HST after 5 year lay off

Howard Roark

Hey all,

What would you guys recommend for someone who is coming back after a 5 year break from lifting in regards to setting up a program? For instance, I can tell you it will be very difficult for me mentally to start up, get my maxes, and then take a week off. Starting is the hardest part, and taking a break would throw me off.

Any suggestions? I think i'm pretty deconditioned as it is!

Thanks!

Hi Howard, why not just spend a month or two doing a linear progression program; something like Rippetoe's Starting Strength, his Practical Programming Novice Program, or Onus Wunsler Beginner Program to get back into lifting? I appreciate you aren't a novice but a good linear program should produce some quick results and make the most of muscle memory. They're all nice and straightforward too.

From the SS Wiki:

Starting Strength Program:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Onus Wunsler Beginner Program (from SS):

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift / 5x3 Power Cleans (Alternating)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 or 5x10 Back Extensions (unweighted if progressing to GHR, weighted if not)
Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Practical Programming Novice Program:

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Check this link for more details:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki....trength

Don't forget your 20's. Connective tissue can age faster than one might first imagine. I have learned this the hard way.

As for what to do, Lol's suggestion is good. An alternative would be to start out with a full body workout three times per week for one to two weeks. Track your volume load (weight x sets x reps) and increase it over the next 3-4 weeks by going to a 4 day split routine and adding weight slightly with each new week. This is a basic strategy recommended by periodization texts to increase work and recovery ability. Once these have been increased you will finished with a recovery week of reduced load and volume. During this time take your maxes then start HST.

or just start your HST routine without the SD,then take one after your cycle.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you've had enough SD, Howard. Get lifting! Guess on the low side and get going.  I wouldn't go below 8 reps for at least 3 months. You need to retrain your connective tissue before you go into strength training or you may end up taking another 5 years off involuntarily.  
wow.gif

“My work done my way. A private, personal, selfish, egotistical motivation. That’s the only way I function. That’s all I am.“ ... Howard Roark

Start conservatively. I mean, round down when you are establishing your maxes. After such a long break, it should take much to get things growing again.

-bryan

Back