How is this possible?

mciarlo1287

After my first cylce, I gained about 7 pounds of muscle.  I am 5'7" and I went from 148-155. However, I am almost at the end of my second cycle, and I haven't gained anything. I may have gone up to about 156. Granted I use a bowflex, but I eat about 2500-3000 calories a day, I'm know I work my *** off when I'm lifting, I work out 3 days a week full body excersises, and I do HIIT 3 days a week on my off days. how come everyone claims 12 lbs gained, 15lbs gained.....where's my big gains?
here is my routine
shoulder press (x2)
single leg db squats(x2)
bench press (x2)
pull downs(x1)(sometimes 2)
seated row(x1) (sometimes 2)
inclined curl(x2)
tricep pulldown(x2)
calf raises(x2)
shoulder shrug(x2)
abs (x2)

P.S. I read somewhere that the optimal "schedule" for hst would be something like a week of 15s, a week of 12s, 10s, 8s, 6s, 4s for the 6 weeks. This is what I did for my second cycle. However, for the first I did 15, 10, and 5. Besides the change in RMs, what could prevent me from gaining much LBM?

You'll gain again. Your new muscle from cycle one is going to increase your BMR, so you may need more calories, especially if you are eating about the same as the first cycle. So, to get that caloric surplus, eat more or decrease the cardio.

he is right. you can't mathematically gain weight unless you are eating more than you are burning.

Well, the only reason I began cardio was becasue my bf was increasing. However, I may need to adjust my cardio and caloric intake. And I guess if that seems to be my only fault, I will fix it asap. Thanx for all the help. Much appreciated.

I am just finishing my second cycle of HST and have not gained a pound (have not lost any weight either though) but I certainly have done some shaping and lost some body fat. I am also still feeling strong although not as strong as when I was doing my strength training during the winter. I can't even imagine eating more food than I am now. I try to take a couple of extra protein shakes everyday just to get about 500 extra calories into me but to actually eat more meals than I am I think I would burst. I don't know how some of these people are putting on 10 lbs in one cycle unless they do nothing at all but sleep and workout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captain Crunch @ June 22 2005,10:08)]I am just finishing my second cycle of HST and have not gained a pound (have not lost any weight either though) but I certainly have done some shaping and lost some body fat. I am also still feeling strong although not as strong as when I was doing my strength training during the winter. I can't even imagine eating more food than I am now. I try to take a couple of extra protein shakes everyday just to get about 500 extra calories into me but to actually eat more meals than I am I think I would burst. I don't know how some of these people are putting on 10 lbs in one cycle unless they do nothing at all but sleep and workout.
Captain,

You definately did gain muscle. In fact it's easy to calculate exactly how much. Determine the %bf you dropped and convert that to pounds. Since your weight didn't go down, the difference of fat lost is made up by muscle gained. You simultaneously lost fat and gained muscle. Way to go
thumbs-up.gif

Captain

I am in the same boat, in fact I have noticed the other day that I will definitely have to increase my calory intake as I have not gained much :confused:

However I have seen a monstrous transformation in LBM compared to where I was before I to my joy I can almost see my abs the way I'd like to see them
happy.gif

So I can side with Goal220 here, also I could increase my cardio then not now, so that I can getto the rest of my goals, for now I am as happy as could be with the input I am putting in.

One of these days I'll post a before after set of photos for all to see.

Ciao

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mciarlo1287 @ June 22 2005,7:20)]Granted I use a bowflex...
The Bowflex is effective. It's overpriced and marketed to a lot of people who don't use it correctly which helps contribute to its bad reputation, but it's a piece of equipment that will work if used correctly. Like everyone else said, diet is the most likely problem. If you're worried about increased fat gain you could try some nutrient partitioners/thermogenics. May or may not help. Two that get very good reviews are Gucophase XR from Designer Supplements and cAMPHIBOLIC from USP Labs.

Back