HST weight problem

rzieba

I'm on my first HST cycle and today was my third workout for my 15 rep 2 week block. The first two workouts were great, but on the third the problem was that I couldn't get to 15 reps on a few exercises. I got about 12. Is this a big problem? My max for 15 reps on those exercises was more weight than I did today when I tested my maxes, but for some reason I couldn't get up to 15. Maybe I'm not used to this frequency even though the volume is lower. My body must have still been fatigued from working out on Wednesday. What should I do? Does this go against the program if I failed to hit 15 reps? Or will I still see good gains because of the workout frequency? Thanks.

Don't fret if you couldn't pound out a couple reps to fill your set - even if it isn't your max. Quite possibly your body was fatigued for other reasons - not enough carbs, rest time, sick, etc...

It doesn't go against the program if you don't hit the 15 reps. If it bothers you that much, then after you are done with thoese 10-13 reps or however many you pumped out - take a 1 minute rest. Then start up again and do those extra reps. This is something called clusteing

Even if you do not do this, you will see good gains. And most importantly - don't lift to failure. In the 15's, or in that matter - all the microcycles - lift till you have a good burning sensation in your muscles - this is usually 1 or 2 reps before failure.

Well it looks like I over-answered your question, hope you have great gains!
thumbs-up.gif

-Colby

Thanks for the help. I was concerned that this went against the program if I didn't hit 15 on each set. This happened to me on my back and shoulder exercises. I do these last. I have no problem with chest, legs, bis, or tris so maybe I'll do back and shoulders first from now on.

Back off on the weight and maybe instead of trying to go up 5 lb’s every workout
Do the same weight every two workouts then add 5.
For example
On your workout sessions 1 & 2 do 50 lb’s
On 3 and 4 do 55 lb’s
On 5 and 6 do 60 lb’s
Ect….ect …
Until you are able to do it in progressive weight loads of 5lb’d or what every.
Or most likely you have not really found your 15RM 10Rm 5RM.
Thanks
Sonny

Back