GREAT Results --> re: Return to HST vs. strength training

cnegotiator

I posted almost two months ago that I was returning to HST after 3-4 years of not working out. Prior to that, I had followed HST principles for 3 years or so and had amazing results (i.e., bench press increase from 165 to 275 after I had been stuck on 165 for a year).

This is the second time I tried to go back to lifting; once strength training about 8 months ago, and this time with HST. The differences in my return are drastic.

Initially with strength training (chest day, bis tris day, back/shoulders day, leg day, repeat), my numbers barely increased, and my stamina still dragged. I was hoping to do that until I got stronger, and than jump back into the more difficult HST. But it took so long to get stronger, I became discouraged and quit (again).

This time I jumped right into HST, and I finished my first cycle and just began my next. At the start, I was struggling to even do 5-7 reps (even with light weight during 15s). Here are the way my numbers increased: (keep in mind, I'm a small, stocky guy, extremely hard-gainer; about 5"7' and 170lb).

Main compounds:

Squat: 95 -->185
Leg Press: 190 -->400
Deadlift: (stopped, back pain/form issues; will work with trainer before restarting)
Bench Press: 75 machine/95 bench --> 200 (on each)
Pulldowns: 80 --> 185 (200 for 3 reps... couldn't quite get 5!)
Arnolds/MilPress --> 20/65 --> 45/155
Abs: BW or machines; overall increase in reps and stamina
Dips: BW overall increase in reps and stamina

Isos:
Bis: machine 25 lbs-->80 lbs
Tris: pulldowns 50-->120
Forward lat raises: 15-->35

Additionally, the physical differences in my physique are extremely difference then with purely strength training. I actually gained 15 pounds, while simultaneously toning my body and reducing my stomach fat (still got a lot of work to go there!). Granted, i'm sure some of it is water weight, but I know I gained a lot of muscles; especially considering I also lost a good amount of fat.

Conclusion:

Jump right into HST on a return, or even a first timer! While those 15s were absolutely KILLER, and not fun to do, it paid off. Moreover, the increases in my strength, stamina, and overall appearance are in another league compared to just basic strength training. Another HST victory!

Back