HST and natural GH release

tjframe

I was just browsing through an old book titled "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Michael Colgan, a pretty well known sports nutrition expert.  Colgan mentions that sleep and training both produce spikes in GH serum. Colgan recommends napping and FREQUENT, TWICE A DAY TRAINING to maximize this effect.. So he sort of recommends an HST type routine but for different reasons than the ones I've seen explained here.
Does anyone know more about this?  Does the increased GH from frequent training actually contribute a measurable amount towards muscle growth. If it does, perhaps this synergy is yet another reason why HST works so well vs. low frequency training.
- TJ
By the way.. that book, from 1993, is the first time I ever heard of Clenbuteral :)

GH release is related more to the activation of the anaerobic path of metabolism than aerobic path. Any lactate accumulating exercise (the 15's and drops sets) will invoke an increase in GH activity, which is why concentric reps have shown more GH activity than eccentric, different metabolic demands. If I remember it has something to do with the fatty acid metabolism in the muscle or something like that. Somebody else could probably explain that part better.

Just an FYI GH administration has shown little effect on increasing PS or attenuating Breakdown also increasing muscle mass, some reports has shown an increase in FFM but when looking at muscle mass alone there was little improvement.

Deyssig, R., Frisch H., Blum WF., and Waldhor T. Effect of growth hormone treatment on hormonal parameters, body composition and strength in athletes. Act Endocrinol. 128:313-318, 1998.

Yarasheski KE., Campbell JA., Smith K., et al: Effect of growth hormone and resistance exercise on muscle growth in young men. Am. J Physiol. 262 (Endocrinol. Metab. 25):E261-E267, 1992.

Yarasheski KE., Zachwieja JJ., Angelopolous TJ., and Bier DM. Short term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in experienced weight lifters. J. Appl. Physiol. 74:3073-3076, 1993.

Mooney, Michael, HIV Study Shows No Muscle Growth From Serostim Growth Hormone, Medibolics, July, 1999

Crist DM, et al. Body composition response to exogenous GH during training in highly conditioned adults. J Appl Physiol. 1988 Aug;65(2):579-84.

About the sleep aspect, GH secretion occurs mostly during deep sleep not napping so I'm not sure how valid that statement would be.

Obal F Jr, Krueger JM.
GHRH and sleep.
Sleep Med Rev. 2004 Oct;8(5):367-77. Review.

Back