HST with a twist

ForLife

Hi guys and gals, iv skimed through the site and looked into things and have came up with a new program that involves more freaqency except im doing a little more volume to the sample program. Its also a twist to the old style of training minus the huge volume. Im doing-

Chest,delts, tris
Back,bis, Legs

3 times a week with one days rest

For workout 1 im doing

2 x Incline bb press
2 x flat cybex machine press (as a change, I like it)
2-3 x Milatery press
1 x Laterals
2 x Rear delts (specific to me seeing I need way more rear delt development)
3 x Scull crushers or press downs

What do you think, I thinks its good and is going well. Does need some tweeking. For example im going to try out 3 sets on the milatery press.

Im leaning toward volume training but thanks to this site and some realisation that even after say 8 pressing sets on the chest you dont need a whole week to recover from it. Therefore I chose to split it into 3 seperate workouts. Im loving it, it keeps me hungry to do more and so far so good.

Thoughts?

My first thought was to do one set of 12, then the second set of 6. Then there is a change of exercise.

Still have to find my weights so maybe ill do first set 10-12 and second set 6-8.

My thinking towards theres rep ranges are im staying in the bodybuilding rep range.

Another thought is to have a light moderate and heavy day but this ones a bit more tricky to get right.

no such thing as the bbng rep range.
and if your doing light,heavy,moderate,days thats going to be a little more difficult to work out .and unless you progress weights over the cycle then its not technically HST
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

ForLife

I'd still agree with using different rep ranges throughout the week but not on the same day, that is pyramid training and although it is not HST, there's nothing wrong with it!

Use the 15/10/5 range and see the benefits, that is what I'd recommend.
wink.gif

Nothing wrong with it.

Just don't be upset if it doesn't work.

Its not HST...but it does follow some principals.

The thing is some people now a days come to this forum read up and start there first HST program...and its so damn bent and twisted that its not even close to HST.

No offense to you
biggrin.gif

Im just saying that I always find it funny that people want to tweak HST from the very beginning?
rock.gif
??

Which to me does not make sense.

I have always followed HST by the guidelines and even I have messed it up a couple of times? By doing too much or not lifting heavy enough.

So my recommendation is if you truely want to do HST....do HST....but if not thats cool too.

But you want know what works the best for you IMO until you run 2 cycles of the vanilla routine.

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

I currently do 15, 12, 8 and 5 reps. The difference is I do them each week. It keeps the boredom level down seems to work better for me than 2 weeks of 15's, etc.

I never go more than 6 weeks. In fact, many times I will do 3 or 4 week cycles. However, I usually start at about 80% of my rep max and add about 5% per week. I also "rep out" all sets so my intensity is greater than the typical HST workout so I need a more frequent SD. I do not perform negatives as the risk of injury is too high, especially when you train alone.  
cool.gif

<div>
(faz @ Jan. 30 2007,05:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
There is such thing as bodybuilding rep ranges but that probably a thread of its own. I know what your trying to say but ill leave it at that.

As far as weight progression goes iv already noticed so strength gain and have incresed my weights and reps.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 30 2007,07:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nothing wrong with it.

Just don't be upset if it doesn't work.

Its not HST...but it does follow some principals.

The thing is some people now a days come to this forum read up and start there first HST program...and its so damn bent and twisted that its not even close to HST.

No offense to you
biggrin.gif

Im just saying that I always find it funny that people want to tweak HST from the very beginning?
rock.gif
??

Which to me does not make sense.

I have always followed HST by the guidelines and even I have messed it up a couple of times? By doing too much or not lifting heavy enough.

So my recommendation is if you truely want to do HST....do HST....but if not thats cool too.

But you want know what works the best for you IMO until you run 2 cycles of the vanilla routine.

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif
</div>
Im not really doing HST im only taking a few principles from it. This is kind of my theory by weighing a few things up. Dont get me wrong I might not be doing whats optimal.
As far as HST goes I cant find a routine to follow ??

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Feb. 01 2007,06:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You aint been lookin', then...
laugh.gif
</div>
word !!!

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 01 2007,07:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(the_dark_master @ Feb. 01 2007,06:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You aint been lookin', then...
laugh.gif
</div>
word !!!</div>
Must be on the wrong site!
ghostface.gif

<div>
(ForLife @ Feb. 01 2007,05:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There is such thing as bodybuilding rep ranges but that probably a thread of its own.</div>
Yes I think you will need a thread to explain something that contradicts everything that we know here, and everything that the research tells us is true.

But hey, if you read it on bodybuilding.com, it must be true right?

Read up on max-stim, its basically pick the weight up, do a rep, put it down, rest for about 5-10secs, pick it up again, do a rep, repeat for 20 reps. That's basically 20x1 reps.

There's no such thing as a body building rep range, just enough load and volume to stimulate protein synthesis.

I would be very careful about coming onto a site as a newbie and telling people what's what, if you contradict what people believe and you have no scietific research-base evidence to back it up on this site, you'll lose respect and people won't take you seriously.

I repeat: this is not your typical BBing forum.

Hi ForLife: skimming through info here will mean that you may well miss a lot of the more important bits of info gleaned from a lot of the research being done around the globe into the mechanisms for hypertrophy. Have a careful read through the FAQs and you should see why Peak said what he did.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I repeat: this is not your typical BBing forum. </div>

A Very True Statement Indeed!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(ForLife @ Feb. 01 2007,10:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There is such thing as bodybuilding rep ranges but that probably a thread of its own. I know what your trying to say but ill leave it at that.

As far as weight progression goes iv already noticed so strength gain and have incresed my weights and reps.</div>
Keep in mind that you have to consider the tensile strength of the tissue itself. Lifting weights to induce hypertrophy is a very much a mechanical process. You are causing physical stress to the protein structures of the muscle tissue. A given amount of load is going to be required regardless of the number of repetitions, to induce hypertrophy.

So, please try to think outside of reps and sets. The purpose of every workout is simply to apply an effective stimulus by providing an incremental increase in tension from the last workout. Just arbitrarily picking a certain number of workouts before you change isn’t going to ensure you are applying an effective stimulus. That’s more akin to periodization, rather than hypertrophy-specific progressions.

Muscle tissue does not distinguish between rep ranges. There is not a special number of contractions that &quot;triggers&quot; a hypertrophic response. The only thing that triggers hypertrophy is sarcolemma distortion and subsequent microtrauma and to a MUCH lesser extent, metabolic activity. Metabolic activity is more anticatabolic, then anabolic. These pathways of mechanotransduction have been mapped and are not in question. Yes, there are always more details to be ironed out, but the pathways are now established that go from mechanical load to muscle cell growth.

In order to adhere to the principles of training induced muscle hypertrophy we must have progressive load. Progressive load sufficient to cause hypertrophy will limit the number of times the muscle can successfully contract against the resistance. There are several old studies that narrowed it down to a range of perhaps 20 reps (if the muscle is deconditioned) all the way up to 120% of your 1RM. So, depending on how conditioned the muscle is, you can use any rep range between 20 reps and negatives

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Metabolic activity is more anticatabolic, than anabolic.</div>
Hmmm...I never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense! Good call!

Sort of like your anti-E's as opposed to hormone intake itself.

Back