How about increasing weight once a week?

Stefan

Would HST work if I increased the weight every week and used only 6 and 12 reps? It would look something like this:

I'd train mon, wen, fri.

week 1: 12 reps
week 2: 12 reps + 5 kg
week 3: 12 reps + 10 kg (which would be max)
week 4: 6 reps
week 5: 6 reps + 5 kg
week 6: 6 reps + 10 (max)
week 7: 6 reps max
week 8: SD

Obviously, the increments will differ depening on the exercise but an increase would only take place once a week.

What do you think?

You could probably stretch it out a bit longer than that when increasing only once a week, but I agree, it should work well. I've been experimenting with this kind of thing and I think it's great.

Yes, that would work.

You know what can even be more fun?

Do the routine 6x a week. To make sure you don't burn out, do only one good set per exercise. If your target is 12, but the weight is a little light, extend it to something like 15 or you feel you can stop already, perhaps whichever comes first.
By doing only one good set per exercise, you might be able to crank out more reps than you would be able to had you needed to do 2 good sets per exercise. And since you would workout 6x a week, that's just like working out 3x a week, with the added advantage of possibly cranking out more reps without punishing yourself so much. And since protein synthesis peaks at around 24 hours, you might also enjoy the benefit of a slightly better summation effect.

Not saying that would produce way more hypertrophy. May or may not, depends on a lot of other factors, including some very personal preferences. And you may have to eat a little more if you train 6x a week. But maybe not so much more, since we'll be training 6x a week to make each workout shorter and a little less intense. Not really a big factor, it seems to me, since most guys eat way too much than they really need to because of overestimated calorie needs.

Regards,
-JV

Back