"heat Therapy" After Workout..?

wungun

Something I've been doing the last couple of months, initially as an aid to metabolism and fat burning, is to have a long, HOT soak in the tub after working out.
But thinking about it more...
You know when you're exposed to cold, your capillaries close and blood flow is restricted from going to the surface of your body/extremities...? The opposite is also true... When your over heating, your body tried cooling off by sweating and opening blood flow to the extremities.

So my theory is...
After workout, CBL and protein intake, I'll have my bath to help blood flow and shuttle nutrients around my body, relax overworked muscles and soothe sore joints.
Dunno of it'll actually accomplish this or not.... But if feels great!

I think the ice-bath post-w/o treatment is falling out of favour (are there any recent studies on this?), esp. if there are no actual inflamed injuries (best to treat these independently in any case).
I like the idea of a post w/o, soothing hot bath far more. Keep stuffing in the fish oil and other good omega-3 sources to help manage inflammation instead.

Inflamation is necessary to repair tissue. Ice is good. Heat is good. Wich better??

Even with health professionals the debate rages on. A few years agora ice was the better... Now not so much. It has to do with the vasoconstriction caused by it, reduces blood flow and inflamation, wich are both necessary to recover small Injuries.
About heat, its all good if you feel good. Too me it makes me feel sleepy and relaxed, and the effect takes its toll on the next day and i am training everyday so no heat for me ;)

Recent studies have supported the idea that the old adage about catching a cold from the cold can actually be true. Seems like doing that after already taxing your body (and immune system) with a workout could be a bad combination.

Conventional wisdom favors icing after a hard workout to reduce inflammation and begin the recovery process. Many athletes, including pros, swear by the idea. But the science behind cryotherapy might be a little shaky, and some experts recommend warmth as a more natural way to begin healing overworked muscles.

Back