hydrolized protein

semajes

I was under the impression that hydrolized protein was just another name for gelatin. Is this not true?

It can be true. Although any protein can be hydrolyzed, having its peptide chains broken into simpler forms, I would expect a product to specify the source unless there's some reason to be vague.

When I see "hydrolyzed protein" on a label, I assume it's from a low-quality source such as gelatin or collagen. If the protein was from a high quality source such as whey, surely the producer would want to emphasize the source.

When there's so much specific information on labels, I can see only one reason to be vague about a major component such as protein--to conceal information that the producer doesn't want to reveal.

The lable says "hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate". So, this isn't the same as (as worthless as) gelatin?

No, its hydrolyzed whey protein, if it was hydrolyzed collagen then it would be different.

Be wary of the product that doesnt specify what they have lysed to get the protien, as it will generally be collagen.

Back