Ginkgo Biloba Reduces cortisol release

Fausto

HST Expert
Ginkgo biloba reduces cortisol release

One recent study found that a special extract of Ginkgo biloba, EGb 761, reduces cortisol release and prevents the characteristic rise in blood pressure brought on by a combination of physical and mental stresses (Ref 1). The results from this study suggest that ginkgo extracts may be of use in preventing the production of cortisol in response to heavy exercise. This is something that you should definitely keep in mind as a preventative measure to help offset the development of overtraining syndrome, or OTS.

Scientific Reference

(Ref. 1) Jezova, D. et al. (2002) Reduction of rise in blood pressure and cortisol release during stress by Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) in healthy volunteers. American Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Volume 53 (3), pages 337-348.

The results of this study are described in detail at the following link:

Ginkgo biloba

and...

Other than ginkgo’s potential benefits for athletes, I would also strongly recommend anyone over 30, and most certainly urge the elderly, to take this particular extract of ginkgo on a daily basis. However, as always check with your doctor, or health care professional, before making any changes to your nutritional regimen.

A full discussion of Ginkgo's many benefits can be found on the same posted link

Good find, Fauster! I may yet add that to my regimen, after testing for HRT. If I can remember it's name....DOH!!!

Interesting. Yet another potential candidate for the monthly shopping list. I'm pretty much maxed out on spending for my food and other supps/vitamins already.
sad.gif

Back