HIIT

This is an interesting report. If I read it correctly, it suggests that Tabatta style HIIT programs increase both aerobic and anaerobic capacity better than HIIT programs that allow for greater rest periods.

But my question is this, which is better for burning fat which is my prime motivation?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captain Crunch @ July 02 2005,5:05)]So, you don't think you have time to exercise!!! ;)
That's foks number one excuse. I guess I can't use that one any more :D

Thanks for posting that, it is an interesting read.

I remember reading about Tabatta's work a while ago in, of all places, Men's Fitness. Seemed interesting, and if I remember correctly as studied it should apply accross the boards to most if not all aerobic training.

Am I reading that right?

2 minutes of 20 seconds full throttle and 10 seconds reset is as effective as 2 hours of steady speed cardio?

When I do hiit on the treadmill i go for a minute at top speed on the treadmill (approx 8.8 mph) for a minute and then 5.1 for a minute. I guess i need to try this.

Keep in mind people, that this article said nothing about the fat burning properties of the training methods. That's not what they were looking at, they were looking at increasing VO2max performance.
I doubt 2 mins of anything is going to be as effective for fat loss as 1-2 hours of steady state.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ July 19 2005,1:51)]Keep in mind people, that this article said nothing about the fat burning properties of the training methods. That's not what they were looking at, they were looking at increasing VO2max performance.
I doubt 2 mins of anything is going to be as effective for fat loss as 1-2 hours of steady state.
That's kind of what I was figuring.

Thanks

Any high intensity cardio is going to be better for fat loss anyway, and the duration isn't too important. Worry most about total caloric intake. The rest is just details.

Back