H S T And Active Recovery Days

mickc1965

Currently doing HST and have recently decided to embark on full body training 6 days per week and the exercise set up was as follows

AM - OH Press / Pendlays / Shrugs / Dips / Chins
PM - Squats / Calf Raise / Deadlifts

Due to the frequency of training I was only doing one set per exercise per day with progression as follows

Week 1 - Mon @ 75% RM / Tue @ 80% of RM / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of RM / Fri & Sat @ 90%
Week 2 - Mon & Tue @ 95% of RM / Wed & Thurs @ 100% of RM / Fri & Sat attempt new RM

Half way through the 10s decided due to being knackered to incorporate Active Recovery Days where the initial intention for the 90% and above days I would drop the load back to 75% of each rep range for the following day for the same number of reps, however I am now thinking maybe just drop the load to say 50% of projected 1rm and push out 1 set of 15 reps instead.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reps not specified. For example, Mon is 75% of RM. Is RM for one rep or for some other intended number of reps, say 10? Or are you just intending to take your one rep max X a % to failure regardless of the number of reps achieved?

What happens in week three, etc. Any SD involved?

O&G, sorry should have explained better, standard two weeks blocks as follows

Week 1 - 15 rep block - Mon @ 75% 15rm / Tue @ 80% of 15rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 15rm / Fri & Sat @ 90% of 15rm
Week 2 - 15 rep block - Mon & Tue @ 95% of 15rm / Wed & Thurs @ 100% of 15rm / Fri & Sat attempt new 15rm
Week 3 - 10 rep block - Mon @ 75% 10rm / Tue @ 80% of 10rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 10rm / Fri & Sat @ 90% of 10rm
Week 4 - 10 rep block - Mon & Tue @ 95% of 10rm / Wed & Thurs @ 100% of 10rm / Fri & Sat attempt new 10rm
Week 5 - 5 rep block - Mon @ 75% 5rm / Tue @ 80% of 5rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 5rm / Fri & Sat @ 90% of 5rm
Week 6 - 5 rep block - Mon & Tue @ 95% of 5rm / Wed & Thurs @ 100% of 5rm / Fri & Sat attempt new 5rm
Week 7+ - will be retesting each rep range max - Mon 5 reps / Wed 10 reps / Fri 15 reps

Last edited:
wth new set up something like this

Week 1 - 15 rep block - Mon @ 75% 15rm / Tue @ 80% of 15rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 15rm / Fri @ 90% of 15rm / Sat Active Recovery
Week 2 - 15 rep block - Mon @ 95% of 15rm / Tue Active Recovery / Wed @ 100% of 15rm / Thu Active Recovery / Fri & Sat attempt new 15rm
Week 3 - 10 rep block - Mon @ 75% 10rm / Tue @ 80% of 10rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 10rm / Fri @ 90% of 10rm / Sat Active Recovery
Week 4 - 10 rep block - Mon @ 95% of 10rm / Tue Active Recovery / Wed @ 100% of 10rm / Thu Active Recovery / Fri & Sat attempt new 10rm
Week 5 - 5 rep block - Mon @ 75% 5rm / Tue @ 80% of 5rm / Wed & Thurs @ 85% of 5rm / Fri @ 90% of 5rm / Sat Active Recovery
Week 6 - 5 rep block - Mon @ 95% of 5rm / Tue Active Recovery / Wed @ 100% of 5rm / Thu Active Recovery / Fri & Sat attempt new 5rm
Week 7+ - will be retesting each rep range max - Mon 5 reps / Wed 10 reps / Fri 15 reps with Tue, Thu and Sat as Active Recovery Days

My only concern is that it may be a bit too intense in your 2nd week blocks. You will working close to or at failure for a whole week. IMO that is too intense for a 6 day, twice per day routine. I would consider doubling up the days at the same %, i.e, M and T at 75%, W and TH at 80%, etc. Maybe add an extra rep in the first weeks of each rep range on the second day of each planned rep i.e, Wk 1: Day one 15 reps, Day two 16 reps, Day three 15 reps, Day four 16 reps, etc. if you want to increase intensity a bit. Always remember, recovery is more important than the rare possibility of over-training. Too much intensity does not allow for adequate recovery. However, that is an individual thing influenced by many factors, including, hormone levels, that only you can determine. Otherwise looks pretty good to me. Tell us how it works out for you. I have tried it but 12 w/o's per week was just too much for this old fart. :(

Thanks O&G, that is why I was thinking of adding the Active Recovery Days (I added post #4 while you were writing I think) in the 2nd week of each rep block (and the reason for possibly lowering the load on these days down to 15 reps @ ~50% of 1rm) to hopefully allow recovery while still training, I will see how it goes next week (2nd week of 5s) if it proves too much then I may just do upper body on M / W / F then lower body on T / Th / S.

IMHO, in the long run you will be better off with upper body on M / W / F then lower body on T / Th / S or a push/pull. AS O&G says, recovery is more important

IMHO, in the long run you will be better off with upper body on M / W / F then lower body on T / Th / S or a push/pull. AS O&G says, recovery is more important

I have done both before just wanted to do all exercises daily that is why it is only one set per exercise for each rep block, I actually enjoy squatting daily but I just need to ensure that I do not tax the CNS too much hence trying to build in active recovery days - also great for weight loss!!!!

When you're working out twice a day, six days a week, you don't have to factor in 'active recovery'. Frankly, you don't have the opportunity to actively recover.

If I was you, I'd add in 20mins on the stationary bike 2-3x a week.

And lastly; properly regulated daily squatting will not tax your CNS. Two words; stretch reflex.

Back