HST - 6x / week

bong_ilong

Hi guys! I read in some posts that performing full body routine 6x / week could really benefit people trying to cut. I really don't understand how this is done. Would this mean that instead of doing 6 days for the 15s, 10s, and 5s, i would be doing 12 for each? How are the increments done? Hope you could enlighten me
worship.gif

Also, what are the negative effects of high-frequency and how could it be avoided. Thanks!
thumbs-up.gif

well i think there are two main reason why 6x full body might help to cut:

1. you burn more calories...pretty simple

2. better partitionning effect of food

but on the other hand, 6x full body will stress your cns/recovery ability a lot! especially if you reach weights close to your rm...

bong

Higher frequency will in turn require higher calories, thus the benefit of 6x week HST programs.

There are a variety of those "floating" around, I think Jester has done one as well, I am doing 5x week 3 days compounds 2 days iso's, but that is my own experiment and has nothing much to do with what other people are doing, except that I am following HST principles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would this mean that instead of doing 6 days for the 15s, 10s, and 5s, i would be doing 12 for each?

Nope, you'd still do the 15's, 10's and 5's right through as per normal but 6 days instead of 3, except that you may split up your frequency a bit more in order to get a spread, however that depends on how much you want to get done per minicycle and per week, I hope I am making myself understood
butbut.gif

You have to increase the nutrition side to back the higher frequency in order to avoid burnout, and then be much more careful not to go too close to failure!
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How are the increments done?

As normal, mate, increase 5% for isolations and 10% for compounds, and keep increasing as you progress, if progression is too much you can increase evry other day or so!

Hope this hleps
thumbs-up.gif

You lost me there Fausto! hehe
tounge.gif

For instance I am supposed to do Bench and Curls for the week. Originally, on the weights on the normal HST:

BP - 100, 110, 120
Curl - 10, 15, 20

How am i supposed to modify the weights and increments of these 2 exercises for a 5x / week HST? :D

bong

Don't stress too much about that!
happy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BP - 100, 110, 120
Curl - 10, 15, 20

BP - 100, 100, 110, 110, 120, 120 or 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 120 or 125 (depending on whether that is your absolute maximum), but progression 1 is just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5x / week HST

I thought you said 6x week, no probs, you decide which increment you will repeat or leave behind!
happy.gif

6x week primer:

If you want to gain on a high frequency routine then you MUST eat enough to be gaining fat. Higher frequency alters the equation and your caloric demands increase more than linearly.

You have several options regarding your workouts.

You can either double up on your weights:

100, 100, 110, 110, 120, 120

You can either reduce increment size:

95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120

Or you can create 2 routines, each being performed 3x weekly:

A-100, B-85, A-110, B-95, A-120, B-105

A = Pulldowns/Bench
B = Rows/Incline Bench

For smaller exercises (isolations) you may not wish to alternate and use one of the first two options of progression.

You need to progress the same absolute numbers as if you were doing 3x a week, but how you do it is up to you.

Use the same volume as you would for 3x a week, and then spread it out for 6x.

So if you were doing 2x exercise, thrice weekly..it now becomes 1x exercise 6 times per week.

Only if you DO NOT GROW do you increase the volume. This is not a guessing game or how you feel etc...gains are your barometer for volume increase.

Have a hypercaloric carb day once a week even if cutting. I like to do this on day 3 or 4. IF you're bulking, then do it on day 3 and day 6.

Back