Hst Routine Frequency

james clarke

I can only get to the gym 4 days a week as I work away from home Mon - Thu. I am thinking to do a split

Mon and wed : chest, tri, back, bi's, Abs

Tues and Thu : Shoulders, Traps, Legs, Abs

my main concern is that I would then not be able to train again until Monday will this still be effective?

was thinking of doing 15 x 1 , 10 x 2, 5 x 3 on the reps.

Mon/ Weds : Bench Press, Incline Bench, dumbell pull over, dumbell fly's, DB tri Ext., over head rope ext., Single arm row, Lat row, WG lat pull down, CG Lat pull down, Bar bell row, Preacher curls, WG Seated Row, Weighted crunches (Machine)

Tue/ Thurs : Shoulder press, Behind neck shoulder press, DB side lat raise, plate front raise, upright row, DB Shrugs, standing calf raise, Leg Press, GHR, leg ext. , Squats, weighted crunches (machine)

The main issue I see is your front delts are going to take a hammering what with flat bench and incline bench on Mon & Wed and then with shoulder press and plate front raises on Tue and Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So for the 5;s, you are going to do a total of 42 sets on M and W and 36 sets on T and Th. That is 156 sets per week. That is a routine for a professional on heavy steroids who has hours to train.

If you are lifting several days in a row, it is important to manage volume. I have been lifting 4-5 days a week every week for months now and I only do 20-30 reps per muscle group each workout, except back which gets 40-60. That's only a few sets per muscle group each workout, and that's probably still a little on the higher side for volume.
If I were going to do a split, I would just do upper/lower and lift all four days, that way each half of the body gets a day off between workouts. You could alternate between two different uppers and lowers if you wanted.

Something a little more sane would be:

Day 1 - Upper
Bench (flat or incline, just one)
Row or Rack Pulls
Pulldown or weighted pullups/chinups
Military Press or some other shoulder press
Close grip bench or similar for triceps
Abs if you must

Day 2 - Lower
Squats for quads
SLDL/RDL or some other variant
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Curls or similar for biceps
Abs if you must

Day 3 - Upper
Weights Dips or Bench (flat or incline, whichever one you didn't do on day 1)
Row variant or Rack Pulls - whichever one you didn't do on day 1
Pullover or similar
Shoulder press variant or Lateral Raises
Triceps - something with a DB or pushdowns
Abs if you must

Day 4 - Lower
Leg Press
GHR or SLDL/RDL or some other variant
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Curls or similar for biceps
Abs if you must

Aim for 20-30 reps for each lift, tapering down as the weights get heavier. If you are into sets and don't like the freedom of clustering reps, then do 2 sets in the 15s, 2 sets in the 10s, 3 or 4 sets in the 5s. However, with higher frequency, you should really look into clustering instead of using sets regulating volume on a daily basis depending on how you feel - i.e. on days you feel good you would do closer to 30 reps total per lift, on days you are fatigued you would do closer to 20 reps total for each lift.

Something I have experimented with my recent routines and cycles is working out the standard 3 days a week ( with the 20-30 reps that Totentanz mentioned ) and then with the last 1-2 weeks before the week off, I will up both the volume and frequency with the last week being insane.

Back