Hst/531/upper Lower Split

How do you perform BB rows, do you rest the bar on the floor between reps as Pendlay rows? You could substitute rows for chins as you will be hitting lower back with deadlifts as well.

No I keep them held the entire time. Traditional - I would do pull ups but I find them a bit too hard to progress well since the weight management is tricky. Too many variables.

Okay, thats what I was thinking - Any thoughts on what I could substitute BB rows for - I did this before when I did hst and I found at a point my lwoerback was getting sore often - but I think that was a case of muscle tightness - I never stretched, I did warm up sets but my lower back and hips got very tight. But maybe now that I'm doing agile 8+upper body that won't happen? A lot of people seem to be scared of the thought of rowing and dl 3x a week

If you aren't doing something for your rear delts and rotator cuffs then you're going to regret it, IMO. @Old and Grey can probably back me up here, but if he's too busy just trust me; rear delt raises or band work, definitely some form of strict vertical pulling with emphasis on quality repetitions rather than load progression.

Re: "muscle tightness" - your muscles aren't tight, it's your joints. Just do some static stretching before bed each night, I'm sure you can find 15-20mins 5-7 days a week before clocking out.

Not everyone buys into INOL but here's a decent video about it. This will help you understand what your overall program intensity is without performing the workout.

Pull ups weighted
One arm DB rows with leg supported on bench
Pull downs
Seated cable rows

All done using a neutral grip to avoid wrist injuries.

@Jester

My recommendation is seated horizontal face pulls using a triceps rope attached to a low pulley machine. External band rotations are also excellent for higher rep work. If you don't do something to develop the rear delts, you will get that rounded shoulder look from tendons shortening from too much bench pressing. That can lead to rotator cuff problems laer on in life.

I will definitely do that - I noticed that happened last time and did indeed get a rotator cuff injury so I will be sure to do some face pulls as I did them before and they helped.

Thus far this is my regimen.

Bench
OHP
BB Rows

Assistance Work
CGBP 6-10 reps
Chin ups or maybe cg pull downs 6-10
Face Pulls 15-20 Reps

Anything else?

Alright - one rotation done so far. Feeling good - I've read it'll take me about 3-4 weeks to get used to the frequency. I will continue to update and keep this thread active with progress. We'll see how easily I can squat, deadlift, sldl tomorrow lol

I am sore! lol Not all that bad actually - just my back. I think between deads and rows my body is getting used to the increased frequency. Nice so far though - lifts are going well. Picked up some wrist wraps and chalk.

So I have learned that doing squats and deadlifts all in one workout is very tough. If you do this - make sure you have your main meal before you lift on this day. Or face death.

Back