how to get harder muscles

spikehead

Is muscle hardness (in a relaxed, non-pumped state) a function of how much body fat you have? I was wondering whether I could expect my muscles to feel harder by lowering my body fat. That would be great motivation for me to lose body fat.

This is completely anecdodal evidence, but I believe that to an extent, muscle "firmness" or "hardness" has a strong genetic component. For example, my BF is pretty low, most people consider me "cut." This gives me the look of muscularity. When any of my muscles are flacid, they are pretty soft. In contrast, I have a buddy who is about the same body composition and has about the same muscularity who is hard as a freakin' rock. There is a noticeable difference between the two of us.

Why? I have no clue. I've tried to do a little research on the subject and have not really come up with anything. Maybe this is something Bryan can shed some light on.

What I can tell you is that yes, lower BF helps your muscles to feel more firm. Less fat in those adipose cells to feel all squishy.  ;)

With mammals and birds, the older the animal, the tougher and stringier the meat is. I suspect the same to be true in Man. Most men do not get that "mature" look in their muscles until age 25 or so. Therefore, I would guess that age is the biggest factor in getting that 'hard' look assuming, of course, the requisite leanness is already there.

so you must look like really really really hard O&G?
tounge.gif

do a search on vinegar (acetic acid). many have reported a fuller (non-bloated) look by ingesting it after training and with a bunch of carbs (malto, for example).

I'm starting to realize that firm muscles when not flexed or pumped is not a good thing and not something I should strive for. However I can't help but want some more firmness.

Water retention is also a factor in muscle hardness. As far as I know my muscles are a lot harder (although smaller) when i'm not hydrated.

Back