Grasping HST

<div>
(James1050 @ Apr. 25 2006,09:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(James1050 @ Apr. 24 2006,21:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh, and with one exercise I do, Straight Legged Standing Calf Raises, I just can't go to failure, so after I do ten reps, I just do a whole bunch of miniature ones that just burn until I can't take it anymore.  I just can't seem to fail from just doing the full calf raise.  Any help?</div>
Well that brings me to the above question, how do you suggest I solve it?</div>
are you using enough weight..if you are dont worry as long as the weight progresses it doesnt really matter if you dont reach faliure..some guys only go to faliure in the 5s its your choice
biggrin.gif

oh another things I'm embarrassed about and not sure HST will work is the fact the I can only bench two 10 kgs plates. 50 pounds is 22.7 kilos so I can't even bench 50 pounds:(. Same with squat two ten kilo plates:(. The bars are very thick though, they weigh another twenty kilos, but that's besides the point it's still very light:(. Do you suggest I wait until I get more strength because if i need to go down in 6 ten pound increments to work up to my max I'll b einthe negatives:(. OH and with the smaller movements such as dumbell curls, people suggest only going down in 5 pound increments, but our dumbells go up by the 5 pounds so with each increment I have to go up 10 pounds because there are none inbetween:(.

Sorry if I'm confusing you..

10k is 22lb so on an olympic bar you will be doing 40k or 88lb..do this..
if you have to use the same weight on db for 3 times thats ok as long as the weight increases over the cycle
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

James, I think I can help you on this because I used to think I had that problem.... but actually the problem was in my mind..... it looked as if there was not link between the corresponding motor unit and those muscles.....I realized that calves exercise requires your most full concentration on it in order to for the reps to be done correctly.... if you do it based on normal feelings you think you are doing it right when actually you are not doing the full range of motion..... you need on your eccentric movement stretch your calves fully and in your concentric movement you really need to focus 100% and make sure your whole heel is all the way up.... no half way through or something like that.... otherwise , of course no failure.... by really getting a steep inclination of your feet and holding the peak in both movements you will be able to feel the muscle as it shoudl be.... and before you know it you will be failing WITH LOW WEIGHT !!!!!....... once you can improve this link between your nervous system and your muscle you can treat it as any other muscle.

Thankyou very much guys:D. I'll try that out with the calf raises. So if my 15 RM with dumbells were two 25 pounds, then I should go 10,10,15,15,20,25? That seems like next to nothing I'll hardly be doing anything?

Thanks again:)

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 27 2006,03:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Faz, Isn't an olympic bar 45 lbs?</div>
its 20k 44lbs plus 2 tens 88lbs

<div>
(James1050 @ Apr. 26 2006,17:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thankyou very much guys:D. I'll try that out with the calf raises. So if my 15 RM with dumbells were two 25 pounds, then I should go 10,10,15,15,20,25? That seems like next to nothing I'll hardly be doing anything?

Thanks again:)</div>
any help/suggestions? I really want to get into HSt but I think that my lifts are too light:(.

Hi James,

Don't bother with the 10lb dbs. Start with the 15lb dbs and use them for your first two w/os. Do a whole pile of reps during the first few w/os if they feel light. You want to get a good burn. So, concentrate on a really smooth motion and ty for 20/25 reps if you can (but avoid killing yourself).

Use 15lb twice, 20lb twice and 25lb twice to make up you six w/os during 15s.

A good rule of thumb is to start the 15s with a weight that is not less than 50% of your 5RM weight. Don't worry if it's a bit lighter this time around but if it's much lighter you might want to double up or triple up on the weights used (ie. 20,20,20,25,25,25) until you build up your strength a bit.

Have fun.
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">oh another things I'm embarrassed about and not sure HST will work is the fact the I can only bench two 10 kgs plates. 50 pounds is 22.7 kilos so I can't even bench 50 pounds:(.</div>

I was in the same boat about six months back - when I worked out the lower end of my 15-rep phase for squats, the spreadsheet told me the unloaded 20kg bar was too heavy. Don't even ask what the bench press situation was. ;)

I used a Smith machine for squats and bench press on that cycle, because the bar is counterbalanced and effectively weighs nothing. If you don't have access to a Smith machine, you could try just holding dumbells to the equivalent weight.

Stick with it, though, and definitely don't leave them out. I just measured my 5rm for my next cycle, and it's up to 80kg, which is more than I weigh. I was chuffed.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So if my 15 RM with dumbells were two 25 pounds, then I should go 10,10,15,15,20,25? That seems like next to nothing I'll hardly be doing anything?</div>

You should start out with about two-thirds of your rep max, which in this case would be about 17lbs. If your DBs only go up in steps of 5lbs, you could try: 5,15,20,20,25,25

Chris.

you could add more weight to your calf raise. Im sure theres probably a weight thats more than you could lift 10 times.

For example. My Striaght leg calf raise HST plan.

For my 15's I do only one set. Calfraises shown only

Monday 15 x 160lbs
Wednesday 15 x 180lbs
Friday 15 x 185lbs
Monday2 15 x 205lbs
Wednesday2 15x230
Friday2 15x255

So my 15 rep max was 255 but I find with HST by the time I get around to doing it on friday2, my strength has increased a bit due to the progressive loading so I dont fail. I got all 15 and probably could have done 1 or 2 more.
THis is what you want from HST.
I just finished my first week of 10's. I think with HST ive put on 2 lbs but I wasn't eating enough during my 15's.

you could add more weight to your calf raise. Im sure theres probably a weight thats more than you could lift 10 times.

Monday 15 x 160lbs
Wednesday 15 x 180lbs
Friday 15 x 185lbs
Monday2 15 x 205lbs
Wednesday2 15x230
Friday2 15x255

So my 15 rep max was 255 but I find with HST by the time I get around to doing it on friday2, my strength has increased a bit due to the progressive loading so I dont fail. I got all 15 and probably could have done 1 or 2 more.
I just finished my first week of 10's. I think with HST ive put on 2 lbs but I wasn't eating enough during my 15's.

Monday 15 x 160lbs
Wednesday 15 x 180lbs
Friday 15 x 185lbs
Monday2 15 x 205lbs
Wednesday2 15x230
Friday2 15x255

Monday 15 x 160lbs
Wednesday 15 x 180lbs
Friday 15 x 185lbs
Monday2 15 x 205lbs
Wednesday2 15x230
Friday2 15x255

lol thanks a lot guys, I plan to start HST when I get back from my vacation which will be a three week break from training to really shock myself. I've gotta get all this down to a t. But if I spend a week finding my rep maxes then that'll be 4 weeks of so I'm not sure..

Monday 15 x 160lbs
Wednesday 15 x 180lbs
Friday 15 x 185lbs
Monday2 15 x 205lbs
Wednesday2 15x230
Friday2 15x255

sorry about repeating myself. I was getting error 500 as usually but I didn't notice there was a page 2 of the topic, so when I checked at the end of page one, I didn't see it there. So i Kept sending it.

At least it wasn't on the main part.
tounge.gif

Back