Have I missed anything?

Joe.Muscle

Like anyone else I like to always post my next cycle just for critique. So let me know if I should change anything.

Monday Wed Friday routine:

10 degree dumbell press 4 sets
Rows 4 sets
standing shoulder press with barbell 2 sets (doing these standing b/c I hear the hit the core better)
lateral side raise with dumbell 1 set
Squats 3 sets
abs 4 sets

Also I do Dips and chins on Wed. in replace of bench and rows.

Thats it, should I throw in anything else like shrugs, arms,???

I am thinking the compounds should be enough?

Anything to add..I am wanting to put on some good muscle this cycle.!!!

Thanks and happy holidays!

Joe :D

Hey Joe :)

Wouldn't want to change your routine so much (to the point that it looks like mine! :)), but you got it good. Few exercises, just the way I like it. All I want to add is, when the weights get heavier, add in some arm isos for metabollic work. You can even start right now (or wait until the 15's are over, preferrably), just do a burn set of curls and skullcrushers/triceps extensions at the end of your routine.

I'm also not sure about alternating rows and chins. Not because I think it's a bad idea, but mainly because I don't really alternate. I just do the same routine over and over. The closest thing I have to alternating is alternating deadlifts with no deadlifts! :D :D

Anyway, good luck! :)

Don't worry, if I know Fausto, he'll be here shortly to check on your routine and give his expert advice. :)

Regards,
-JV

i agree alternating the weights,it slows adaptation,rbes etc your body knows exactly whats coming if you stick to the same routine although it does have some advantages when incrementing i change my excersises every week rather than every day,i find it handy to hit the muscle the same way but with i a different excersise.i will say that we are all different so what works for me might not work for you good luck.

Thanks guys! It always fun just to run things by everyone.

Jv I agree on the burn sets definatly!

I have put on about 6 pounds since my last cycle, not necessarily all good weight b/c I cut the majority of the summer and got down to around 175 from 190.

Right now I am say about 182, but i would say a 1/3 of that is good weight the other...well, my wife keeps buying the twinkies..hehe. :D

Joe
laugh.gif

Alt. squats and deads I think....just my preference :)

Instead of burn sets (i.e. 15 reps) of curls/skulls, I've recently started doing a set of 6-8RM, then picking up the next DB, then next etc...until I hit 30 reps. Doing this with DBs for standing curls and skulls. I'm doing this on M & F after my 5x5 program (I s'pose it's bi & tri accessory).

14 sets is just fine.. maybe when the weights get heavier, split the sets..

10 degree dumbell press 2 sets
Rows 2 sets
standing shoulder press with barbell 2 sets
lateral side raise with dumbell 1 set
10 degree dumbell press 2 sets
Rows 2 sets
Squats 3 sets
abs 4 sets

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lcars @ Nov. 26 2005,7:46)]i agree alternating the weights,it slows adaptation,rbes etc your body knows exactly whats coming if you stick to the same routine
Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Using different exercises to hit the muscles don't delay RBE. I think what you are referring to is the "confusion principle" where you "confuse" the muscle with different exercises in order to shock it to growth. That's a myth. It doesn't work like that. Whether you use the same exercise or not, what matters is the mechanical strain. The muscles have no way to "know what's coming". The only thing that registers is the strain produced by the training. With enough of that, hypertrophy happens (all other things being fulfilled of course, like nutrition). As long as you increase the mechanical strain (greater load, more volume, perhaps even faster concentric but that's probably not feasible in most cases), then you are ok. Simply chanigng the exercise will not work at all if mechanical strain remains the same. You might as well stick to one very effective exercise for a muscle group and stick with that so as not to bother neural learning.

Jv is right !

I actually completely stumbled upon this years ago...by accident. I mean this literally know research or anything just my theory at the time and well it worked wonders and now years later I read the science behind that and I understand how I got lucky and it worked.

What I am getting at is about 5 years ago, I noticed that when I trained with a lot of exercises and sets the first couple of sets of all exercises I would end up not using enough weight, partially b/c I never kept up with my numbers in writing but also b/c its human nature to start off a little lighter on your first set or two. Well I started thinking about this concept were If i was doing this on every 1st and 2nd set of 2 or 3 exercises, that means I am waisting time and extra sets by not using enough load. Well I have never been the guy who loves to log everything I lift in the weight room, so what I did was simple yet effective, and again my chance and luck I got it right only now today it makes since why it worked.

But anyway what I did what pick 2 compound lifts per bodypart and just concentrate on the poundage being lifted.

I did this on every muscle and it worked fantastic, well looking back now I know why...duh!

Anyway sorry to be long winded on this but its just interesting to me b/c I have tried so many programs in 11 years of training and the ones that I look back at that worked best had hints of HST principals.

One last note....it makes me sick to think how much bigger I could be if I would of used hst instead of all of those college days of overtraining and 20 sets per muscle group workouts.

my 3 cents!!! :D

i stand corrected on the rbe issue but using different excersises recruits a different number of muscle fibres if applied correctly so in that case it does affect hypertrophy.

Back