Hi everyone - 2nd Cycle

jcny19x

Hi everybody, since I have been introduced to these boards I have done a lot of reading on all the principles involved, and I am really glad I invested my time into this website.  I now *sort of* have a better clue as to what I am doing in the gym.  HOWEVER, I still am kinda skeptical about full body workouts/ compared to specialization - doing one body part in one day - I need help on the benefits and harms of both ways of training.  
Well, I have completed my first cycle , (I found out my 10s and 5s RM on a calculator) and I feel as though I am really growing! People around me are remarking on my growth and it's very satisfying.  Now, although I understand I need to go into SD, I was wondering if I could maybe do a cycle of 12, 10, 6 or something like that.  I am saying this because my muscles really responded to 10s and 5s and during the 15s I wasnt feeling the same way.  Also, do I have to go into the gym and find my maxes out again and then start all over...?
One last thing, I feel like my chest is lagging - my back is growing fine though.  What should I do? Add another exercise? Change my exercises?I want to incorporate dips, but the gym does not have a belt that I can put weight onto.

Edit* also, if u look at my workout you will see that I added tricep extensions - with all the tricep work from chest/should do I even need this? Would I be overtraining them? What exercise would you use to subistitute tricep extensions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jcny19x @ Feb. 27 2005,3:29)]HOWEVER, I still am kinda skeptical about full body workouts/ compared to specialization - doing one body part in one day - I need help on the benefits and harms of both ways of training.  
A muscle doesn't need to recover before being load again, so there is no need to hit one body part only once per week.

Pro's of Full Body 3X Week.

Anabolism occurs within certain windows from the time the muscle is loaded. This corresponds to roughly 36 to 48 hrs. for protein synthesis and around 96 hrs for IGF. So keeping protein synthesis high provides for more anabolism.

Cons of Full Body 3X week.

Fatique, if volume is too highly elevated fatique (central and peripheral) can cut into strength and further lead into over reaching. This limits strength and affects the load you can use making each workout less effective. So manage fatique by only using the volume you need.

Cons of once a week body part training.

Opposite of Pro's of Full Body 3X week above.(protein synthesis)

Will you still grow, sure. But it comes down to efficiency of training, which provides the best opprotunity for the tissue to respond.

That's interesting , so what would be the difference between a split that HST proposes, such as I do - which is 2 sets for each body part per day (3 days a week) and 2 different exercises only - for a total of 6 sets/week, and a split that does 1 body part once a week for 6 sets during that day - using 3 different exercises. Maybe I just don't understand why more people advocate specialization than full body workouts. But now I understand where you are coming from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I want to incorporate dips, but the gym does not have a belt that I can put weight onto.

jcny19x,
I bought a length of chain and heavy duty clip from the local hardware store. I loop the chain around my weight lifting belt and through some plates for the weighted dips. Works great.

mdz

mdz0739: Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it..
Does anyone have any comments on a split that is like: 12, 10, 8 (or 6) instead of 15, 10, 5?

Back