hst everyday?

Yes. If you can handle it, you can do it. You can experiment with 5 to 6 times a week first if you want. Increased frequency can be a lot of fun.

I run under that bus twice per day, 5 days per week and love it.
happy.gif

Yeah, I think increased frequency is great for those of us who loathe off-days. I have such a hard time not picking up the weights on an off day.

Anyway, there definitely IS a point to doing it every day. You can get a lot more out of HST with increased frequency, but not everyone can handle it. You might have to cut down your volume if you go to doing it everyday, or you might find you need to eat significantly more.

I highly recommend giving it a try for a cycle or two though. I bet you'll love it.

Lets say you want to concentrate on a body part that is lagging. Would it be cool (given the previous agrument) to work THAT every day and do the rest of the scheduled WO 3 days a week?

I wanna be doing dips more for my triceps but I dont think I can handle (time wise) 5-6 times a week as yet.

Al, I think it makes the most sense to concentrate on larger body parts such as legs, back and chest that way. Whike I think it could be beneficial for lagging smaller body parts, there is less chance of overtraining them. Plus, the smaller body parts will still get a pretty good workout when using compound movements for the larger parts every day.

I hear ya. Would you the say that it is then better to wait until you get to a level of all-over growth before determining if parts are lagging behind?

I guess this would be better as they may come up on their own...in which case time could have been better spent in extra over-all training.

My personal philosophy is to train the larger body parts with high frequency, low daily volume but average weekly volume and use compound movements and the small ones will have to follow along. I think you need to get overall size and muscularity before worrying about the detail muscles.

Obviously you can have a lagging large body part, such as chest, in which case I would hit that with even more frequency but still stick to compound movements.

Everyone is talking about the summation effect. The growth factor signals are strongest when we wait 48 hours (Fadia Haddad et. al.) to train the muscle again. Why do you bother to train more frequently when the growth factor signals don`t get that strong?

Are you referring to this one rather dated study referring solely to a myogenic response in rats?

"Exercise Effects on Muscle Insulin Signaling and Action
Selected Contribution: Acute cellular and molecular responses to resistance exercise Fadia Haddad and Gregory R. Adams
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697

Training protocols apply sequential bouts of resistance exercise (RE) to induce the cellular and molecular responses necessary to produce compensatory hypertrophy. This study was designed to 1) define the time course of selected cellular and molecular responses to a single bout of RE and 2) examine the effects of interbout rest intervals on the summation of these responses. Rat muscles were exposed to RE via stimulation of the sciatic nerve in vivo. Stimulated and control muscles were obtained at various time points post-RE and analyzed via Western blot and RT-PCR. A single bout of RE increased intracellular signaling (i.e., phosphorylations) and expression of mRNAs for insulin-like growth factor-I system components and myogenic markers (e.g., cyclin D1, myogenin). A rest interval of 48 h between RE bouts resulted in much greater summation of myogenic responses than 24- or 8-h rest intervals. This experimental approach should be useful for studying the regulatory mechanisms that control the hypertrophy response. These methods could also be used to compare and contrast different exercise parameters (e.g., concentric vs. eccentric, etc.)."

Actually there are some that were done in, I think, 2004. Unfortunately, I did not archive them bit I did send them to DKM so perhaps he can post a link them. As I recall, they started to touch on frequency and the benefits that added frequency can give to hypertrophy. A lot of previous studies concentrated on strength and not hypertrophy so these were rather unique. I wish I had saved them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ April 05 2005,1:02)]Actually there are some that were done in, I think, 2004. Unfortunately, I did not archive them bit I did send them to DKM so perhaps he can post a link them. As I recall, they started to touch on frequency and the benefits that added frequency can give to hypertrophy. A lot of previous studies concentrated on strength and not hypertrophy so these were rather unique. I wish I had saved them.
I would love to read them. DMK, are you there?
thumbs-up.gif

O&G and Norman, I have them on my hard drive at home and I will post a link this evening when I get home.

Although the one O&G pointed too (Haddad) is on rats and dated ( :confused: ) Haddad and Adams have done a more recent on on humans but still used ES for the contracton, but again it points out some very interesting items in relation to the timing of the molecular events after exercise, much as the first. So I wouldn't discount that older study as it is important work.

Lastly, Willoughby also explored the efects of sequential bouts performed 48 hours apart and noted another very important aspect; Serum TST (test) and FAI (free androgen index) were significantly increased after each exercise bout however, there were no significant changes for SHBG. AR mRNA and protein were significantly increased after the second and third exercise bouts, respectively, and were significantly correlated to TST and FAI. Three sequential bouts of heavy resistance exercise increases serum TST and are effective at up-regulating AR mRNA.

BTW, you can read the full version of their first one here

And the second I have attached

I'm a frequency fiend (gone up as high as 12x-a-week . . . ) myself, but the "real world" advice is to give a shot and adjust your caloric intake accordingly. Most people who doesn't do well on 5-6x-a-week, underestimate how quickly they burn their glycogen stores training this way. It's usually advisable to carb up on rest days in order to really see the fruits of your labor.

Alternately, if you do have a pet bodypart, you can try JUST working that bodypart on your off days. The advantage here is that you don't have to worry about significantly increasing your food intake or overfatiguing yourself.

cheers,
Jules

Back