Hypertrophy and inflammation

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You may feel the urge to take an Aleve or Ibuprofen tablet after an intense workout to reduce muscle soreness or you may suffer from a chronic knee or elbow injury from years of heavy lifting but only take NSAIDS when absolutely necessary. According to a new study in Medicine &amp; Science in Sports &amp; Exercise, taking ibuprofen can inhibit muscle hypertrophy.</div>

First off, no worries for me as I don't advise taking pain killers unless you are sick or injured. (Pregnant too - I am no Tom Cruise here!)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You may feel the urge to take an Aleve or Ibuprofen tablet after an intense workout to reduce muscle soreness or you may suffer from a chronic knee or elbow injury from years of heavy lifting but only take NSAIDS when absolutely necessary. According to a new study in Medicine &amp; Science in Sports &amp; Exercise, taking ibuprofen can inhibit muscle hypertrophy.</div>

Well, pain relievers do inhibit your nervous system..

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In conclusion, don’t take any NSAIDS unless it’s absolutely necessary for alleviating pain. NSAIDS reduce muscle protein synthesis and inhibit muscle hypertrophy. Muscle inflammation and repair is an essential part of hypertrophy process, and although you may be sore as hell, the benefits you will reap from the pain are bigger and stronger muscles.</div>

If someone needs to take a painkiller after a workout, then they are doing something wrong. If they have some old knee injury that hurts every time they do squats, then they need to reconsider how they do that exercise. If someone has severe pain after a workout, then they either are working too hard or not having good posture.

Just my two cents..

See this thread were this topic came up recently:
Ibuprofen and Catabolism

The specific mechanism by which NSAIDS affect muscle growth is inhibition of  prostaglandin synthesis.  The extent to which some other anti-inflammatory would affect muscle growth would likely depend upon whether it also inhibits protaglandin.  High levels of Omega-3 do appear to have some effect (Dietary omega 3 fatty acid alters prostaglandin synthesis), but I would have to do more research to determine if this holds any practical implications for human muscle growth.  Note that the rats in the study were supposedly fed a high-fat diet and who knows what the purposeful induction of diabetes meant for the results.  Maybe Dan has some info on this.

HDD, long time no see brother.

I don't have anymore info than what was already presented because I don't care enough about it to look. In the grand scheme of things I have to wonder what overall effect the occasional NSAID might have, not much I would presume.

Hey Dan long time no see indeed
smile.gif
. I come here and on your site from time to time however to read a bit. Always something interesting to learn for sure..

Thanks for you guys input!
smile.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 06 2007,06:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't have anymore info than what was already presented because I don't care enough about it to look. In the grand scheme of things I have to wonder what overall effect the occasional NSAID might have, not much I would presume.</div>
Though I try to avoid NSAIDs directly before and after training, I would have to second what Dan said. The occasional use will have little if any lasting effect on muscle growth.

Bad news for me!?

I take Diclofenac daily for an inflamed and painful heel. I have taken this for months and prior to this ibuprofen for about 5 years. Since gyming and having foot insoles the pain has disappeared.

As a result of this article I will cut back on the drug and hopefully be fit to take it alternate days or less.

If the pain perists will Diclofenac really effect my ability to gain muscle - as much as the mice 50% reduction?

This may explain why I have gained little mass! And may mean that less Diclofenac will result in more muscle!

How much of these nsaids is it reasonable to take without effecting muscle growth?

Has anyone experienced impressive growth as a result of coming off nsaids?

I would be very interested in your opinions...

The reason why you have gained little mass could be diet too. If you haven't gained mass and haven't gained much weight, then it's diet. If you are gaining weight, but are not getting stronger and you are getting fatter, then I'd be worried.
Regardless, I wouldn't take the pain killers unless you really need to. Daily usage is bad for you anyway. Have you had your liver enzymes checked lately? Chronic usage of painkillers is not good for the liver.

I've gained over 2 and a half stone in about three years. I've been training religiously for a year, before that I've had breaks in training. Strength gains have been slow but friends comment how I look bigger and I can see the difference too! ... but you are correct I've not nailed my diet! Although I alway eat lots of carbs to compensate for lots of protein as my kidney can ache a bit if there is too much protein.

I've only got one kidney - so i'm more worried about that than my liver. When you're in the habit of taking something every day you don't think to stop (tho in the past i've forgotten my medication and and it takes a couple o days to get back to being pain free [heel pain not kidney!])

Tho I'm still wandering if painkillers have really resulted in reduced muscle growth...

Back