Hamstrings

<div>
(da1andonlychacha @ Dec. 21 2005,22:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would have to question whether rounding shoulders matters that much or not. After all, powerlifters do it using much more weight than you probably are. Dave Tate, I believe, has an article touching on it on EliteFTS. I round my shoulders on purpose on all my deads.

But, in keeping with the discussion, I like good mornings. Try them sometime, and you'll see why they're called that.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
if you keep your shoulders back and look straight ahead your back will stay straight..if you round your shoulders you are likely to round your back not good if you want to carry on lifting for a long time..IMO
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Mar. 10 2006,11:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(da1andonlychacha @ Dec. 21 2005,22:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would have to question whether rounding shoulders matters that much or not. After all, powerlifters do it using much more weight than you probably are. Dave Tate, I believe, has an article touching on it on EliteFTS. I round my shoulders on purpose on all my deads.

But, in keeping with the discussion, I like good mornings. Try them sometime, and you'll see why they're called that.
biggrin.gif
</div>
if you keep your shoulders back and look straight ahead your back will stay straight..if you round your shoulders you are likely to round your back not good if you want to carry on lifting for a long time..IMO
biggrin.gif
</div>
It does depend somewhat on the lifter, however.

I know a lot of people (myself included) who lose upper back tightness before lower back tightness in deads.

interesting thread
i especially like the 2 1/2yr break in the middle.
i do a number of exer for ham. but sldl is the most common. i do however &quot;feel&quot; other exer more when im actually doing them but feel the effects of sldl the next day &quot;more&quot;. . . . .if that makes sense.

as far as technique goes the best piece of advice ive heard concerning sldl is when your in position and ready to go just concentrate on sticking your butt out while keeping the rest of your position &quot;tight&quot; and youll fall right into the groove. works great for me.

What I like to do with SLDLs is like bluejacket said, &quot;just concentrate on sticking your butt out&quot;.  What I found that worked best for me was concentrating on sticking my butt out like I was reaching to sit in a chair with a little extra knee bend then pushing my ass up with my legs to acheive a better stretch.  I have found that doing it this way I dont need to bend over nearly as far to get the same effect.  Also when I do this it seems like keeping my back straight is second nature and feels like less of a back move and more of a leg move, which is as it should be.

Oh goody a hamstring thread. Maybe someone can help me with my hammy issue. If this is a hijack, my apologies I'm new to this forum and didn't want to start a new thread since one already existed. If this is a faux pas - correct and forgive me.

At heart, I'm a small weak powerlifter. In reality, I'm training like a bodybuilder because of an injury. I decided to give HST a shot for my recovery workouts - compared to how I usually workout it is super light, super high volume. I'd rather do one rep max type workouts and keep the volume for accessory work. (to me volume is 6 reps).

I have a SI joint injury because of a muscle imbalance between glutes/hams and the quads - the quads overpower them causing my balance so shift injuring my SI joint. The PT and doc told me to look for something lighter and with more volume while I heal.

So far HST has been the key to success - I'm one month pain free after doing my own multiple light set after set of 10-15 reppers then finding HST 3 weeks ago.

In those 3 weeks, I've made unprecedented size gains I would have though impossible for my body. I like it.

Now to the problem. I try to work my hams the most. I'd like to do GHR, but it doesn't fit into my routine with HST because I can only do it bodyweight - machine assist isn't available. So for hammys I'm doing wide power squats to hit the glutes/hams more than quads - instead of quad specific oly squats. I'm also doing conventional deadlift.

I'm not willing to give up CDL in favor of SLDL.

How would it work if I did this:

Full body HST workout with this modification:
Legs - wide squat, Good morning (done the HST way), CDL to hit the whole leg and the back, then at the end of the entire workout throw in a few sets of bodyweight GHR to work the hammys a little better?

I got the idea because I was unwilling to give up chins for the program but don't use enough weight with them to do them the HST way. After my rows are done I just do 3x10 chins. On the weeks fo 10's I do 4x10. Next week I'll be doing 3x15. On the weeks of &quot;2's&quot; I'll be doing 5x10. So far so good - I've done chins from the beginning when I could only do 1/2 of one rep. Now I either do them weighted or work on sets of 50...they just aren't weighted enough to fit the HST plan yet.

Anyway, how would what i've described work for my glutes/hams? Good idea, bad idea? Add SLDL instead?(remember, I'm keeping the CDL)

Wow, thread that I started a long time ago...
I found a hammy exercise that I really like - 1-leg SLDL. Hold a dummbbell in one hand and SLDL with the same leg, holding a bench for support with the other hand. I alternated these with Romanians every other workout.

Yeah, Blade had said that too. I have a crushed #4 lumbar disc (which is totally scrood right now) and was told not to do the SLDL's by my chiro. I'm asking tomorrow if I can do the single leg version when he gets me straightened out. I wonder if there's any other single leg type stuff that would do hams.

Interesting I saw a girl at the gym doing a hamstring exercise on a hack machine. It wasn't single leg but she was faced against the pad holding the bottom and almost doing a deadlift type motion.

I talked to the chiro about doing the single legged SLDL's, and he wanted to know exactly how they're done and what do you do with the other leg. I didn't know.

Back