Gamers and Nutriton

dkm1987

Well not sport performance per se but I guess some of you youngens might call it a sport. Botton line, you active gamers be sure to drink your pre-game carb shake,

BMJ. 2007 Dec 22;335(7633):1282-4. Links
Comparison of energy expenditure in adolescents when playing new generation and sedentary computer games: cross sectional study.Graves L, Stratton G, Ridgers ND, Cable NT.
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, Liverpool L3 2ET.

OBJECTIVE: To compare the energy expenditure of adolescents when playing sedentary and new generation active computer games. DESIGN: Cross sectional comparison of four computer games. SETTING: Research laboratories. PARTICIPANTS: Six boys and five girls aged 13-15 years. Procedure Participants were fitted with a monitoring device validated to predict energy expenditure. They played four computer games for 15 minutes each. One of the games was sedentary (XBOX 360) and the other three were active (Wii Sports). MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Predicted energy expenditure, compared using repeated measures analysis of variance. RESULTS: Mean (standard deviation) predicted energy expenditure when playing Wii Sports bowling (190.6 (22.2) kJ/kg/min), tennis (202.5 (31.5) kJ/kg/min), and boxing (198.1 (33.9) kJ/kg/min) was significantly greater than when playing sedentary games (125.5 (13.7) kJ/kg/min) (P<0.001). Predicted energy expenditure was at least 65.1 (95% confidence interval 47.3 to 82.9) kJ/kg/min greater when playing active rather than sedentary games. CONCLUSIONS: Playing new generation active computer games uses significantly more energy than playing sedentary computer games but not as much energy as playing the sport itself. The energy used when playing active Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children.

That was the excuse I was waiting for to buy my Nintendo Wii.
wink.gif

Back