Great Article

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Feb. 04 2007,21:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can you help me?</div>
Role of Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis in Resistance to Fat Gain in Humans
James A. Levine,et al. Science 283 , 212 (1999);

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Feb. 05 2007,15:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Right now I agree with quadlancer that the article by Kelly is crap. Mainly because its unreferenced. Why should I take his word for it?</div>
i think what you have to keep in mind is what this actually is....

its an article on his web site about his training philosophy. there are dozens of topics he touches on (paragraph or two) which if he cited the reference for all that info it (the ref) would be longer then the article. personally i think its ideal for what it was aimed at doing.....give someone new to his website a relatively brief overview of his lifting/gaining philosophy.

keep in mind he did not post this here so its easily taken out of context so to say its crap b/c it does not have references is a little strong (imo). it would be like plucking out one of the testimonials and then tearing down what it said b/c it wasnt performed under labratory conditions.

either way i liked what he had to say (in a general sense) and am impressed he sought an outside opinion/critique which is almost unheard of in many places these days.

This article is better than 90% of the stuff you'll find in magazines, on bb.com or t-nation.com. I think if a lot of guys started out on something like this instead of the magazines full of steroid users, there would be far fewer &quot;bros&quot; out there polluting the knowledge pool with retarded ideas about training.

Well like Tot said its better than your average read.

Also I don't think that there needs to be science and reference behind every fact or opinion.

The world is not flat...but I don't know were the reference is for this?
laugh.gif

Also I can understand to a new user here at HST or a noob in general who doesn't know this guy.

But one thing you will learn if you stay here long enough...and that is the people to listen to.

For example as I have stated earlier some good names that you will see among this site are: Bryan Haycock,Blade (well use to) Dan Moore, Michael Novak, Aarron F...etc.

If you read any of these guys educated posts it will lead you over to bodyrecomposition, or MAX STIM, HST forums...etc.

My point is all of these guys are pretty damn smart and they all in some way or another communicate among the fitness world.

So when any of them speak or there friends speak...in this case Dans Friend...you better listen b/c its better than that crap you will buy at the store (Flex magazine).

But but but but...ya mean I'm not gonna find the perfect workout in Flax magazine...or Muscle and Fitness??? Oh MY!!!!

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 06 2007,19:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But but but but...ya mean I'm not gonna find the perfect workout in Flax magazine...or Muscle and Fitness??? Oh MY!!!!</div>
Heheh. The really funny thing is, most guys don't realize that. I'll admit, my first workout routine was just some crap I threw together, but my second serious routine was from one of those magazines. After a while of crap results, I found this site and haven't looked back.
This stuff may all seem obvious to us, but to a lot of guys, it isn't.

I suppose we could win over a lot of them out there if we put some 'roidmonsters pics on the homepage wrapped in swimsuit models and make a lot of promises in the header of 100+lb. monthly gains!

<div>
(Totentanz @ Feb. 06 2007,21:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 06 2007,19:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But but but but...ya mean I'm not gonna find the perfect workout in Flax magazine...or Muscle and Fitness??? Oh MY!!!!</div>
Heheh. The really funny thing is, most guys don't realize that. I'll admit, my first workout routine was just some crap I threw together, but my second serious routine was from one of those magazines. After a while of crap results, I found this site and haven't looked back.
This stuff may all seem obvious to us, but to a lot of guys, it isn't.</div>
It is sad but true. Fortunately, HST and I met when I was at the young age of 20.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 06 2007,23:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I suppose we could win over a lot of them out there if we put some 'roidmonsters pics on the homepage wrapped in swimsuit models and make a lot of promises in the header of 100+lb. monthly gains!</div>
Pretty much that's all you can do to win over most of them. Most guys out there seriously expect to get steroid like gains if they have the right routine, regardless of what their diet is. &quot;Oh, you gotta EAT to gain weight?!&quot;
The other problem is that most are too lazy to do their own research. They just take the word of other people for it. Big mistake, in my opinion... I always check up on stuff people tell me before I consider it worthwhile. I think most of us have learned that lesson.

I have only skimmed this article but so far my favorite part is where it says:

6. When is not getting enough work in an issue?

Realistically, unless you’re referring to idiotic style Mentzer type HIT routines, ...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't understand you guys who have a problem with this article. Most of it is VERY accurate! I thought it was very good. Anybody following the ptinciples outlined will grow.

My favorite part....something I learned from Dan Moore, and what I consider to be the greatest part about Max-stim and clustering type training.......

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">5a. Increasing work though increasing bar weight, while keeping the number of repetitions per workout relatively constant, has shown dramatic improvements in hypertrophy, yet increasing the number of reps without intentionally ever trying to increase the load has a much larger influence on the endurance and metabolic efficiency of the muscle cell. Thus, for pure gains in solid muscle mass, gradually increasing bar weight while maintaining a certain number of reps per workout is key.</div>

I believe this is THE BEST way to train.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 07 2007,20:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't understand you guys who have a problem with this article.  Most of it is VERY accurate!  I thought it was very good.  Anybody following the ptinciples outlined will grow.</div>
Im with you brother!
biggrin.gif

Back