fat's under control you don't need to cut unless you're going in a show.

Think of each different exercise you do as working a different part of your body, and each part will affect your physique in some way (size, tone, fat content etc.)

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Oct. 02 2006,08:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Matt Daniels @ Oct. 02 2006,00:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can someone explain this to me in point form,it seems like something like this would be helpful to someone like myself who is an endomorph,correct?  
cool.gif
</div>
In point form, based on my understanding of it:

• You physique is a product of your lifestyle: training and diet.

• Your &quot;g-flux&quot; is the “turnover” of your energy in (from food), and your energy out (through activity/exercise).

• You can eat a maintenance diet at 2000 cals a day in and out, or you can be at maintenance at 9000 cals a day in and out if you're an athlete, and the athlete will have a much better physique, even though both are eating maintenance diets.

• The body has different “systems”, including muscles, the vascular system that supplies those muscles, the heart which pumps the blood and the lungs and digestive system that supply the blood with fuel. You can work all these systems and each has an effect on the body (bigger muscles, more capillaries, better fitness, better fat metabolism etc.)

• &quot;Overtraining&quot; symptoms come from working 1 system too much, as opposed to just doing too many hours of exercise. Also comes from inadequate rest or nutrition.

• Almost everyone with a great physique year-round has a high “g-flux”, ie they eat a lot and they exercise/work a lot. Trying to run for 30mins 3x a week on 1800cals might help you to lose weight, but it isn’t going to get you a great physique.

• Its also saying that lots of cardio won't interfere with muscle growth as much as we think it will, though of this depends on whether you're trying to max-bulk/powerlift or just wanting a muscular/athletic physique.

• So eat more and do more! Don't worry about catabolism as long as you're eating enough.

As a result of this article I’ve become inspired to start running and cycling again, and eating heaps more. I had to stop cardio cause I was losing weight during my 10s, and now I’ve put on 4kgs but my stomachs getting bigger.

If I’ve left anything out let me know.</div>
good post peak
cool.gif

everyone says you cant gain muscle and lose fat,this may be technicaly correct,if you diet you will lose fat and maybe some muscle.
if you bulk you will gain some muscle and some fat.
the problem is eating at maintanence or just above and knowing how much training to do .
but look at sprinters they never diet,they cannot afford to lose the energy, but they have very low fat with good muscle size
rock.gif

i think it is getting the balance between,lifting,cardio,diet, al bang on
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I suppose during bulking having a faster metabolism would lead to using up stored fat, carbs, protein etc faster than usual, but surely the increased food intake would equally lead to more fat being stored than usual so it would balance out?

Isnt it still simply a case of trying to give your body as many calories as it needs to grow &amp; so eating 500 or so calories over maintenance to try to cover that. Its going to be impossible to know exactly how many calories your body needs at any given time so ultimately the extra calories that arent needed are going to be stored as fat. I dont see why having a faster metabolism would change this?

Sprinters are a good example, but from what ive read they also allow some fat gain during off season which may also be where they gain the most muscle mass increases?

I think the answer to that question is that added fat is the energy that is totally unused. So you're total metabolic needs = resting metabolic needs + activity you do + energy needed to grow. We eat above &quot;maintaince&quot; to provide us with the energy to grow, above the activity we do, but technically it isn't necessary to put on bodyfat and grow muscle, its just impossible to realistically eat exactly the right about of calories, and obviously going over and getting a bit fat is better than not gaining optimum muscle.

So you could eat at the correct level, put on heaps of muscle like that lady with the big legs, and not put on fat or even lose a bit.

Back