HST/HIT/SS

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 16 2006,14:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Effort:

Instead of using progressive load within a rep range, I go to within one rep of failure. However, I define failure as not being able to do another rep without compromising my form or tempo. It is not a “max effort” as used in HIT programs. I feel I can get away with it because I am not actually “failing” and do not repeat a specific exercise within a rep range so my muscles are being hit with slight variations in emphasis each workout. Many will disagree with this but I find it works pretty good for me.</div>
I had my first day of 5s today and did...

set1: 5 reps
set2: (dropset) drop ~10lbs
set3: (dropset) drop ~ another 10lbs

it gave me a better pump, saved time and i feel better overall. i am going to use this for the remaind of my 5s. thanks for the tip.

as for effort. i have been thinking about not going so close to failure. i injured my shoulder last december, which i am only recovering from now. it is hard to discuss effort, as it is relative. so a couple questions if you will...

-when you say 1 rep less than failure w/ proper form. do you mean perfect form, as in no change from the 1st rep?

-have you noticed this produces the same results? better? or slightly worse, but with better joints?

-are your drop sets 1 set shy of failure on the last day of the mini-cycle, or everyday?

-how much do you drop for drop sets?

Yup, strict perfect form with no compromise of tempo. The last rep should be as perfect and with the same tempo as the first rep (unless I need to adjust tempo as discussed below). In your case, exercises that impinge your shoulder should have their own definition of failure to take the injury into account. Do NOT work through muscle or joint pain. DOMS, yes. Muscle injury pain, never. Your failure point should be one rep short of where you would feel the effect of the injury.
rock.gif

This gives me and anyone, in my opinion, better results than sloppy form, cheating, straining, speeding up tempo, etc. with much, much less chance of injury to joints or muscles.
wink.gif

ALL sets and drop sets are at weights set to within 1 rep of failure.
tounge.gif

I don't have a formula for estimating weights for the drop sets. Experience tells me enough to get me close. If I find that the weight is too light, I slow down the tempo to bring me within that 1 rep of failure. If the weight is too heavy, I still go to within 1 rep of failure although it may means only 3 or 4 reps and note on my workout schedule for the next cycle what weight I should use to get closer to the ideal weight. I typically will underestimate a weight and rarely overestimate a weight. I don't want injuries!
sad.gif

thanks for the input OG. i think ill try lighter weights, slower tempos, and less injuries ;)

just out of curiousity...what are your current measurements?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This gives me and anyone, in my opinion, better results than sloppy form, cheating, straining, speeding up tempo, etc. with much, much less chance of injury to joints or muscles.
</div>

Can't argue with that!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I typically will underestimate a weight and rarely overestimate a weight. I don't want injuries!</div>

Can't argue with that, too.
biggrin.gif
Anybody who has experienced some sort of injury knows that whatever you're trying to do, it's just not worth it if it involves an injury risk. Stay safe, guys.

JW, measurements are:

Height 5'8&quot; (Down from almost 5'10&quot; due to back surgery and aging)

Weight 185
Bodyfat 9%
Chest 48 1/2&quot; Neck 16 3/4 &quot;
Arms 16 3/4&quot;
Thigh 25&quot;
Calf 16 1/2 &quot;
Waist 32&quot;

I could theoretically get a lot bigger and probably copuld easily 205 pounds but I don't want to play a soldier on the Sopranos. I just want to look and feel good and be healthy. I personally prefer the atheletic look of the 50's to the hardcore bodybuilder look of today's giants. I have had my arms close to 17 1/2&quot; but, quite frankly, I thought I looked ridiculous.

Once again, <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">don't want to play a soldier on the Sopranos. I just want to look and feel good and be healthy. I personally prefer the atheletic look of the 50's to the hardcore bodybuilder look of today's giants.</div>

Those goons sure look ugly!
laugh.gif

at the moment i am doing an a and b routine only doing weights twice a week.
i use the same weight 4 times giving me a 16 week cycle.
if i can increase the weight on each 4wk cycle i will do.
for instance if i am doing 15s squats with 100k and after the second workout it feels light i will up the weight,if not i will just up it when i get to the 10s.
i stay close to faliure but dont go to faliure exept on the last 2wks.
o&amp;g that red writing is giving me hypertrophy in my eyes
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back