High reps for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

gbglifter

As some are aware Ive been cutting since christmas. Ive lost 12kg and am starting to see some definition. Ive recently starting trying out blood flow restriction (BFR) sets for legextensions and seated curls. I do roughly 15-25 reps on the first set, wait 30 seconds and do as many as I can, wait etc until I Im dying of lactic acid. Usualy 5 or 6 sets. Ive been doing the same method with bicurls and tripushes, both with cable, but without the bands to restrict.

I am starting to see much more definition in those areas. Especially my biceps. Im doing all the usual compounds first and foremost but finishing my workout with one of these.
Im not sure if the BFR is actually helping more but I plan to keep doing these for the foreseeable future.

Its basically myo style reps IMO. I like it!

gbg, what are you using to restrict the blood supply? Rubber tubing? I have not tried it but something just does not make sense to me. I would think that long term use of BFR could lead to muscle cell destruction through Ox deprivation under load. I will be interested in your results.

I too am interested in your methods here. I'm going to re-read the BFR article... I thought I read that you didn't actually have to use any implement to restrict blood flow, but could achieve the BFR effect with high reps of certain isolation exercises.

I use...wait for it...a cut up set of braces. Elastic braces for keeping your pants up! Its elastic and about two inches wide.
Im only actually restricting twice per week. The extensions at the end of one leg workout and curls at the end of my B workout.
I tried with biceps and got an almighty pump but I lost grip strength after a few minutes and it was just too much.
Im just trying to reciprocate the same technique for arms.
All limbs are noticably more swollen and defined, imo.

If and when you stop the BFR, you'll lose the results v.quickly, they're extremely transient and depend on the ongoing training.

I spoke to Bryan about my arms some time ago and how they were the frustrating / lagging body part for me. He suggested that I do ultra high reps (20 - 25 rep range of 2 - 3 sets) twice a day for tricep and biceps for one week. With biceps, he suggested using barbell curls (I use the ez-bar due to wrists) and then during the rest between sets that I try holding my arms straight for 30 - 60 seconds. He feels that the high reps cause a lot of trauma to the muscles and activates the satellite cells and holding the arms straight is similar to occlusion, but without the wraps. Bryan suggested only doing this for a week, straight after the 9 day break. After that, he said that I needed to get back to the regular HST training principals and progress with increasing the loads. I am not to scientifically minded, so I may not understand the various causes and effects concerning this technique, but I gave it a go and it worked.

Word of caution though... My muscles BURN with pain when I near the end of the sets. I feel it right to the very core of the muscle. I could not do this longer than a week...

I have done this a few times now and feel it has worked for me. I believe in my case, this crazy technique primes my arms up for growth and I have seen results. My arms were an extremely stubborn body part and I have seen it kick in to growth again. Last cycle, I believe my arm measurement shot up a 1/4" in size. I have not lost that 1/4" either and I am coming straight off an 11 day break.

Some things are just worth giving a go to see if it works...

Renky, I received your email but my computer crashed before I could reply and the Internet Gods ate it.

Metabolic work should be part of all hypertrophy-minded advanced lifters' programs, just not exclusively. SD is not intended to lose muscle but to decondition them. I do not see any loss of size before at least a 3 week break (usually due to an injury or sickness). The first to go will always be the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. However, it is very easy and quick to get it back. Myofibrilar hypertrophy will stay with you for a much longer period of inactivity and should be the base of anyone's campaign to get bigger. These are all incorporated into HST.

O&G - Agreed...

I think when I spoke with Bryan, he offered a few suggestions to kick start some growth and for me it worked a treat. This kick start can only be done every so often and should not be totally relied on. I follow the HST principals (always will) and you have to keep progressing with your loads.

Thanks,

Back