I want to, but I dont get it

I am interested in the HST method. Ive read the articles and some threads. Perhaps I am to dense (which is probably the case) but I dont get it.

I don't get some of the terminology and abbreviations used. I dont get how in the article it says to do 15 reps for 2 weeks but then mentions going up in pounds, but maxes have already been set.

What am I supposed to be doing? Dips for my chest? I thought dips were for tricep development. Stiff legged dead lifts for legs? I thought stiff legs were for back development.

Does anyone have a routine that they did their first week with a simple explanation of what it means? Maybe after the first cycle, I'll get it. At this time I cant get to the first cycle because this routine is so far from what I am used to that I am afraid I might be missing something and just get frustrated with the whole thing.

Any help appreciated.

yeah it's the 15RM .. for ex. you're 15RM for hammer curls is 100lbs(
crazy.gif
) then you start your 1st 15s week with a lighter load like 75-80-85-90-95-100 or 90-90-95-95-100-100
FAQ setting up the HST cycle FAQ

ok, so if I do a mon, wed, fri. workout, using your example my workout would look like this:

hammer curls (100 lb 15 rep max)
2 sets (i guess)
mon wed fri
75 85 95
80 90 100

Is that correct, or is it still going over my head?

Yep, thats right.

Over each 2 week "block" of reps (15s, 10s, 5s), you work your way up to your Max for that rep range. You dont start with your maxes.

You dont have to do 2 sets, but some people like to. There are other threads on that. The standard way is just the one work set. Warm up sets etc still need to be done.

Once you've hit your 5RM at the end of 6 weeks, you can then do 2 weeks of negatives and/or dropsets.

Several times I read it is good to include dropsets in the 5s. I tried to find out how to do dropsets in the 5s, but I cannot find an example: can someone explain and give an example?
Also I'd like to know how much weight you are supposed to add once you plan a second cycle, after SD.

Dropset example in the 5s:

You're in your 5RM phase, bench press 5RM = 220lbs.

Do your 5x 220lbs, then immediately strip off say 50lbs from the barbell and 'rep out', i.e. perform a drop set, until you reach 12-15 reps total (5x220, 8x170 for example...13reps.)

The goal is to create a burn, a hypoxic state in the muscle (it will feel like 15s) which is metabolic stress, triggers the ERK1/2 signalling pathway.

Sweet. That helps in my understanding. I'll try and dig up a routine from the threads that someone has used successfully.

Should I stay at 1 set or up it to 2 sets per? Will I see gains with one set?

You will see gains from one set IF, let me repeat IF, your level of conditioning is low enough that one set will be effective. If you have been training for years then maybe one set won't be enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rowdy @ April 03 2005,9:59)]Once you've hit your 5RM at the end of 6 weeks, you can then do 2 weeks of negatives and/or dropsets.
Just to clarify, you should be doing negs or continuing your 5RM with the "addition" of dropsets or high rep sets, not "and or".

Just want to clarify one thing he might have gotten wrong, one a single day, when doing an exercise for more than one set, never take a lighter load for the first set and a heavier load for the second set and further sets..

So on a single day, if you were doing for instance 2 sets of 10s, the weight is the same for both of those 2 sets.

Here is my newbie thread which I edited later with helpful information.

S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (searching 4 signal @ April 03 2005,9:56)]ok, so if I do a mon, wed, fri. workout, using your example my workout would look like this:
hammer curls (100 lb 15 rep max)
2 sets (i guess)
mon                wed                       fri
75                    85                        95
80                    90                        100
Is that correct, or is it still going over my head?
I know you probably get it but just in case, in this example
week1 of 15's
Mon   Wed   Fri
75      80      85
Week2 of 15's
Mon   Wed   Fri
90      95     100
1 or 2 sets per excersize + warmup.  From your explanation it looks like you might have though each week you you go to your repmax, which is not the case.  You don't reach the rm until your 5 or 6th workout of each 2 week cycle.

Back