I need a LOt of HELP

Welcome KRJ
Congratulations on a fantastic job of loosing all that weight and also getting to such a low bodyfat %. You've done what most people fail at, made a plan and followed it despite it being hard. You still seem to be worried that you will end up fat again, I don't think you need to as you have shown the discipline needed to loose all that weight. You are now a different person!

It sounds to me as if you are planning on staying on your ketogenic diet for good. You don't need to, you've lost the weight now you can switch to just eating healthly, so long as you only consume as many calories as you burn you won't put on weight. Besides from what I've read you should not use ketogenic diets for very extended periods, they can have serious health effects long-term (if you are diabetic they can even cause death). OK I'm no expert in this area, have you looked at Lyles bodyrecomposition.com website?

It's very hard to be sure over the net but my guess is your weakness is your body trying to tell you it's had enough. Set a new goal of adding a few pounds of muscle or increased strength eg 10 push ups. Eat a well balanced high protein diet that incls fat & CARBS, one suited to building muscle. Accept that you will need to increase your % body fat while you do that. You can have a cycle for adding muscle/strength for say 6-8wks (like HST) then instead of SD you could do a few weeks of cardio & diet to loose weight, sure you will loose some muscle as well but muscle is not your main objective. Any type of resistance type workouts should improve your strength at this stage. A very cheap way to add a little extra weight is to just fill old coke bottles etc. with water and strap them to a belt or put into a backpack. 1ltr = 1kg (2.2lbs)

The main thing is to set yourself a new target of adding strength/muscle, it will keep you motivated. You will not get fat the moment you stop your dietprovided you keep your calories down to a suitable level

Ok. I need You to understand one thing. Right now, I’m having a really though time, especially mentally and psychologically exhausting, because after what you’ve all said and what I’ve read in a last few days made me realize that I’ve made some really REALLY BIG mistakes in my diet and ‘training’ . But I still find it very hard to make a great change especially from one day to another – It’s been too long and I’ve managed to adjust myself to the way I’m living and dieting right now – You know, my Keto diet lasts almost a year now. So I really need You to understand what I’m going through right now, bare with me and help me as much as you can – because I’ve realized I need a serious help and advice. The reason I’m saying all that is that I want you to know how hard it’s for me to make a significant change in what I do right now. I’d rather starve myself to death that going back to being fat /by any measures/. I’m /I’d like to think I was/ basically someone who lives and dies by the scale – till now – I’m changing that. But enough of this stupid moaning. I’d appreciate if You follow my thought process and doubts. And then comment on them.

You’ve said that I’ve managed to lose a lot of fat but what I’ve realized is that along with that fat I’ve lost a LOT of muscles and thus became weaker. I was on a Keto diet that included only about a 30 grams of carbs a day – for almost over a year – and I think that it worked to my great detriment. Though I have to say that mentally I feel a lot better on a high protein/high fat diet – with little or near to no carbs – but like I’ve said – now I know that this ‘near to no carbs’ led me to failure.

Nevertheless here’s what I’m going to do /want to do/.

I eat 3 meals a day --- here I need to explain that I’ve tested a few approaches with 5, 4 and 3 meals a day and I found a 3 meal schedule the most suitable to my needs and to what I do in a day – I don’t feel hungry and I feel overfed/stuffed/full if you know what I mean

Like I’ve said – mentally I feel a lot lot better on a high protein/high fat – no or near to no carbs – meals --- and I need to be mentally focused all day – my work requires that – so this Is what I need to take into account when putting it together.

Now, getting to the point.

Diet and training plan /step by step during the day/:
- Wake-up
- Training
- 8.00 - Breakfast ---- high protein/high fat ---- no carbs/or close to no carbs/
- WORK
- 13.00 - Dinner ---- high protein/high fat ---- no carbs/or close to no carbs/
- WORK
- Training
- 20.00 - Supper ---- high protein/high carbs ---- no fat/or close to no fat/

-------------- BTW:
- WHY IS IT RECOMMENDED THAT A POST-WORKOUT MEAL CONTAINED ONLY CARBS AND PROTEINS ???
- WOULD THAT BE HARMFUL IF IT CONTAINED SOME FAT i.e. NOT MUCH - JUST A COUPLE OF GRAMS FOR EXAMPLE – WOULD IT BE OK TO HAVE SOME CERIALS/CORNFLAKES WITH MILK OR PASTA WITH COTTAGE CHEESE FOR MY POST-WORKOUT MEAL ???
- AND IF IT CAN CONTAIN SOME FAT - HOW MUCH IS SAFE ???
- DOES IT MATTER WHAT KIND OF CARBS I’LL EAT IN THAT MEAL i.e. WILL ONE BE BETTER THAT OTHER – OR WILL ONE HELP ME AND OTHER HURT ME i.e. MAKE ME GAIN BODYFAT ???

- 23.00 - Sleep

I train and work at home so it’s easier to end a training and almost immediately have a meal.

I wrote the hours for you to know that my post-workout meal later in a day Is basically my last meal of the day.

Here’s what I’m thinking about what effect that plan can have on me – and hot it might work in praxis.

- When I wake-up – I’m in ketosis after a whole night without food – but my muscles are filled with glycogen after my --- high carb/high protein – no fat/or close to no fat/ --- meal === and even if I’ve ate a little to big supper the night before, all that carbs and proteins that wasn’t used for recovery – wouldn’t be stored as bodyfat in that short period of time --- I don’t think it happens so fast – and even if it does (see the next step :-))

- When I do my morning training – first I burn all the glycogen from the muscles and when it’s eventually burned – I start burning my bodyfat as an energy source for the training

- Because my breakfast and dinner is – high protein/high fat - no carbs/or close to no carbs/ - the fat burning process initiated by the morning training is not interrupted/ceased/disrupted etc. --- you’ll have to excuse me here, I don’t know what word to use ----- and it continues almost throughout the whole day --- i.e. proteins feed and build muscles and the fat /whether it’s coming from the meals or my body/ gives me energy to work and train later in a day

- Then – after my afternoon training I make use of the “anabolic window” – I believe that’s the term – that training opens – and have a ---- high protein/high carbs ---- no fat/or close to no fat/ - supper, which refills the muscle glycogen replenished by a morning and afternoon training – builds muscles without gaining bodyfat /because everything is sucked into the muscles for the recovery and building new muscles/ - and even if something isn’t sucked into the muscles or used for the recovery and building of new muscles, and ends up being stored as bodyfat – It won’t be stored for long because it’ll be burned during the morning training

Thus – in my mind/understanding of the process/ the end result of that “cycle” would be --- gaining muscles while keeping of the bodyfat – i.e. not gaining any fat /meaning – burning anything that is not used by my body/

------- The BIG QUESTION -------------- is my logic right ??? ----------- or am I making a mistake thinking that it’ going to work this way ????

------- And a - SMALLER BUT STILL IMPORTANT QUESTION / MATTER
I’m still struggling with whether I should do a resistant training in the morning, before breakfast when I have the most energy after a high carb supper – and do a cardio training in the afternoon – basically right before the high carb/high protein meal – in order to replenish the rest of the glycogen out of my muscles and then recharge them with a high carb /high protein meal afterwards ==== or I should do exactly the other way around i.e. do a cardio in the morning and a resistance training later in a day – right before the high carb meal ???

As you can see A LOT’S OF DOUBTS AND QUESTIONS

PLEASE HELP ME

I eat 3 meals a day --- here I need to explain that I’ve tested a few approaches with 5, 4 and 3 meals a day and I found a 3 meal schedule the most suitable to my needs and to what I do in a day – I don’t feel hungry and I feel overfed/stuffed/full if you know what I mean
That is usually true for low carb diets, the high protein and fat contents of the diet keep hunger away.

Like I’ve said – mentally I feel a lot lot better on a high protein/high fat – no or near to no carbs – meals --- and I need to be mentally focused all day – my work requires that – so this Is what I need to take into account when putting it together.
That is usually true too after you adapt to the low carb diet. When you put carbs back on your diet your body might feel sluggish and unfocused due to the transition happening in regards to the brain going back to be fed by carbs instead of what is has grown used to. After a few days back with carbs your should feel great again.

- WHY IS IT RECOMMENDED THAT A POST-WORKOUT MEAL CONTAINED ONLY CARBS AND PROTEINS ???
- WOULD THAT BE HARMFUL IF IT CONTAINED SOME FAT i.e. NOT MUCH - JUST A COUPLE OF GRAMS FOR EXAMPLE – WOULD IT BE OK TO HAVE SOME CERIALS/CORNFLAKES WITH MILK OR PASTA WITH COTTAGE CHEESE FOR MY POST-WORKOUT MEAL ???
- AND IF IT CAN CONTAIN SOME FAT - HOW MUCH IS SAFE ???
- DOES IT MATTER WHAT KIND OF CARBS I’LL EAT IN THAT MEAL i.e. WILL ONE BE BETTER THAT OTHER – OR WILL ONE HELP ME AND OTHER HURT ME i.e. MAKE ME GAIN BODYFAT ???
After workout it is recommended that you avoid fat because fat slows diggestion down and you should want to get some nutrients in your bloodstream as fast as possible to replenish what was used during the workout, for example, replenish the muscle glycogen used during resistance training.
Harmful is a strong word, specially if you are talking about eating some grams of fat or not. The ideal post-workout nutrition would be fast digesting carbs and protein (for instance whey protein powder with fruit juice) but it doesn't mean anything different from that will be harmful. As such there is not fixed amount of "allowed" fat, more fat, slower diggestion, less fat faster diggestion. As mentioned ideally you should have fast diggesting carbs in this meal so that the energy is restored to the tissue as soon as possible but it won't make the world of a difference. What will make you gain body fat is eating above your maintenance. Your p-ratio will determine how much body fat and how much muscle is gained. Your p-ratio is determined by several things such as genetics, training, hormone levels, rest and so on...

- Because my breakfast and dinner is – high protein/high fat - no carbs/or close to no carbs/ - the fat burning process initiated by the morning training is not interrupted/ceased/disrupted etc. --- you’ll have to excuse me here, I don’t know what word to use ----- and it continues almost throughout the whole day --- i.e. proteins feed and build muscles and the fat /whether it’s coming from the meals or my body/ gives me energy to work and train later in a day
With low/no carbs your body will have low insulin levels and should you need extra energy it will burn both store fat and muscles to provide that. Unfortunatelly if you have low body fat the body will burn favorably muscle. If you don't undergo heavy enough resistance training the body will also figure that the muscles are not necessary and use them primarily for energy purposes instead of fat.

Check Bryan's videos about dieting here, specially part 5 which talks about low carb diet.
Also, since your questions are more about diet be sure to check Lyle's forum here.

Also I need to tell you about one thing.

When I was fully on a Keto diet (i.e. maximally 30 grams of carbs a day) – and did some of the resistant exercises Lol listed in an earlier message – I have to say I didn’t really feel any muscle exhaustion/soreness/lactic acid ???/and stiffness after my workouts /and I’ve managed to do a couple of them – I gave it all, pushed to the max with every exercise/

After yesterdays afternoon resistance training I ate a high carb supper and today my muscles feel extremely exhausted, sore, and stiff --- which made me thinking:
--- WHY DID IT OCCUR RIGHT NOW ??? – is it because of the exercises – I’ve pushed to the max – but I’ve did that on the earlier workouts also – so why exactly now ?
--– I suppose it’s because of the high carb supper afterword – BUT WHY AND HOW ?
--- IS IT A GOOD THING/SIGN TO FEEL THAT SORENESS ??? - i.e. now and in general --- does that means progress thanks to the carbs ? – a sign of a grow ???

I don’t know how to react on that – should I be happy because it means I’ve made a good decision ? or should I worry cause it means that something wrong is happening (for example – burning muscles again ?) ???

I’m sorry – because I should know such things – but at the moment I’m so confused that I have to ask

Back