HST contradiction or!?

Blicher

I read the article "what is HST" with great enthusiasm since I was on the look out for new trainings methods. It sounds really great and I'm eager to try it out, but one major question struck me though on the last page.

HST seems to be contradictory - can it be true!? I hope not! Anyway, my problem is, that the article both advocate obligatory increase in weight each workout &quot; <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This means that at times you may be working with less than your maximum weight for any given rep scheme. This is by design. You will reach max poundages for a given rep range on the last workout of each two week block&quot;</div>. But further down the page the article said <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;There is no problem with a single set per body part as long as it is a maximum effort and/or the rep tempo and form is strictly controlled or the weight is extremely heavy preventing further sets&quot;. </div>But if you start out with less than maximum weight how is it possible to prevent further reps. when you reach the 15, 10 or 5 reps.!?
Have I totally misunderstod something or is there a problem here!?
rock.gif

regards Blicher

Just replace &quot;it is a maximum effort&quot; with &quot;the load is heavy enough (considering the muscle's level of conditioning)&quot;.

Good Luck!

I think that any contradictions found in HST (that I have come across) have nothing to do with the principles, but in individuals' attempts in explaining them. Bryon's ability to put all these principles together ise invaluable, but sometimes, he and others choose some wording that seems to miss the mark a little, or come off a little confusing -- but I don't expect any person to be 100% perfect all the time. This forum is great for clearing up confusion and misunderstanding.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the world ofr &quot;error 500!!!&quot;

I've found it works like this:

You measure your 15, 10 and 5 rep maxes - for just one set each. Then you SD. When you come back, you're a bit weaker, so lifting 70% of your 15 rep max is pretty much working at maximum effort. After two weeks, you've got your strength back, and can lift your previous 15rm.

In week three, you've got your strength back, but even though you're only lifting 70% of your 10rm, you're doing it for two sets. By the end of week 4, you lift your previous 10rm twice, but do it twice.

And so-on, into weeks 5 and 6 where you're working up to doing your 5rm three or four times.

When I measure my 5rms, if I can only lift 4 reps, I mark that weight as the 5rm. By the time I work back there, I often have to increase that weight some more. The weight that seven weeks earlier I killed myself to lift just four times I can now lift for at least three sets of five. I take this as proof that the system's working. ;)

Chris.

Keystone also replied to this question in one of the multiple duplicates that blicher posted because he obviously hasn't read the Error 500 Topic
rock.gif
So I am moving it here and have deleted the duplicates all 10 of them.
sad.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One quote is addressing the debate about working out at your max and the other is addressing the debate of 1 work set or multiple sets.  

But to add to this. You can make any set tough by changing your temp, etc.  Just don't take it to the point of failure.  For example, I will slow my tempo down even on my first 15 rep workout to the point of even that set being tough.  You just want to get it to burn like the dickens!

Either one work set or multiple work sets are fine.  If you only do one, then make it a good one.  

Hope this helps.  

Keystone  </div>

<div>
(ChrisHouston @ Apr. 24 2006,11:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've found it works like this:

You measure your 15, 10 and 5 rep maxes - for just one set each. Then you SD. When you come back, you're a bit weaker, so lifting 70% of your 15 rep max is pretty much working at maximum effort. After two weeks, you've got your strength back, and can lift your previous 15 RM.</div>
I think your numbers are a little drastic unless I misunderstand what you're saying.  Say I've established all my rep maxes and then SD for a week or two.  If my 15 RM for a particular exercise was 100 lbs, there's no way I'd drop that down to 70 lbs when I came back, especially since 70 lbs would be the amount you'd be lifting during the 6th (final) workout of the 15's.

Everyone is different, but for me, there's no way I'd lose that much strength that fast.

<div>
(Enigma66 @ Apr. 24 2006,20:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think your numbers are a little drastic unless I misunderstand what you're saying. Say I've established all my rep maxes and then SD for a week or two. If my 15 RM for a particular exercise was 100 lbs, there's no way I'd drop that down to 70 lbs when I came back, especially since 70 lbs would be the amount you'd be lifting during the 6th (final) workout of the 15's.

Everyone is different, but for me, there's no way I'd lose that much strength that fast.</div>
I meant you'd start your 15s at 70 lbs, and end them at 100 again, but what with the bit of deconditioning, those first 70 lbs would feel pretty heavy when you got back.

<div>
(Blicher @ Apr. 24 2006,08:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read the article &quot;what is HST&quot; with great enthusiasm since I was on the look out for new trainings methods. It sounds really great and I'm eager to try it out, but one major question struck me though on the last page.

HST seems to be contradictory - can it be true!? I hope not! Anyway, my problem is, that the article both advocate obligatory increase in weight each workout &quot; <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This means that at times you may be working with less than your maximum weight for any given rep scheme. This is by design. You will reach max poundages for a given rep range on the last workout of each two week block&quot;</div>. But further down the page the article said <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;There is no problem with a single set per body part as long as it is a maximum effort and/or the rep tempo and form is strictly controlled or the weight is extremely heavy preventing further sets&quot;. </div>But if you start out with less than maximum weight how is it possible to prevent further reps. when you reach the 15, 10 or 5 reps.!?
Have I totally misunderstod something or is there a problem here!?
rock.gif

regards Blicher</div>
Hi Blicher,

We are dealing with two worlds here, one is the principle, the other is the application.

In Principle, the weight needs to increase over time. This is what most people know as &quot;progressive load&quot; or &quot;progressive resistance&quot;.

By increasing the load over time, we are able to keep the potency of the stimulus more constant given increasing levels of adaptation or &quot;conditioning&quot;.

In Practice, we have to deal with training planning. We have to keep track of muscle groups, exercises, sets, reps, days of the week, etc, etc.

A simple way to apply the principles is by dropping the reps by 5 every two weeks. It was my choice to have people &quot;zig zag&quot; their weight loads as they moved to another rep range so that they could use the same increments each workout during a given block, and for another reason not so much hypertrophy-specific.

Managing fatigue is always going to necessary if you are training frequently. So, by dropping the volume and/or load slightly every two weeks, one is able to let the nervous system recover or &quot;catch up&quot;.

When we put these temporary reducitons in volume/load in perspective, we see that they only occur every two weeks and only for 1 to 2 workouts. When we consider that the HST principles are based on physiological processes going on behind the scenes, we see that we really aren't hurting our progress significantly, and may even increase it depending on how much volume we are using.

I hope that clears things up a tiny bit.
smile.gif

Thank you for the many good answars, that made all the difference :-) I'll surely try it out once I've finished my current routine.

Back