Help me with a strength routine

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by RotatorCuff, Apr 6, 2004.

1. RotatorCuff

RotatorCuff New Member

I don't want to do a powerlifting routine because I don't like the exercise selection. And I don't want to do HIT because the 20rep squat plan and other things are not best for hypertrophy. If I decide to use this routine it's going to be because I want to gain strength and mass is irrelevant.

Here's the exercises I will do:

Bodybuilding style Front Squat(as shown at EXRX.net)
    EXRX style SLDL(without a straight back and with straight knees)
    Rack Pull into Barbell Shrugs
    Decline Dumbell Press
    Head Down Dips
    Dumbell Shoulder Raise
    Decline Sit Ups
    Medicine Ball Crunches
    45 degree sidebends
    Underhanded Chinups
    One Arm Dumbell Rows
    Subscapularis Cable Exercise as shown at EXRX.net
    Gleduis Medus, Minimus Cable Exercise again as shown at EXRX.net
    Standing Calf Raises
    Standing Reverse Calf Raises
    Seated Calf Raises
    Incline Dumbell Curls
    Decline Skull Crushers

I'll divide these exercises over a five day split. I'll start with my 8RM and do each of these exercises to failure for one set. Then I'll add five pounds for barbell exercises and 2 1/2 pounds using plate mates to dumbell exercises. Then this next week I'll do reps until failure. Then I'll keep adding weight until I get to my one rep max or two rep max. Then I'll do five negatives with that weight. Once I've reached either the 1RM of Front Squat or SLDL I'll do one week of negatives. Then I'll take a week off and start over with a higher starting weight.

There's some overlap, so maybe I should alternate some of the exercises weekly? I want to get stronger on all the exercises of the list. Should I allow for more recovery time? For example, a five day split over two weeks. Any other suggestions?

2. restless

restless New Member

So it's strength or hypertrophy?

3. OneMoreRep

OneMoreRep New Member

that's a WHOLE lot of crap you don't need. i see lots of icing but no cake. if u want strength, i'd drop all that isolation garbage. and focus on compounds.

so you don't like powerlifting movements.... well that's a shame, because if you don't atleast deadlift i fear your strength will always lack. dips are great. also.

the more weight an exercise allows you to use the more useful it will be for strength gains. in general isolations have little if any strength carry over.

4. BrianG

BrianG New Member

Basically, any compound exercise is best for strength training mainly because you will tend to cheat a lot with single-joint exercises using heavy weights (which are needed for strength training), especially using dumb bells.

Pick a few compound exercises (e.g., your bodybuilding front-squats are enough to start off with for you lower body) and do 5x5's with them. Do that starting 2x a week and modify as appropriate.