Help with the progression

So wait... you just admitted that you aren't eating enough because you want to prevent fat gain, and you are surprised that you aren't putting on muscle? Is that accurate?

Doesn't matter what you do with training, if you aren't eating enough then you won't make any progress. **** or get off the pot, as Kelly Baggett says in this article: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/****OrGetOffThePot2.html

If you aren't going to eat enough then you might as well quit training because you are wasting your time.

I do eat a lot, otherwise I feel hungry every 2-3 hours, more so on workout days. If I didn't eat enough, I would be hungry all the time. This isn't the case. I just try to control my carb intake...

And about lack of 2-3RM concentric work :) Seriously, summing up to required amount of work of 30 reps using 3RM's would put CNS under enormous stress and would jeopardize frequent enough training. This isn't the same thing as grabbing a 2-3RM weight, doing 1-2 concentric + 3-4 eccentric weights w/ the help of a spotter.

Not sure for this particular quote, but it is the 2007 study being quoted by Bryan for the past several years. He trusts its validity. You can grab the PDF here.

1. Stop quoting things that you aren't familiar with then. Information needs context to be useful, or a reference. Bryan can trust what he likes. That isn't really relevant to discussing whether lighter loads build the same muscle mass as heavier loads.

Lol, by sub-maximal I meant load below your failure point at a given rep count, i.e. we work with sub-maximal weights in 15, 10 and 5's most of the time. Otherwise Bryan wouldn't have used the term sub-maximal, as all bodybuilding methods are sub-maximal the way you described.

Interesting reading, guys.

2. Please please please stop referring to everything Borge and Bryan have ever written, and stop treating it as gospel. Finding something Bryan said on here, quoting it and applying it out of context doesn't provide a factual trump-card in a discussion.

I do eat a lot, otherwise I feel hungry every 2-3 hours, more so on workout days. If I didn't eat enough, I would be hungry all the time. This isn't the case. I just try to control my carb intake...

3. If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough. Personally, I think you would be better off doing a cutting-cycle, getting down to 12% or so, seeing that cutting works and THEN doing a bulk. I'm not sure you're in the right mental frame to do a bulk, put on the weight, get your waistband up to 36, 38 inches etc. Being so terrified of fat gain is going to be an impediment to you ever putting on any substantial size.

If you really believe that, you are deluding yourself. Relying on hunger is one of the worst ways to put on muscle mass.

Back