HIGH VOLUME

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Aug. 01 2007,18:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 01 2007,02:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I consider the volume high when I must take more than 60 minutes to complete one workout. A normal volume for me is between 30 and 60 minutes per workout. Anything less and I feel like I didn't lift enough weight. Anything more and I know I spent energy I didn't have.</div>
And how many reps for each muscle you put on your 60 minutes workout?</div>
I do squat, deadlift, overhead press and bent rows. I alternate between squat and deadlift. For example, I could do between 15 and 25 reps for 15's. Workout duration depends heavily on load and rest requirement for that load. Because of that, I organize sets/reps to fit within 30-60 minutes. Today, my workout took 30 minutes. I do a maximum of 60 minutes per workout to prevent spending all glycogen in turn to prevent entering a catabolic state due to lack of same energy.

Should I disregard the risk of spending all my glycogen and entering a catabolic state? Should I only consider how many reps I do?

each workout 3 sets,
2 exercises each for
back,chest,legs,
1 exercise each for
bis,tris,shoulders,
any more than that i would call high volume

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 01 2007,21:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Should I disregard the risk of spending all my glycogen and entering a catabolic state? Should I only consider how many reps I do?</div>
Yes, disregard it. You can lift weights for a long time without going catabolic, if glycogen is a concern, sip on some carb-drink, like fruit juice, or even some protein shake.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Aug. 02 2007,18:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 01 2007,21:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Should I disregard the risk of spending all my glycogen and entering a catabolic state? Should I only consider how many reps I do?</div>
Yes, disregard it. You can lift weights for a long time without going catabolic, if glycogen is a concern, sip on some carb-drink, like fruit juice, or even some protein shake.</div>
It's not my only concern. Define &quot;long time&quot;. What about fatigue, should I disregard that too?

It's a bit hard to define.

I don't think reps by itself is sufficient to judge high volume. I consider 3 * 5 to be higher volume than 1 * 15.

It also depends on excercise selection.

Personally I don't think with HST I benefit from more than 2 sets per excercise.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Aug. 02 2007,14:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So faz that has you doing 60 reps for chest back and legs during 10's per workout correct?</div>
thats correct
back
3x10 chins
3x10 b-o-r
chest
3x10 incline-bench
3x10 dipd
legs
3x10 squat alternated with deadlifts
3x10 calve-raises
shoulders
3x10 milltary-press
bis
3x10 curls
tris
3x10 tri-pushdowns
thats 27 sets this takes 45mins

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 03 2007,00:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Aug. 02 2007,18:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Yes, disregard it.  You can lift weights for a long time without going catabolic, if glycogen is a concern, sip on some carb-drink, like fruit juice, or even some protein shake.</div>
It's not my only concern. Define &quot;long time&quot;. What about fatigue, should I disregard that too?</div>
no, fatigue is a problem. If you find yourself losing steam after a hour, then stop. An hour is my limit also, if I am lifting very heavy, then even sooner (40 minutes)I feel CNS fatigue kick in.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Aug. 03 2007,12:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 03 2007,00:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Yes, disregard it. You can lift weights for a long time without going catabolic, if glycogen is a concern, sip on some carb-drink, like fruit juice, or even some protein shake.</div>
It's not my only concern. Define &quot;long time&quot;. What about fatigue, should I disregard that too?</div>
no, fatigue is a problem. If you find yourself losing steam after a hour, then stop. An hour is my limit also, if I am lifting very heavy, then even sooner (40 minutes)I feel CNS fatigue kick in.</div>
I think I was confusing lack of energy and fatigue. I'll consider what you wrote then.

when i started lifting in my 20's my workouts would last 2 hours,full on to failure.

didnt do me much good for all the effort i put in.but i could cope at that age, id proberbly burn out now
sad.gif

I've been training HST almost 3 years and volume has never been much consideration for me, except for leg work and the 5s.

I only do 2 sets of 10-12 exercises per workout.  If the exercise is for a large muscle group I usually do a warmup set and only one work set.   In the 5s I always do 3 sets, because I don't trust I've micro-trauma my muscles enough as needed.

I don't think of volume for the most part doing HST.  I push myself very hard to lift heavier all the time.  If I were doing other types of training I would be very concerned about volume, especially strength training.  Honestly,  one of the things that attracted me to HST was the careful articulation of training principles.  Principles that promote micro-trauma, but not redundant micro-trauma.

I do serious volume on my legs.  I walk around on them all day and let's face it... it takes a bunch of heavy work on those muscle groups to micro-trauma effectively.  

I move from exercise to exercise (one min recovery between sets &amp; 3 min max time between exercises).
I'm done in less than an hour each workout.

I guess you could say I'm half and half.  Upper body  volume not important, lower body volume is important.

A thing I should say.  Volume training works, but it takes alot more time in the gym.  I've been able to accomplish as much with less work in less time using HST.  That is pretty darn good in my book, because I have a very tight schedule.

I'm so happy...  I can't tell you how glad I am to have found HST.

Back