Grasping HST

James1050

From going over this I can't grasp the whole principles of HST. I know that you need to find your 15, 10 and 5 rep maxes, but don't you need to work up to them, not going to failure straight off, I just can't find where it has been thoroughly explained. ANd on the tables, what does W&N grip mean.

This is the parts I'm reading I hope it is the right pages http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Can someone sumamrise and point me in the right direction of how to get a better knowledge of this?

Can anyone link me to pages where it thoroughly states what to do in HST. I couldn't get a grasp on it from the main page:(.

W/N means Wide and Narrow grip.

For example you can do chins with a wide grip or a narrow grip for different variations.

Go to the FAQ forum and look at the sticky it will help understand HST better.

In a nutshell I will tell you about it.

HST promotes principals for muscle growth.

Frequency, load, SD or strategic decoditioning and others as well.

When doing Vanilla HST you do it in 3 segments 15, 10, 5's.

Generally we keep sets low and volume low so we can increase high frequency "at least 3 days a week"

On top of training every 48 hours we increase our poundage or load every workout or every other workout...ie. load.

The increase frequency, the increased load each workout puts your body in a great growth mode and keeps protein synthesis high by training every 48 hours or so.

Generally everyone performs 1 to 2 sets of 15's 2 to 3 sets of 10's and 5's. Other do more...like myself however I have been lifting for years.

The main thing to remember is workout every other day, use compound movements and increase your weights every workout or every other workout. If you do this along with proper protein and nutrition you will grow!

Welcome
biggrin.gif

1.Find your maxes for the 15', 10's, 5's
2.Work up to your maxes over 6 workouts eg. 3 workouts per week, 2 weeks for each max

Ex. 15's
15 RM=100
Wo1-75
wo2-80
Wo3-85
Wo4-90
Wo5-95
Wo6-100

Do the same for each exercise you use and the same for each RM phase eg. 10's and 5's

Read these also

Skip to Part 2

HST for Dummies

That will get you started. For any other questions on volume, frequency or other training variables within HST read the corresponding HST FAQ

Thanks guys, oh another question, should I spread out the testing of my 15, 10, and 5 rep maxes over a period of time, because by the time I get through a certain amount, I might be fatigued and it might not be accurate? Oh and I'm going on holiday for 3 weeks with no training (yes I know a bit longer than normal deconditioning), should I find out my maxes before I go, they might be bigger after such a big break because I'll have all my engery back.

Thanks guys.

1 week is enough to find your RM's..... it took me 2 days per RM...... because I have about 40 exercises in my exercise pool, then I choose the ones I consider the most convenient for the cycle and the others as replacement just in case a machine or dumbells or barbell rack is extremely busy at the gym...... take at least like 3 minutes rest between tries.... otherwise your RM will not be really your RM

by the way, I don't think in terms of results it matters if you have 2-3 week deconditioning....... in some terms it is better because your muscles will be "more" deconditioned, now, I don't know if after 3 weeks you are already losing muscles...... once I read somewhere that after 14 days you start losing muscle mass if no exercise is done.

The easiest way is to find your 15 RM on Monday, 10 RM on Wed and 5 RM on Fri. Do this before you go on vacation. The 3 weeks of no training will make your cycle a good one, assuming you eat enough during your cycle.

Thanks guys, I leave in a month, I'll get my maxes the week before I go, but thge thing is, I'd have been training for about 9-10 weeks (I know a lot) by then and overtraining symptoms (already) are starting to rear their ugly head. Should I worry about this, I just want to stake it out because I know I've got a big break ahead of me in Thailand, oh and 90A% of the hotels I'm going to have gyms, do you think I should do some light work?

Oh, and with one exercise I do, Straight Legged Standing Calf Raises, I just can't go to failure, so after I do ten reps, I just do a whole bunch of miniature ones that just burn until I can't take it anymore. I just can't seem to fail from just doing the full calf raise. Any help?

<div>
(James1050 @ Apr. 24 2006,21:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh, and with one exercise I do, Straight Legged Standing Calf Raises, I just can't go to failure, so after I do ten reps, I just do a whole bunch of miniature ones that just burn until I can't take it anymore. I just can't seem to fail from just doing the full calf raise. Any help?</div>
Well that brings me to the above question, how do you suggest I solve it?

Back