H S T - How Have You Adapted It To Suit You

mickc1965

Further to a thread recently started by @HST_Rihad I was interested in how people may have altered the original HST programme to suit them and maybe posting their routines may help others that are currently (or in the future) struggling with their own routines etc

Currently mine is a 3 day on 1 day off full body training as follows

Routine A
AM - Barbell Flat Bench / Standing Calf Raise / Landmine Single Arm Linear Jammer
PM - Barbell Hack Squat / Deadlift

Routine B
AM - Military Press / Neutral Grip Chins / Dips
PM - Rear Squats / Standing Calf Raise

Routine C
AM - Barbell Incline Bench / Landmine Rows / Landmine Single Arm Linear Jammer
PM - Front Squats / Standing Calf Raise

15s workout 1 – 55% of 1rm – 28 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps) - squat movements 37 reps
15s workout 2 – 60% of 1rm – 25 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps) - squat movements 33 reps
15s workout 3 – 62.5% of 1rm – 24 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps) - squat movements 31 reps
15s workout 4 – 65% of 1rm – 22 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps) - squat movements 39 reps

AMRAP workout 5 – 67.5% of 1rm – 20 reps (1st set 'as many reps as possible' up to 15 reps) - squat movements 27 reps

10s workout 6 – 70% of 1rm – 19 reps (1st set 10 reps then myo reps) - squat movements 25 reps
10s workout 7 – 72.5% of 1rm – 17 reps (1st set 10 reps then clusters) - squat movements 23 reps
10s workout 8 – 75% of 1rm – 16 reps (1st set 10 reps then clusters) - squat movements 21 reps

AMRAP workout 9 – 77.5% of 1rm – 14 reps (1st set 'as many reps as possible' up to 10 reps) - squat movements 19 reps (AMRAP again)

5s workout 10 – 80% of 1rm – 13 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters) - squat movements 17 reps
5s workout 11 – 82.5% of 1rm – 11 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters) - squat movements 15 reps
5s workout 12 – 85% of 1rm – 9 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters) - squat movements 12 reps

Post 5 – 87.5% of 1rm and above – 6 to 8 reps (AMRAP / clusters) - squat movements 10 reps

Deadlifts are trained completely differently

Last edited:
I'll post my routine below. It is done 3 times a week in two week blocks, varying the rep ranges from 2x15 - 2x10 - 3x5

Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Overhead press
Weighted Pull Ups
Weighted Dips
CGBench
Seated Cable Row
Bro Curl
Dumbell Lateral Raise
Leg raises and planks for them abs

Cardio on off-days as 1-1,5 hours on the bicycle.

Currently on week 6 of the program. Not quite sure yet how to approach week 7. Probably just keep progressing in weight/reps and then have a deload week and start from the 15's again.

I'm giving a DUP program a shot since I am trying to hit some specific 1rm. However in my previous cycles I found that I liked shortening the 15s to 1 week and extending the 5s as long as possible.

Also I would typically work from 70% of a reps max and then add 5lbs which isn't the same as going from 70% to 100% within a two week block. I doubt that it was more beneficial but I did it to reduce fatigue in the higher reps so that I could push harder in the 5s.

Finally I ran an extremely simple full body workout where I did squat, bench and deadlift each workout with some small (and kind of irregular) accessory lifts.

I have not altered the principles at all but merely come up with routines incorporating the HST principles. The biggest changes I have made from the original sample routines is introducing increased frequency (4 -6 times per week), daily undulating periodization, and myo reps to increase workout volume without wasting a lot of time. I also now only use 12 and 8 reps as my base because of soft tissue damage that is aggravated by very heavy weights and alternate between 4 routines that basically cover the legs, back, chest, shoulders, bis and tris with one exercise. I split each day into an AM/PM workout to control fatigue. I also incorporate metabolic sets using sets of 15 to 50 continuous reps on body weight exercises such as push ups and neutral chin ups. These are not added to other exercises working those body parts but, instead, replace them on certain days in my routines.

Back