HST/HIT/SS

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the past year I have been doing HST with a couple of slight variations and have been very pleased with the results. After almost 50 years of lifting, I don’t expect big gains but was pleasantly surprised. Legs, arms, lats and traps responded better than they have for years. This program may not be for everyone but you might want to give it a shot if you think you are stalling out.

First though. It is important to recognize that you will go nowhere with any program if you don’t evaluate certain variables:

Testosterone Levels. If you don’t have any fuel in your car, you cannot start it, period. To gain lean muscle mass, you need to be producing testosterone. If your levels are below 300 or so ng/dl, your lifting results will be unsatisfactory no matter how perfect everything else is. Have your levels checked. Try to get them up to at least the 500-600 range. Testosterone levels can be influenced by many factors. However, to maximize your levels, don’t smoke, lay off alcohol in excess, eat a clean diet, take herbal supplements if necessary don't overdue cardio or, if you are on the downside of midlife like me, consider Androgel. See an Endochronologist to get evaluated.

Diet.  Eat clean. Diet is really important if you want to add lean mass. If you just want to bulk up, it is not as important. I typically prioritize my food intake by protein, good fats, complex carbs, simple carbs, bad fats.

Stress. Limit it in your life to the extent you can or it will limit your results.

Sleep.  Get enough of it.

The HST/HIT/SS Program:

This program steals ideas from all of the above routines but primarily HST. I don’t really use HIT in it but, rather, some of the more sane principles as put forth by Ellington Darden. The Super Slow portion only applies to certain exercises on my last set as you shall see if you can make it to the end of this post.

The program is an A, B, C split. That is, doing routine A on Monday, B on Wednesday and C on Friday or whatever schedule fits into my week. Sometimes I further split a day  into an AM/PM split or into a two day split. Sometimes I may work out for two days straight and then not lift again until 4 days later. I found little difference in results. Just try and be consistent from week-to-week, not day-to-day.

The programs are as follows:

A:

Incline Bench Press
Seated Military Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Behind Back Shrugs
Weighted Chin Ups
Barbell Curl
Leg Press

B:

Weighted Dips
One Arm Tricep Extensions
Lateral Raises
Dumbell Shrugs
Weighted Pull Ups
Incline DB Curls
Leg Extentions

C:

Flat Bench Flyes
Clean and Jerk
Shrug Bar Shrugs
Overhead Tricep Rope Extensions
Seated Rows
Hammer Curls
Deadlifts

Core Workout:

I also do a core workout twice a week consisting of hyperextensions, ab and neck exercises. It doesn’t matter which days they are performed.

Reps and Sets:

I do a six week cycle as follows:

Week 1: 15  Reps for 1 Set
Week 2: 10 Reps for 1 Set followed immediately by 1 Drop Set of 5 reps
Weeks 3-6: 5 Repsfor 1 Set followed immediately by 2 Drop Sets of 5 Reps each

For legs I start the first week with 25 reps, then 20 reps in the second week, 15 reps in the third week and 10 reps in weeks 4-6 as my legs respond better to higher reps. I adjust the drop sets to make sure that I always get at least a total of 25 reps in.

Comment:

So far I have outlined a pretty basic HST–type workout. Here is where I deviate a bit.

Effort:

Instead of using progressive load within a rep range, I go to within one rep of failure. However, I define failure as not being able to do another rep without compromising my form or tempo. It is not a “max effort” as used in HIT programs. I feel I can get away with it because I am not actually “failing” and do not repeat a specific exercise within a rep range so my muscles are being hit with slight variations in emphasis each workout. Many will disagree with this but I find it works pretty good for me.

Tempo and SS Reps:

I adjust my tempo as I go along to insure that all my sets are within one set of “failure.” I do this by feel. Generally, I start out with a 311 tempo and adjust to a slower, or faster, tempo as I approach my final reps to get the most effort out of each set within my personal failure guidelines. This goes for drop sets as well as the intitial set.

I make an exception to my last set of drop sets for certain exercises such as chin ups, pull ups and dips. On my second or last drop set I usually just as slow as I can and still complete the rep in good form. I do this only with exercises where my first drop set is using bodyweight only. For instance, with pull ups, I will do a set of 5’s with the appropriate weight attached to a belt. I then immediately drop the belt and do 5 more reps with just my bodyweight at a tempo that allows me to hit my failure criteria. Then I rest for no more than 10 seconds and do 1 bodyweight pull up as slowconcentrically and eccentrically as I can and maintain good form. That set is a real killer.

Final Comments:

I have been doing this program for close to a year now and am still making good results. I don’t burn out because I stay away from absolute failure. I don’t do negatives as they can sometimes cause injury, especially if you workout without a partner. After completing the sixth week, I take two weeks SD. I find the longer SD really helps me to recover fully and decondition my muscles to allow continued growth.

This is obviously not a program for a beginner lifter as it is too strenuous. Stick with regular HST if you are fairly new to lifting. However, if you are reasonably advanced, say 5 years of consistent lifting behind you, give it a try if you feel stale or just want to try something different. I have found that all programs have some benefit but that combining the best of each to meet your individual circumstances sometimes is best.

I know some will argue that doing just 7 exercises per workout during the 15's is too little. However, if you understand why you are doing the 15's, then you will probably realize that it is sufficient.

Others will wonder why I just do one week for the 15's and 10's but 4 weeks for the 5's. Primarily because that is works best for me right now. The 15's are for my joints. I don't get a lot of growth with 10's (this seems to often be the case with older more experienced lifters) but the 5's give me good hypertrophy in conjunction with the drop sets. I don't run into any RBE problems with 4 weeks of 5's since I am doing only not repeating movements within a given week and the time it takes RBE to kick in typically elongates as the number of reps decrease.

Anyway, I will now see if the board will accept this rather long post!

rock.gif

Good info about the test levels! I am going through that myself at age 34. Last time I was checked my levels were 151. Had my first injection last week and it is starting to kick in.

I have actually had good gains with HST in spite of my super low levels. I can't wait to see how my body responds to HST when my levels are high normal!

Spyke, 151 is certainly very low and not conducive to feeling very well. I actually went down to 79 at one point. Then my Endo convinced me to go on Androgel. I chose that over injections because it is easier to administer and you don't get the high and low spikes as with sporadic injections. With just 5mg of Androgel a day, I keep my test levels between 600 and 800 now. I tried 10 mg/day for a period and my test level shot to 1800. I prefer to keep it lower to help control my PSA levels. Let me know how you make out after a few months of the HRT.

1 Interesting post. Lots of things to try.
2 Good to see you post again. I don't post much myself but I've read LOADS of your previous posts. Always good reads.
Jazzer
smile.gif

The first part of your post (important variables) is a good summary for noobies. That's straight from your "Four Essential Elements to Building Muscle" thread from last summer/fall.

Questions and comments...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For legs I start the first week with 25 reps, then 20 reps in the second week, 15 reps in the third week and 10 reps in weeks 4-6 as my legs respond better to higher reps.</div>

You're not the only one. I forget who (JoeG, JoeMuscle, JWBond? one of them) recommended it to me but since last cycle, I have been implementing the 20-15-10 rep scheme for deadlifts, squats, leg extensions/curls, and calf raises. It works great!

In regards to drop sets.. using them as metabolic sets?

The ABC WO split... what's the point. You are just replacing one exercise with a similar one besides a couple exercises like deadlift, leg press, extensions. You're giving more merit to the myth of changing up the exercise to trick the muscle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Core Workout:

I also do a core workout twice a week consisting of hyperextensions, ab and neck exercises. It doesn’t matter which days they are performed.</div>

That's an interesting idea that I may take on. I miss doing hyperextensions. Mrs. gym-nazi at school yelled at me for hauling DB's up to the carpeted area to use for Hypers. I need to do this as 45lbs is not enough weight! Hopefully the guys back here at home won't care... it's all on the same level at this gym, so it looks like I will be good.

Anywho, what neck exercises do you do?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Instead of using progressive load within a rep range, I go to within one rep of failure.</div>

No progression at all then... just lifting your RM's each WO? Correct me if I am wrong.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I will do a set of 5’s with the appropriate weight attached to a belt. I then immediately drop the belt and do 5 more reps with just my bodyweight at a tempo that allows me to hit my failure criteria. Then I rest for no more than 10 seconds and do 1 bodyweight pull up as slowconcentrically and eccentrically as I can and maintain good form. </div>

There's HIT... minus hitting true failure.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I take two weeks SD. I find the longer SD really helps me to recover fully and decondition my muscles to allow continued growth.</div>

I agree, except for consecutive cutting cycles.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know some will argue that doing just 7 exercises per workout during the 15's is too little. However, if you understand why you are doing the 15's, then you will probably realize that it is sufficient.</div>

That's plenty. It seems the more of an HST vet you are, the less exercises you do... eventually settles to the main five (Deadlift, Squat, Military Press, Dips, Chins)

Finally, I'm not surprised it worked for you... but how is it like Strength-Specific training or HST without progressive load?

That's it for now... good to see a long O&amp;G post again.

-Colby

O&amp;G I like your concept a lot.

I too am die hard advecate of HST...but I have found you can tweak it intelligiently and keep it fun and interesting.

I am doing this now with my 24 rep method, that some have read about that I am trying.

Colby, good questions. Let's see now...

I don't use the drop sets so much as metabolic sets but to totally fatigue the muscle being worked. Might be the same thing but whatever it is called, it seems to work for me.  I believe metabolic drop sets usually go to about 15 reps whereby I go to 10 total reps. Small difference probably. If you want to call them metabolic sets, that's cool by me.  
smile.gif

&quot;The ABC WO split... what's the point.  You are just replacing one exercise with a similar one besides a couple exercises like deadlift, leg press, extensions.  You're giving more merit to the myth of changing up the exercise to trick the muscle.&quot;
Lol. Yup. I still believe in the myth. If you don't, how can you explain how free weights build better, more rounded muscles than rigid machines? To me, given a choice, variety is better than volume. It also helps me to keep a sharper mental focus by switching up.  
cool.gif

I have a real old neck machine that Mike Katz gave me when he re-equipped his gym. You can sit on it and face in 4 different directions to work each side of the neck independently. The one problem I have with it is that I have to hang a bunch of magnetic weights on the stack to get enough poundage these days.

You are correct. No progression within a rep range. I keep to my rep maxes. However, sometimes I find that during the 5's I will gain some strength and have to up the weights in some exercises the following week or go to a slower tempo to reach my definition of failure.

Continuing on...

&quot;There's HIT... minus hitting true failure.&quot;
I don't believe so. HIT usually is one set to absolute failure (even though true HITers will actually do about 5 progressive &quot;warm up&quot; sets first...they just don't count them as work sets.) I am using drop sets without going to absolute failure. Absolute failure at my age would would probably cause connective tissue damage, if not a heart attack.
rock.gif

&quot;I agree, except for consecutive cutting cycles.&quot; I would agree with that statement also except that, if you remember from some of my posts long ago, I don't believe in bulking and cutting. An initial cutting for someone overweight is obviously necessary but after that cycles of bulking and cutting are not, at least in this dummy's opinion, as healthy as just slowly adding lean body mass.

&quot;how is it like Strength-Specific training or HST without progressive load?&quot; That is one of the ways in which it varies from a strict definition of HST.
wink.gif

By the way, just for information purposes, I do not use HST for my core workouts. They are done to strengthen my spinal support muscles, not increase them. Besides, who wants a hypertrophied waistline?
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome backs guys!
smile.gif

Well, he's still progressing the load, just not as frequently as usual. I like to use the same weight for up to a week at times, and then use larger increments, but I also like to extend the cycle in the same way. I think what he's doing is along those lines, just taking it a bit further. RBE probably wouldn't be a problem within two weeks, except possibly with the lighter weights.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 16 2006,18:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Spyke, 151 is certainly very low and not conducive to feeling very well. I actually went down to 79 at one point. Then my Endo convinced me to go on Androgel. I chose that over injections because it is easier to administer and you don't get the high and low spikes as with sporadic injections.  With just 5mg of Androgel a day, I keep my test levels between 600 and 800 now. I tried 10 mg/day for a period and my test level shot to 1800. I prefer to keep it lower to help control my PSA levels. Let me know how you make out after a few months of the HRT.</div>
1800 from androgel...wow!
tounge.gif

That is a steroid cycle! I think I am going to inject weekly for now and do bloodwork again in a couple months and see where I am at. 800 is where I would like to level out at.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;I agree, except for consecutive cutting cycles.&quot; I would agree with that statement also except that, if you remember from some of my posts long ago, I don't believe in bulking and cutting. An initial cutting for someone overweight is obviously necessary but after that cycles of bulking and cutting are not, at least in this dummy's opinion, as healthy as just slowly adding lean body mass. </div>

If you remember, I was one of the few who agreed on the slow bulk method. The trouble with this is... I seriously want to cut and get ripped... then I'll go back to the slow bulk.

O &amp; G

As Usual an excellent post.

An interesting way to look at things, use of various methodologies using only the best part of each, just what I would expect from someone with experince that has good overall knowledge of HST!

Great to have you back,
cool.gif
dude!

Can you get prescribed androgel for any normal reason, or do you need to have low levels for them to give it to you?

I think I've heard about the stuff - doesn't it leave stains on clothes or something?

I'm going for a full check-up in 2 weeks, tho I have to go to the hospital to get my test levels checked.

Anyway, on the point about changing up the routines - wouldnt the differences between free-weights and machines be in the very linear movement of the machine? I mean with a bench machine, the movement is vertical with no need for stabilising muscles; whereas a barbell requires you to not just push the weight but also balance it on the way up/down. I would have thought you'd get an overall better definition in the overall look of the muscle with the free-weights due to that fact.

Tom, if you don't have low test levels there is no reason to take Androgel. The older forms of Androgel may have stained clothes. I'm not sure. The one's in use today do not, or at least I have not experienced it. Plus you let it dry for about 5 minutes before dressing.

NeeBone, I agree with you on machines but am not sure how that relates to changing up routines. However, as to machines themselves, safety should always be the prime consideration. For instance, I use a machine for neck exercises. Hanging a hundred pounds off my neck without a &quot;deadman's contol&quot; on it can be a bit dangerous. Where possible, however, I prefer free weights.

I dunno what my levels are, but hey, if they're on the low-end (say, 400 ng/dl), then if I can get my hands on some Androgel, what would be the drawback of using 2mg or so - a small dose, but enough to boost levels a bit?

Free weights, by definition, are unencumbered by any form of mechanics and friction. Every machine has some sort of friction coefficient that will effectively alter the load from the concentric part to the eccentric of the motion. IMHO, this is one of the main reasons why machines are less effective. The negative part of the motion is often a lot lighter than the positive part. Try using a machine for negatives and you will see what I mean. On the seated rowing machine that I use I have to load almost the same amount of weight on it for single-arm negs as I do for both-arm regular reps!

Some of the early Nautilus machines were a pretty good compromise but the friction is still there only it's more evenly balanced between the positive and negative movement.

I also agree with Neebone that more muscle control is required for free weight exercises. If more muscle is involved under more tension, just to maintain balance, then more total work is being done for a given load.

I can't see any reason why working out with machines or free-weights can alter the way a muscle grows. However, it does make sense that very often a free-weight exercise is going to require more work to be done and therefore will elicit superior growth stimulation over a machine set at a similar load.

That pretty much what I was getting at. Not that the machine changing the way a muscle grows, but that the stabilisers get activated more and therefore you may bet a better shape as MORE muscles (ie the stabilisers) get better growth.

Therefore, I would have thought that you'd need to change it up with machines to get these stabilisers working more than you would have to with free-weights (if you get what I'm saying).

Back