HST Routine #3

My lower back is sore today...not really in a good way (not horrible either). Could it be something I did wrong with the ATG Squats? It's the only thing I changed??

Most likely the back isn't used to the strain at those angles. Stay at the light weight, try them every other day and it should clear up after a few workouts. If it gets worse though, you'll want to check that out.

Happy Birthday Soflsun! Have a SUPER day!
cool.gif

Thanks Guys...much appreciated!

4/14/08

First day of 10's...

BB Bench 165 lbs 1x10,1x9,1x9
Assisted Pullups 10th Plate 2x15 (it was my last goal for 15's)
DB Curls (standing) 60 lbs 3x10
DB Tricep Extensions (one-arm behind the neck) 60 lbs 1x10,1x7

*Weights for DB's are combined*

Good workout!  Legs quite sore still from full squats a couple of days ago...just received Starting Strength from Amazon, so I hope to be improving my form on all barbell lifts.  I think the jump from 145 to 165 in bench was a bit steep considering how long my layoff was, so it was too much to complete 3x10, but felt good nonetheless.

Does anyone else do 3x10, or is everone basically doing 2x10?  I wanted to keep the reps constant from the 15's in which I did 2 sets, but it may be too much.  I'd like to shoot for 24 reps throughout the coming 6's (4x6) and 3's (8x3), so should I aim for 2x10 AND 1x5 during the 10's to keep it constant?  I need some help here.  Thanks.

4/16/08

Deads 205 lbs 2x10,1x7/Seated DB Shoulder Press 90 lbs 3x10
Incline DB Curls 60 lbs 1x10,2x9/Calf Raise (Leg Press Machine) 1 leg 90 lbs 3x10
Shrugs (Seated) 200 lbs 3x10

Deads felt heavyish and grip was failing toward the end of 3rd set.  Should I drop volume down to 2x10 on all exercises?  Will that still be enough volume with only 1 exercise per muscle group?  Help!

If it starts getting too hard, try dropping the reps down to something like 10, 8, 6 for a total of 24 reps.

Check this link for my thoughts on rep variation over a cycle:
Lol's log, 1st post

It's a way to manage fatigue which should help in hitting some new PRs at the end of the cycle.

After experimenting with that set-up I now think that it is probably beneficial to do more work during 5s and 3s if your conditioning allows you to do so.

If the loads don't increment much above your 5RMs in weeks 7 onwards and you aren't feeling too fatigued at this point, I would now try for at least 5 sets of 3 reps and then reduce down to 3 x 3 or something similar.

Hello to everyone.  I'm new to these forums  Been bodybuilding, personally, not for competition, for 23 years.  I have just recently discovered this HST method and found very interesting.  I like to keep myself open to new ideas in the name of progress.  

At the moment I'm about to start my 5RMs this coming Monday.  In reading about who prefers squats over deads, I like to mention I incorporate both into my routine.  I do 1 set of squats and 2 sets of deads at the very beginning of my routine.  I seem to recover well.  I was wondering on 2 sets of squats and 2 deads or 2 squats and 1 dead.

Any one have any experience with squats and deads on the same days?  By the way, I'm doing full body Mon. Wed. Fri.

Thanks Lol!  I like your rep progrssion ideas.  10,8,6 will be a very nice segway into the 5's, as the weight becomes too tough for 3x10 or 2.5x10.  Good stuff!

Immortal, your first post will go down in history as part of my training log.  I hope you become famous or something
smile.gif
 You'll probably get more of a response in your own thread though.  I do not do deads and squats on the same day.

4/18/08

BB Bench 175 lbs/ Pendlay Rows 135 lbs 3x10
Incline DB Curls 60 lbs 1x10,1x8,1x6
Skullz 60 lbs 1x15,2x10

I'm really loving the info in Starting Strength.  I've been practicing the motion of full squats and it seems that I have a tight groin and pretty inflexible hams, which limits the depth and comfortability of my descent.  I'm streching things out and looking forward to my next legs workout.  My form on bench was already pretty good, so not much to change there.  That's all I've read so far...next deads!!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Incline DB Curls 60 lbs 1x10,1x8,1x6</div> Wow, Sof, you're all biceps, aren't you?

Squats/deads together: I recall others and myself posting that we do that up until we can't; usually the fives. Once the weights get big, it's just too brutal, as these are whole body exersizes. I tend to think my dead max even requires my HAIR to flex.
These days I just prefer to alternate them, but I'm also doing mostly 5's for cutting. I'll probably hit both in the next 15's and play it by ear after that.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 19 2008,9:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Incline DB Curls 60 lbs 1x10,1x8,1x6</div> Wow, Sof, you're all biceps, aren't you?</div>
No, not at all acually...all my DB weights are combined weights.  So that just 30 lb DB's.  So actually, they are weak relative to the rest of my body.
sad.gif

Soflson, my apology for posting the comment in your training thread. New to this. Nevertheless, I do hope to achieve fame by doing so,
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for the endorsement and well wishes. *Waves to everyone*.

laugh.gif

4/20/08

Squats 135 lbs 1x10, 155 lbs 2x10/Seated DB Shoulder Press 100 lbs 3x10
Incline DB Curls 60 lbs/Calf Raise (single leg) 140 lbs 3x10
Shrugs 200 lbs 3x10

I had some major issues with Ripptoe's instructions regarding the squat.

Everything was okay EXCEPT the hand, bar, elbow, wrist placement and relationship.  Below that, eberything was okay...unfortunately, I was in so much discomfort/pain from the above, I couldn't even concentrate on the squat itself.

1.  He wants the hands to be closer rather than farther apart on the bar so more of a &quot;cushion&quot; is produced when squeezing the shoulders.  He does mention that this will take some people extra time to build up the shoulder flexibility to accomplish this.  Well, my hands were quite wide and my shoulders were hurting!!  Isn't this impingement??
2.  He wants the elbows back behind the bar, so they are out of the equation in terms of bearing the load.  This was not only painful for my shoulders, but my wrists were f*ing killing me in that position...trying to keep them on top of the bar and all so they weren't bent.
3.  The bar placement feels way too low and unnatural when upright.  It feels okay when you are at the bottom, but at the top it feels like its going to slide off my back.  I felt like my wrists were taking a hell of a lot more abuse in this position trying to keep the bar from rolling down my spine!!  Especially when trying to keep my chest up and back tight at the top, the only thing holding that bar in place was my poor wrists.

I literally COULD not focus on anything but my shoulders, wrists, and the bar during the sets.  I'll be lucky if I didn't end of damaging something, as my shoulders and wrists are already prone to injury.  I need some advice please!!

I feel your pain. It's not impingement: when you can't raise your elbow higher than your shoulder, it's impingement. But I also have your inflexibility, and it takes a long time to work it out. I just got a neat Draper article for helping just that, and it's an easy trick: http://www.davedraper.com/url/thoracic-mobility.php
I've found that squats only work for me having the bar feel just like you had it: nearly sliding off the back, but since I use a manta ray for my sensitive traps, it helps hold it there. Bar sits high and I tend to fall forward in the hole.
You literally could wrap your wrists for squats, just loose enough to leave blood in the hands. I do one of mine for bench and I think I'll try it for squats since you got me to thinking. Hm. Gotta get those elbows back too.

Yeah...it's really a bitch of a position. I was surprised that the squat motion was actually the easy part, granted with light weight but still. I tried that stretch and definitley need to loosen up, especially on the right side.

Sci, how do you recommend stretching the internal rotators? Thanks guys.

The squat itself is a great stretch. Just take it easy at first.

With your hand placement, go as wide as you need to so that your wrists are straight. If they are bent, they will take some of the load, which equals pain. Make sure you are really engaging your shoulders so that the load is on your back only. For some people, thining of raising the elbows makes the problem worse. Instead of thinking of raising the elbows, maybe try thinking of squeezing the shoulders with a slight shrug of the traps and bring your elbows a little IN instead of UP.

Just hold the position with only the bar on non-workout days. That alone will be an excellent stretch.

Hey Soflsun, I tried squatting that way too last week! Uncomfortable as hell. Felt like it was rolling of my back, pinching my shoulders. Worked ok with light weight, but heavy was just too much. I'm back to a little higher on my traps with a wider grip.

I'm glad at least I'm probably doing something right if you guys are having issues with it as well. Today, I just stretched with the bar at the end of my workout in the proper position. After some experimentation, its really the hands on top of the bar (without thumb gripping) that really makes the position uncomfortable. Even out quite wide, and the bar slightly higher, as soon as my hands go over the bar my hands start to go numb. Is that just extreme inflexibility?? I'm kind of bummed about it.

Back