How screwed am I?How should I proceed?

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by Myrrhman, May 19, 2012.

1. Myrrhman

Myrrhman New Member

This is my first time doing a HST cycle and I'm on my third week (ninth session) and I miscalculated my 10s RM for some exercises (tricep pulldowns, barbell curls, chin-ups) and I ended up doing my RMs for those 3 exercises today (third day of 10s cycle). In short, I did the weights of the 4th, 5th and 6th day of the 10RM cycle the first 3 days instead. Am I fuxed big time? Should I just keep using the same weight? Should I deweight? My solutions for chin-ups would be to drop the weight and do BW in the 7-8 rep, I don't know, or I could just go back to lat pulldowns.

Also, something has been bugging me for a while. In the last 2 weeks after the 5RM cycle I plan on working within 5 reps instead of doing negs. Should I just use my already set 5RM for the whole 6 days, or should I increase weight if I can? Should I train within 2 or 3 sets the last month of the 2-week cycle?

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

If you miscalculated, just drop the weight a bit your next workout and make sure your 5 rep mesocycle is correct as the 5 rep mesocycle is going to be the most important IMO. Heck, dropping the weight might even lend to some CNS recovery, though your CNS shouldn't be too taxed at the moment seeing as you're only a few days into your 10 rep max cycle.

Now you don't want miscalculated 5 rep numbers because your 5 rep mesocycle is where you lift the most weight and thus can lead to more CNS fatigue if you start going to failure early in the mesocycle. So again, make sure those are correct.

If you do a 2nd 5 rep mesocycle, it'd be a good idea to try and push for a new rep max. On the second week I usually take the submaxes and max from the first 5 rep mesocycle and push them up 5-10lb (it's going to depend on how much weight you're lifting). Really try to go all out that last week. If you start to burn out, you know you're about to SD so you'll be good to go for the next cycle.

The set program calls to train 3 sets for the 5 rep mesocycle but if you start to burn out you can drop the volume to 2 sets as you near your max. At the end of the day it's about keeping volume the same throughout the entire cycle while progressing in load, but if you know you can't hit all the reps for the third set and you're only starting the 5 rep mesocycle, then you can reexamine how much volume you feel you can do as opposed to the weight you're lifting. But if you have long enough rest periods then you should be able to crank out at least 4, if not all of the reps on the 3rd set by the time you hit you hit your max day.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  3. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

The first issue really isn't as big of a deal as you might think. Just keep using the same weight. Or just do the loads you were supposed to use for the 4th, 5th and 6th days even though you already did them. It won't really make that much of a difference. We've all done something like this before. Just keep going.

For the last 2 weeks, attempt to increase the weight each session until you find new 5 RMs for each lift. Record those new 5 RMs and use them to plan out your next cycle.