Green tea extract for fat loss

GJM

Hi
What do you think about using green tea extract for fat loss?
Is the positive effect it has on fat loss worth the anti-androgenic effects? Are the anti-androgenic effects even worth worrying about if you are only using it for a couple of months?

Thanks for any replies.

what what what never heard that before ,don't say that i have a pot everyday
butbut.gif

I sometimes have some guarana and i find that heats me up something fiece even more then a pot green tea.
Do you have any links where they saying its anti-androgenic?

Hi Fire
Bryan talks about this in the Faq. This is what it says.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Green tea has compounds that block COMT. I stopped using as much green tea when I found that they were anti-androgenic. They not only block androgen at the receptor, thay also apear to downregulate androgen receptors.
Green tea is basically an anti-endocrine factor. It seems to reduce the effects of all steroid hormones. I don't mean to freak anybody out, it's just that the flavones (especially epigallocatechin gallate) are well known to reduce the actions of endogenous androgens (and estrogens) as well as even lowering testosterone levels themselves.

Anyway, my point is that, you may never see any significant effect of drinking green tea on muscle gains. Then again, we know that it is having an antagonistic effect, however small, in a direction oposite to what we want with respect to testosterone.

Cultures that consume a lot of green tea of also known to have fewer androgenic "manifestations" both normal (body hair, muscle mass, etc) as well as fewer pathologic manifestations (prostate problems, and other cancers associated with steroid hormones).

Fat is a different story. It clearly helps fat loss by altering catecholamine metabolism and probably a few other things.

hi,
i used to drink lot of green tea, very strong , and more than 1 liter per day. i ve not notice any influence on my muscle or on my strength. So, i don't think anti anabolic effects are significant. of course, i don't know effect on my testo level.testo is one thing, aromatase is another thing...i don't know effect of green tea on aromatase process.
For fat loss, it's very very very effective...more than all thoses expensive supplements (fat burner etc...).
moreover , green tea has lot of good effects on health.
we are all differents so...

I've been drinking about 4 cups of green tea a day for the past 4 or 5 years. I haven't noticed any anti-androgenic effects yet.

I used to be a heavy green tea drinker, 6 cups a day and I would let the tea steep for hours. I stopped about 2 months ago and I hate to say it but I have noticed the effect it must have been having on my muscle and testosterone levels.

About a month and a half after I stoped drinking it a good friend told me one day "Wow, you are really getting muscular" and in looking in the mirror and weight wise there certainly has been a change and it doesn't seem to be from any fat increase. Plus my sex drive seems to have increased quite a bit.

Of course this could be related to other factors, but I have not changed any supplements, my cardio program, my lifting program, or my eating.

HTH
JWJ

Ok have biffed out the green tea - might check out white tea as a alternative
tounge.gif

Remeber any proper tea is produced from the same plant. They all contain the same compounds, just some are higher in concentration than others.

Back