How long does it REALLY take to get big?

JVROIG wrote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I usually wear those big button-down polos. Nobody notices my muscle there. I look like an ordinary guy who probably never lifted a weight in his life.
I admit I bought some "custom fit" polos by Rauph Lauren.  Also got some "normal" t-shirts that have a trimmer cut than some.  call me a show off
dozingoff.gif
.  As I tried on polos and t-shirts -- I realize that many are cut huge and baggy these days.  I think they are to hide, the normal fat guys build.  Medium and x-large these days can be a lot bigger than they used to be.  It also varies by manufacturer.  Some smalls are the same size as other manufacturers large.  I got a t-shirt that was a line for college kids.  I am far from college but maybe my body isn't.  
sneaky2.gif

I think guys can look goofy with too tight a shirt  so you gotta be careful.  Also the custom fit stuff and better t-shirts can be pricey  so I get them on sale or at a discount store.
Bob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Dec. 03 2005,11:25)]JVROIG wrote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I usually wear those big button-down polos. Nobody notices my muscle there. I look like an ordinary guy who probably never lifted a weight in his life.
I admitt I bought some "custom fit" polos by rauph lauren.  Also got some "normal" t-shirts that have a trimer cut than some.  call me a show off
dozingoff.gif
.  Cut as I try on polos and t-shirts I realize that many are cut huge and baggy these days.  I think they are to hide, the normal a little bit fat guys build.  Medium and x-large these days can be alot bigger than they used to be.  It also varries by manufacturer.  Some smalls are the same size as other manufacturers large.  I got a t-shirt that was a line for college kids.  I am far from college but maybe my body is'nt.  
sneaky2.gif

I think guys can look googy with too tight a shirt  so you gotta be careful.  Also the custom fit stuff and better t-shirts can be pricey  so I get them on sale or at a discount store.
Bob
I wouldn't be surprised the whole issue about clothes is about the fact that sooooo many Americans are now obese. In fact, it might be that large sizes are not large any longer, but "whale big".

I wear normal clothes, shirts with collars, etc. I can always flex my pecs or rear delts and make almost any shirt ripple.

laugh.gif

i put my measurements in the calculator 73 inches tall, 7.5inch wrists, and 9inch ankles. i am a bit dissapointed that size calculator says i can only get to 205lbs at 8%, right now i am 200lbs at about 14%. however it says i can get my arms almost up to 18" so thats cool. is that suppose to be flexed? cold?

i feel like i could hit atleast 215lbs at 8%,as I only recently started lifting legs. i think my skinny ankles are what kept the calculation down. does anyone know how accurate the calculator is?

Don't worry jw, it said about the same thing about me. But can you imagine what those measurements would look at if you were walking around at 8% bodyfat? It would be fairly impressive. That's almost 190 lbs of lean mass. Like you, I'm somewhat skeptical though. Currenlty I'm 210 lbs at around 12-14%, so according to that, I can only gain another five pounds of lean mass. Funny, because my chest and arms aren't anywhere close to what it predicts.

yeah it says my arms can be 18". i would be thrilled with that! i dont think it is too accurate, as my ankles are sort of out of proportion with the rest of me.

keep in mind though, if you are to put another inch or two on your arms, it would probably weigh very little in comparison to other muscle groups.

Yeah, that calculator says some weird things, my arms are only supposed to get to 14.5" but ar ealready 15.5".

Bryan did say growth gows slow once you close to some of these targets, I suppose that is why I am going at snails pace.
dozingoff.gif

This weekend went to the beach and man...was I humbled besides the normal potbelly guys atht are quite the norm, there were some real cool bods around, and quite a lot of flat bellies to saythe least, I was humbled!
blush.gif

I can share the reason why JV keeps going back to the large pollo tops, man...it is up and down...some days I wear shirts other T-shirts, others even vests, summer is just cool.

And so is HST.....
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, that's the common way to measure upper arms - flexed and wrapping the tape around the thickest part.

But is this fully pumped or cold, right out of the box? After a workout my arms are about 3/4 " bigger than normal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ Dec. 06 2005,8:24)]
I would have thought cold. Yeh, I get about 1/4" - 1/2" pumped but if it's only temporary I don't see the point of including it in measurements. Unless you carry weights around and stay pumped all day :)

Yeah, cold would be the only meaningful measurement.

Never carried weights around with me, but I have done a bunch of push-ups shortly before my girlfriend was gonna come over. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gripstrength @ Dec. 07 2005,3:01)]
I remember some research was done with birds, or something, which involved loading the wings with weights. They found that the muscles grew over time.

I'd like to try it, but I'm scared I'll end up dragging my knucles on the floor :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NeeBone @ Dec. 07 2005,5:49)]
gripstrength said:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]1]
I remember some research was done with birds, or something, which involved loading the wings with weights. They found that the muscles grew over time.
I'd like to try it, but I'm scared I'll end up dragging my knucles on the floor :)
The human way to do that is:

Get fat and walk around carrying the extra, that'll work too.

Most ex-fat people have great legs.

laugh.gif

Unless he is saying to walk around carrying weights on you all day. Go on a backpacking trip through the mountains for a couple weeks as a substitute for your 15's and 10's and see how you feel after that!
tounge.gif

Hmm, that is an interesting idea...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Dec. 03 2005,11:25)]JVROIG wrote
[b said:
I admit I bought some "custom fit" polos by Rauph Lauren. Also got some "normal" t-shirts that have a trimmer cut than some. call me a show off
dozingoff.gif
. As I tried on polos and t-shirts -- I realize that many are cut huge and baggy these days. I think they are to hide, the normal fat guys build. Medium and x-large these days can be a lot bigger than they used to be. It also varies by manufacturer. Some smalls are the same size as other manufacturers large. I got a t-shirt that was a line for college kids. I am far from college but maybe my body isn't.
sneaky2.gif

I think guys can look goofy with too tight a shirt so you gotta be careful. Also the custom fit stuff and better t-shirts can be pricey so I get them on sale or at a discount store.
Bob
God this is SO true. I'm hardly a small guy, 5'11", 195lbs, 32' waist, 46 chest, 17 arms etc.....

A few years ago, I used to wear large and X-large shirts comfortably. I went out over the summer for some new clothes for work, polo's etc., and to my astonishment, the smalls fit! I was like, what the heck? Tried on a few large, and I was swimming in them. Same goes for pants. Strange sizing that is. My waist measures 32" with a tape, however, I can wear as small as 29" pants, LOL. The 32's literally fall off of me. Vanity sizing I think it's called.
tounge.gif

It really depends what manufacturer you are buying the clothes from. I used to be able to fit in smalls in high school, and now I can't even fit into mediums (but then again I am taller than you Rotlex.)

Back