HST NEWBIE - HELP & GUIDANCE PLS

<div>
(Ruben_pereira @ Apr. 18 2008,2:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i.e first week of the 15's for the two sets i tried lifting 75KG for 15 reps X 2 on the deadlift, in the second week i had to drop the weight because it was getting too much for me, the weight on my wrists started to stress me out.</div>
High reps deads are tough, no doubt about it, but you will find that your body acclimatises to the stress over time. Better to do one set of 15 and then cluster any extra reps to reach your required total than to drop the load. I would guess that if you are finding a second set of 15 too hard at the start of 15s that you may have set your loads a bit high. By the time you hit your 15RM workout it really won't be possible to do two full sets for deads unless you are made of different stuff to most folks.
smile.gif

I am with lol here

Just wondering why are you doing 2 sets for 15's? One set is enough specially for deads, remember that 15's are basically to acclimatize your body to bigger weuights later.

We normally recommend:

15 - 1 set / 10 - 2 sets or even 1 1/2 sets / 5 - 3 sets, keeps teh violume constant 15 rep right through, obviously when you get to 5's the loads are heavy enough to keep you contented!
biggrin.gif

yes i apologise guys, as i said before,

when i was researching the bodybuilding.com HST section it had a selection of excercises that we should perform 2 sets of, no matter the rep week.

Im glad im getting advice from people that know what their talking about
biggrin.gif

(meaning you guys)

It's up to you and your conditioning. Ever since I stopped doing 13 exersizes and simplified, I've done 2 sets of 15's, 2-3 sets of 10's, and 3-5 sets of 5's depending on the exersize . There's more left in the tank if you're not spending a whole afternoon in the gym, right?

Ruben

My opinion? Stick with guidelines for the first few cycles, then you can start doing what Quad suggests, but listen to what he says, only for certain exercises, and depending on the gas left in the tank.
wink.gif

Thanks guys,

Thanks Fausto, this new upcoming week of the 10 rep cycle, I will be doing what you have suggested.

so just to recap, 3 times a week for 2 weeks, 10 reps max for the compound lifts, no Iso's, 2 sets for each comp lift, and alternate the excercise every other day in specific excercises

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">so just to recap, 3 times a week for 2 weeks, 10 reps max for the compound lifts, no Iso's, 2 sets for each comp lift, and alternate the excercise every other day in specific excercises </div>

Yep, 10 rep max is only done on the last training day of the 2 weeks, all the others will be submax.

Isos - if you really want to do them, just do one superset or something for what you deem as lagging muscles, otherwise yes, skip them altogether!

Alternate is correct, you up and running! Now...just enjoy!

ok guys, today i started the 10's on the first cycle

This is exactly how i went about it, i set up my program as follows

Tuesday                    Thursday           saturday (same as tuesday)

Squats                          Deadlifts
Bench                            Dips
Pullups                          Rows
Shoulder press              Shoulder press

What do you guys think?

I feel alright with doing less excercises, but i dont feel that worn out feeling, which i like sometimes.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> ok guys, today i started the 10's on the first cycle

This is exactly how i went about it, i set up my program as follows

Tuesday Thursday saturday (same as tuesday)

Squats Deadlifts
Bench Dips
Pullups Rows
Shoulder press Shoulder press

What do you guys think?

I feel alright with doing less excercises, but i dont feel that worn out feeling, which i like sometimes.
</div>

It looks like the setup of a 5x5 programme. How many sets are you doing of each exercise for each minicycle? Same as quadancer?

The only problem I have with your current routine is that there is no work for hamstrings and if you just do squats and develop your quads &amp; glutes you're gonna get muscle imbalances which can potentially injure you.
Secondly, you are doing 2 upper body pushing exercises and 1 upper body pulling exercise again this can lead to imbalances in the shoulder joint due to the internal rotators become much stronger than back muscles.

To correct this I suggest you add something for your hammies like GMs or SLDLs or even leg curls for simplicity and incude a second upper body pulling movement.

Finally, to addres your last point, the purpose of HST is not to get worn down in fact thats what youre meant to try and avoid.

Everybody recommended me to do the SIMPLIFY AND WIN approach to my routine, including fausto. hopefully he will come online and check this and he and everyone else can confirm if this is the right way

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Everybody recommended me to do the SIMPLIFY AND WIN approach to my routine, including Fausto. hopefully he will come online and check this and he and everyone else can confirm if this is the right way </div>

And..here I am, I think your routine is fine, if you really have a concern with the push pull stuff, which I don't, just equalize the pull volume to the push, (in term of overall reps, not per exercise) and you would've corrected that so called imbalance.

Volume wise, 2 x 10 is the right way, unless you're a perfectionist and wish to do exact volume throughout the cycle, in which case you'd do 1 x 15, 1 1/2 x 10 and 3 x 5, but that is not necessary.

Many of us opt to go into the 5 x 5 stuff into the negatives territory, its just a little different and it has a higher volume, but it helps push the cycle length into 10 maybe 12 weeks.

I agree that HST is about avoiding too much wear and tear, SD is the way to get this right, pushing the envelope within reason is acceptable, provided you have done your progression right and started with 15's.
wink.gif

Back