HST and abs

psychedout

Do you guys use HST for ab training? i.e. Go through the 15's,10's,5's, etc with an exercise like weighted crunches?

Or do you kinda just keep doing your on thing when it comes to abs?

Psyched

Most of us do not aim at progression with abs, you can use some resistance but what one wants is flat washboard abs, and the secret to that is nutrition.

Exercising the abs is not necessarily going to get them right per se, but rather will strengthen them.

Crunches and not full range, and whatever other varieties are out there, reduce carbs as much as possible to get the body fat at maybe 8% and you'll start seeing them abs
laugh.gif

As I have mentioned before, I 'm with Fausto on this ab thing. My goal is not so much huge abs, but a flat and defined stomach. When it comes to abs, I just stick with 15-20 reps throughout my cycle. Nutrition is literally everything (with added cardio as needed).

Sweat baby sweat!
sneaky2.gif

I forgot the good ol' cardio! If you want them ripped, then that is the way to go!
tounge.gif

I do them occasionally during a bulking cycle, HST style. My abs haven't gotten abnormally huge as a result. My deadlifts, squats and rows have gained a lot of strength on cycles when I did abs HST style though. I really don't think you'll get huge abs that stick out and look like a fat stomach unless you abuse growth hormone.

Tot

As I said, dude, one can.

To an extent, but really causing hypertrophy in this area is not the desired effect I think!

One can however prescribe a small progression that will enhance this muscle group well.

I still insist that nutrition and some smart cardio is the secret, one of the best examples around as far as I am concerned is Tom Venuto his views are quite the same!

Fausto

Oh yeah, I agree that low bodyfat is the only way to get your abs to show through real well. Although mine still show a four pack pretty well when I'm around 13-15% bodyfat, when most guys have nothing. I just think that strong abs are useful for a lot of things, so it's a good idea to do some work on them once in a while.

Back