1. Thinking about how to blend size and strength, and looking over the HST forum, a bright light shined at me from my window, and a voice from heaven spoke to me. OK, not really, but it sounds good. My thought is... why not do an HST cycle, and when you get to the 5's, run 5x5 for 4 weeks on whichever movements you want to train. Then go ahead and train the rest of your body around that. It's pretty open to personalization, and 5x5 works just fine to get stonger. And it doesn't totally disrupt the HST cycle. If anyone would like to try it in their cycle, go ahead and then post back w/ your feelings and results.

2. OneMoreRep

OneMoreRep New Member

sounds good give it a shot. ( maybe drop isos when u get to this phase tho. )

3. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

I supplement my HST workouts with a 5X5 routine twice a year for one month each. I like the results.

4. JMB131

JMB131 New Member

can you guys give more detail on how you run your 5 x 5 workouts. are the first two sets warmups or are all 5 work sets. do you reach failure on any sets? how many workouts per week, how many exercises per bodypart? thats alot of questions but i've been thinking seriously about alternating size and strength cycles for awhile?

5. Scott S

Scott S New Member

There are several ways to do 5x5. In some readings, such as John McCallum's, start with a weight 100 lbs (or so) below your 5RM and do 5 reps. Next, add 50 lbs and do 5 reps. Then, jump up to your best weight for 3 sets of 5.

Otherwise, you could get warmed up and do 5 sets of 5 with the same weight, bumping up the weight when you can get all 25. If you reach failure at all in the first four sets, you're using too much weight.

Hope this helps.