Great Results

twerner25

Hi all,

Just want to update everyone and also let everyone know that my skeptisim is gone!!!!!!I truley believe in HST after just two weeks. I went into this with low expectations. Remember I am a experienced lifter with 10yrs of lifting and 4 yrs of bodybuilding competitions, but I am a newbie to this and very open for any suggestions. My aches and pains are gone!!! I feel like in the past I have wasted alot of time and energy.

My plan Week 1-2 1x15
3-4 2x10
5-6 3x5
7-8 3x5

Here is my current routine

warm up 10min
Hack Squats
Leg Curls
Standing Calf
Bench Press
Dumbell Incline
Asst Chins
Seated Rows
Shoulder DB Press
Lateral Raises
EZ Bar Curls
Barbell Shrugs
Tricep Pushdowns
Weighted Crunches

I plan on cutting back on exercise as I get to 2x10 and cut back again when I get to 3x5. Sound like a plan? Open for suggestions, PLEASE

Trey

I finished my first HST cycle after starting off wrong (no SD), and then injuring myself (old injury) about week five. Even though those things happened, I still gained 3.5 pounds of LBM and only .25 LB of fat.

I am happy with that. I am now into my third week of the second HST (after 9 days SD) and am expecting great results - even for being about 50 years old!

Oh, as far as your plan, I am basically doing the opposite of what you suggested. I did/do:

WK1 - 1X15's of 9 exercises
WK2 - 2X12's of 9 exercises
WK3 - 3X10's of 9 exercises
WK4 - 3X10's of 9 exercises
WK5 - 4X8's of 9 exercises
WK6 - 4X8's of 9 exercises
WK7 - 3 or 4X6's of 9 exercises
WK8 - 3 or 4X6's of 9 exercises

I tried to do 27 sets of about 99 different exercise and it seemed to be too much moving around and not enough resting. I like the 9 simple exercises because it's easier to manage and I spend less time in the gym swapping plates around.

Just my two cents!

Congrats guys! Welcome to your new routine. I was much less experience in lifting when I started HST at the age of 20. I am now 23 and in the 3's of my 17th HST cycle, about a cycle or two away from where I want to be physically (been cutting for a year after an accidental balloon bulk the prior year).

thanks colby2152,

What does your current routine look like? I am trying to compare and see what exercises other lifters are doing so I can make some adjustments to.

I could see no holes in that routine. Nice layout.

Ideas for volume reduction in 10s and 5s

10s:

Consider antagonistic suppersets and giant sets before reducing volume. If volume must be reduced, it can be phased easily as below or try an A/B split to maintain some of the secondary lifts.

Workout 7 Workout 8 Workout 9
Hack Squats Hack Squats Hack Squats
Standing Calf Leg Curls Standing Calf
Bench Press Bench Press Bench Press
Dumbell Incline Asst Chins Dumbell Incline
Asst Chins Seated Rows Asst Chins
Shoulder DB Press Shoulder DB Press Shoulder DB Press
Lateral Raises EZ Bar Curls Lateral Raises
EZ Bar Curls Barbell Shrugs EZ Bar Curls
Barbell Shrugs Tricep Pushdowns Barbell Shrugs
Tricep Pushdowns Weighted Crunches Tricep Pushdowns
Weighted Crunches                                Weighted Crunches

Workout 10 Workout 11 Workout 12
Hack Squats Hack Squats Hack Squats
Leg Curls Standing Calf Leg Curls
Bench Press Bench Press Bench Press
Asst Chins Dumbell Incline Asst Chins
Seated Rows Asst Chins Seated Rows
Shoulder DB Press Shoulder DB Press Shoulder DB Press
EZ Bar Curls Lateral Raises EZ Bar Curls
Barbell Shrugs EZ Bar Curls Barbell Shrugs
Tricep Pushdowns Barbell Shrugs Tricep Pushdowns
Weighted Crunches Tricep Pushdowns Weighted Crunches
                               Weighted Crunches

Workout 13 - 18
Hack Squats
Bench Press
Asst Chins
Shoulder DB Press
EZ Bar Curls
Barbell Shrugs
Tricep Pushdowns
Weighted Crunches

master,

thanks for the reply, but what 9 exercises are you currently doing right now? Why are you doing up to 3-4 sets in some of your lifts. Researching the HST articles, it recommends up to 2 sets max, due to the intensity the lifter is suppose to have.

thanks wildman,

just the info I am looking for. I agree with you 100%. The split is a great idea. After my first 8 weeks of HST, how much time should I take off to rest?

Also what is your opinion in the number of sets one does. I see some lifters all the way to 4 sets. What has worked best for you?

Twerner

I have two sets of exercises I do - to keep from getting bored. I have an "A" set and a "B" set. I have both of them printed together on one HST calculator - then I simply pick which exercise from each body group I want to do that day. I try and mix up my compound movements with any "isolation" exercises I do.

I guess I am just so used to doing so much that I feel like I need it sometimes. Before HST, I went from doing 12 to 15 sets per bodypart down to the recommended 1-3, per the HST guideline. This ended up being up to 6 sets less per week, per bodypart, which is great! I will most likely shoot for 2 sets minimum, but reserve the option to do up to 4 sets - depending on whether my planned numbers worked or not, and how I feel.

SET A                       SET B
Squats                                Extensions
Flat bench                           Incline bench
Shoulder press                   Arnolds
Pullups                                Seated rows
Chinups                              Preachers
Bench dips                          Partial tricep presses
Shrugs                                Same shrugs
Calf raises                           Same calf raises
Hamstrings                         Same hamstrings

I came from the powerlifting arena, and am used to extensive, heavy volumes. Plus, being retired Infantry assigned to the Special Forces, I am SOOOO used to loading my body. I still carry a 100LB rucksack on powerwalks, and will be 50 years old this spring.

I'll let you know at the end of this cycle how those 3 to 4 sets worked out!

Happy lifting!

Back