Getting back into HST

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_danishabs
  • Start date Start date
Style,
no, it is the article in hypertrophy-research site, but by the same guy Ridgely and he is recommending.... to INCREASE the number of sets as you change mesocycle (that is diminish the reps).... BTW, immediately after this thread I will open a new thread about that article and since I am starting a new cycle I decided to give it a try to see the difference..... pls, is it possible to have your comments on what I am intending to do ??.... thxs

Okay, so I just counted up the diet. I'm starting the cycle tomorrow. Here's how the diet looks:

Meal 1: Protein drink - 450 calories
Oatmeal - 300 calories

Meal 2: Roast Beef or Chicken Breast sandwich - 300 calories

Meal 3: Whole grain bread with natural peanut butter -
300 calories
Protein drink - 450 calories

Meal 4: Roast beef or chicken breast sandwich with baby spinach leaves- 350 calories

Meal 5: Half can of almonds - 850 calories

Meal 6 (right before bed): Protein drink - 450 calories
3 whole eggs - 240 calories

All this comes out to about 3500 - 3800, since there will be some small variations from day to day. On workout days, I'll get an additional 400 calories from my post-workout carb-protein supplement. If I put raspberries and 10 oz of milk in my oatmeal, that's another 190 calories. Wow. Considering how much protein I'll also be getting, I can't avoid gaining weight. Things are looking good. Later on, I'll go through and count up how many grams of each micronutrient I'll be getting.

As for the workout, I'm thinking I'll do 10-pound increments every two workouts for those compound exercises like squats, as someone suggested. Tonight, while I'm at work, I'll write down exactly what weights I'll use for each workout, and I'll be all set for tomorrow.

I may or may not do the negatives at the end of the cycle. I probably won't be able to get a workout partner, so I might just continue with the 5's.

My goal is to get back up to 180 by the end of the cycle. I'm hoping "muscle memory" isn't a myth
biggrin.gif

Sound good?

Danish

I believe being overfed on non-training days, gives your body the extra recuperation it needs.

I obviously did not work out your caloric requirements but you should be just fine! Sounds like you did your homework!

Now go push...and come tells us the wonders of it!
laugh.gif

Well, I did the first day of the 15's today. Dear LORD. lol

I did 95 pounds on the squats, 95 pounds on deadlifts, 85 pounds on stiff leg deadlifts, 85 pounds on incline bench press, body-weight on pullups and dips (and I only managed to get 12 or 13 reps on each of those), 75 pounds on barbell row, and 60 pounds on military press.

Last night I did all the calculations for the workout, and I spent about an hour doing calculations and estimating my 10RM and 15RM for each exercise. I worked it out so that I would always use a 10 pound increment for every exercise but military press, but I would always start out with a load that was at least 70% of my maximum for that rep range. So, this should be perfect.

In addition, because of the hours I work, I am GUARANTEED at least 8 hours of sleep a night. I plan on getting 8 hours every single night, and never any more than 9 hours. So that should be perfect.

It seems I've got every angle covered, here. I can't help but gain weight.

So, today in my workout, I was hurting. LOL. Doing three major compound leg exercises (squats, deadlifts, stiff-leg-deadlifts), 2 sets of 15 reps each, is TORTURE. My legs were trembling throughout the rest of my workout, which made bent-over barbell rows a little difficult.

Nonetheless, I managed to push out my 15 reps for every exercise except pullups and dips, which I'm using a different system for anyway (just adding five pounds every three or four workouts and doing as many reps as I can).

However, starting with incline press, I began to feel rather nautious. After my workout, I went to the bathroom, and knew that if I didn't puke now, I would surely puke after I took my post-workout supps (and I don't feel like wasting four bucks lol). So I went to the toilet and barfed my guts out. It was mainly water, and a little bit of oatmeal lol.

After that, I felt much better, and I drank my post-workout supplements just fine. About a hundred grams of carbs and 40 grams of protein. I figure what I might do is drink half of this before the workout, and half of it after, as that would give me about the amount that's recommended for pre-and-post-workout nutrtition in the HSN section.

So on Sunday I'll be going back to the gym for another session of high-rep torture. I figure it won't be so bad once I get to the 10's, as that's not so high-rep, and I won't have to puke.

On a lighter note, I got a pretty good pump
biggrin.gif

Style,
no, it is the article in hypertrophy-research site, but by the same guy Ridgely and he is recommending.... to INCREASE the number of sets as you change mesocycle (that is diminish the reps).... BTW, immediately after this thread I will open a new thread about that article and since I am starting a new cycle I decided to give it a try to see the difference..... pls, is it possible to have your comments on what I am intending to do ??.... thxs

D you mean increase the number of sets from 2 to 3 to 6 to keep the reps constant at 30?

yes, exactly.... if you start with:

- 1 set in your 15's , then in your 10's you should do 2 sets, because 2x10 >= 1x15, thus you are increasing the work or effort all the time...... if you repeat 1 set, then you will be doing 1x10 = 10 < 15, therefore, your TUT (or TUL) diminishes.... then in your 5's you should do 4 sets because 4x5 >= 2x10, so at least you keep constant your TUT in the first workout of your 5's (provided you repeat the weight at least)

Style, I am using it and believe me ... I am marvelled, it is absurd to think that my muscles have grown this way in 3 weeks but there is a "change", definitely.... I'd rather call it 'ETERNAL PUMP", he he he
biggrin.gif
.. the best thing is that I still feel far away from feeling overtrained

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 11 2006,06:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">From an interview to Dr. Berardi

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wannabebig: Great, you hate my question - how about this one. How much protein should a bodybuilder/athlete consume to maximize muscle and strength gains?

John B: Now that's better! I usually recommend that protein intake be in the neighborhood of 3-4g/kg. If this recommendation seems excessive and you think that you should stop this interview right now, hang on one second.

Again, I'm not crazy. Basically the reason someone might think this intake is excessive is because they have a narrow view of how protein fits into one's dietary strategy.

They're looking at protein in the same narrow way that people used to look at vitamin C; essential at a specific dose but conferring no additional benefits with a higher intake.

With vitamin C, we all know it's important to consume enough of it (at least 10mg/day) to prevent scurvy. However, it's also commonly known there are a host of health benefits associated with much higher doses (200mg/day or more) including a reduced risk of cancer, increased HDL cholesterol, reduced risk of coronary artery disease, and a reduced duration of cold episodes and severity of symptoms.

Like vitamin C, instead of thinking of protein as a macronutrient that provides no benefit beyond preventing protein deficiency, we need to recognize the benefits of eating protein (at any dose).

Increased Thermic Effect of Feeding - While all macronutrients require metabolic processing for digestion, absorption, and storage or oxidation, the thermic effect of protein is roughly double that of carbohydrates and fat.

Therefore, eating protein is actually thermogenic and can lead to a higher metabolic rate. This means greater fat loss when dieting and less fat gain during overfeeding.

Increased Glucagon - Protein consumption increases plasma concentrations of the hormone glucagon.

Glucagon is responsible for antagonizing the effects of insulin in adipose tissue, leading to greater fat mobilization.

In addition, glucagon also decreases the amounts and activities of the enzymes responsible for making and storing fat in adipose and liver cells. Again, this leads to greater fat loss during dieting and less fat gain during overfeeding.

Increased IGF-1 - Protein and amino-acid supplementation has been shown to increase the IGF-1 response to both exercise and feeding.

Since IGF-1 is an anabolic hormone that's related to muscle growth, another advantage associated with consuming more protein is more muscle growth when overfeeding and/or muscle sparing when dieting.

Reduction in Cardiovascular Risk - Several studies have shown that increasing the percentage of protein in the diet (from 11% to 23%) while decreasing the percentage of carbohydrate (from 63% to 48%) lowers LDL cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations with concomitant increases in HDL cholesterol concentrations.

Improved Weight-Loss Profile - New research by Layman and colleagues has demonstrated that reducing the carbohydrate ratio from 3.5 - 1 to 1.4 - 1 increases body fat loss, spares muscle mass, reduces triglyceride concentrations, improves satiety, and improves blood glucose management (Layman et al 2003 - If you're at all interested in protein intake, you've gotta go read the January and February issues of the Journal of Nutrition. Layman has three interesting articles in the two journals).

Increased Protein Turnover - All tissues of the body, including muscle, go through a regular program of turnover.

Since the balance between protein breakdown and protein synthesis governs muscle protein turnover, you need to increase your protein turnover rates in order to best improve your muscle quality.

A high protein diet does just this. By increasing both protein synthesis and protein breakdown, a high protein diet helps you get rid of the old muscle more quickly and build up new, more functional muscle to take its place.

Increased Nitrogen Status - Earlier I indicated that a positive nitrogen status means that more protein is entering the body than is leaving the body.

High protein diets cause a strong positive protein status and when this increased protein availability is coupled with an exercise program that increases the body's anabolic efficiency, the growth process may be accelerated. Increased Provision of

Auxiliary Nutrients - Although the benefits mentioned above have related specifically to protein and amino acids, it's important to recognize that we don't just eat protein and amino acids - we eat food.

Therefore, high protein diets often provide auxiliary nutrients that could enhance performance and/or muscle growth.

These nutrients include creatine, branched chain amino acids, conjugated linoleic acids, and/or additional nutrients that are important but remain to be discovered.

This illustrates the need to get most of your protein from food, rather than supplements alone. Looking over this list of benefits, isn't it clear that getting lots of protein would be advantageous to anyone's training goals?

Since a high protein diet can lead to a better health profile, an increased metabolism, improved body composition, and an improved training response, why would anyone ever try to limit their protein intake to the bare minimum necessary to stave off malnutrition?</div></div>
hmmm this is what it says in the faq..
Seems like they contradict eachother ?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, most guys take in too much protein. It isn't that too much protein will hurt them - assuming they are healthy to begin with - but too much protein can actually inhibit gains. I know, it sounds totally contradictory to what you read everywhere, but it is true. Let me explain.

The ability of the body to grow is effected by the ratio of protein to carbs. It is an inverted U shaped curve - or bell curve - where the top or highest point of the curve is a ratio of 12-15% protein to carbs (diet consisting of ~15% protein). At one peak you have all carbs, at the other you have all protein. It has to do with thermogenesis and hormones.

So, if a skinny guy wants to gain weight, he needs to plan a diet where he gets 15% of his calories from protein.
Now this may seem contradictory to the general rule of 1 gram per pound bodyweight. I'm not saying that a guy can't gain weight with more than 15% calories from protein, I'm only saying that weight gain is greatest at 15%. He will be ok with an intake of 0.75 grams/pound FFM to gain muscle. In fact, everybody should use FFM instead of bodyweight to plan protein intake, but sometimes it's just too hard to figure it out, so most people use bodyweight.

For a guy who isn't all that skinny, or even a little fat, he should increase his protien intake to 20-25%. This will increase thermogenesis and prevent some fat gain as calories increase above maintenance.

The problem with protein cycling is that it is hard ot get ahead of your body when it comes to managing protein. The body adapts fairly quickly to changes in protien intake. If you eat more during the day, your body will get rid of more during the night. That changes according to intake on a daily basis.

Longer term, your body will adjust to a drop in protein intake over the course of 12-14 days. In other words, you will go into a negative nitrogen balance on day one, and it takes about 12-14 days for your body to be able to reeduce protein breakdown to the point of reaching balance again.

Some may argue about the different turnover rates of muscle protein and splanchnic proteins. This should have led to real success from protein cycling, yet it hasn't.

If you do decide to cycle your protein, I would not drop your intake below 15% (or ~1g/kg bodyweight) while maintaining total calories. Then keep protein intake at this lowered level for at least 2 weeks.

Your diet can effect Test and IGFBPs. IGFBPs dictate how much IGF-1 is actually available for your body. Too much protein relative will lower insulin, and thus available IGF-1 and free test levels. Too little fat will also lower test levels. Keeping fat at 30% of total calories is optimum for testosterone.</div>

Its open to interpretation. Id shoot towards low when bulking and high when cutting like bryan suggested.

Today I weighed in at 182 pounds without clothes on! That means that in this cycle I've gained 10 pounds. For me, this is unheard of. I haven't gained a lot of fat, either.

I have three workouts left, then I'll do a couple weeks of strategic deconditioning before starting up another cycle.

Today I weighed in at 182 pounds without clothes on!  Before I started, I was weighing in at 172 pounds without clothes on, so that means that in this cycle I've gained 10 pounds.  For me, this is unheard of.  I haven't gained a lot of fat, either.

I have three workouts left, then I'll do a couple weeks of strategic deconditioning before starting up another cycle.

Back