Hst Newbie Routine

eddy1983

Hi,

I've just finished 1 cycle of HST and I'm just starting my 1 week of strategic deconditioning. I'm thinking of going with the following routine for the next cycle:

Split A:

Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Bench Press
Lat pulldown
Seated row
Barbell upright row
Barbell curls
CG bench press

Split B:

Deadlift
GHR
Military Press
Bent over row
Barbell shrug
Swiss bar curl
JM Press
Incline Barbell Bench

I'm aware that there's no dumbell/cable work here but I've found with my last cycle, either I run out of weights or the increments are too much(dumbells go up to 60 kgs with 5 kg jumps). Also, with lateral/rear raises and other shoulder exercises, I don't get too much benefit from the 5's. I'm from a powerlifting background and I have the following maxes:

Squat: 245 kgs (w/wraps)
Bench: 160 kgs (paused)
Deadlift: 265 kgs

I'm keen to hear any thoughts on my routine. I'm really liking the whole HST concept.

Cheers,

Ed

Routine is a good one IMO not sure if you need the direct arm work as they should be more than covered with your compound exercises. Is this 3 days a week or more? Will it be 1 x 15, 2 x 10, 3 x 5?

Thanks for the feedback mick. It's 3 days a week, 2x15, 2x10 and 2x5 (It's stated that anything beyond 2 sets doesn't do much hypertrophy wise).

I also do 2 sets in every rep range but 6 days a week with less exercises per day

Last edited:
For someone at your levels, I'd probably add Front Squats onto Split B (or even just squats on all workouts).

Back