Idea...and opinion needed

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_daxie
  • Start date Start date
What my training partner and I have been doing is to use the previous cycles 15's weights as a starting point and keep adding workouts increasing the load until failure on all exercises. We then use 15's maxes with the calculator to find what our 10's should be. We do the same at the end of the 10's. It seems to be working well not having it 'set' to 6 workouts per rep range and allows for when you outgrow your maximums.
Regards,
Jazzer :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]maybe smaller increase every workout would be a little more better for strenght ( but still good for hypertrophy)
and bigger increase every 2 workout would be better for hypertrophy but less better for strenght... ?

Yes, as Bryan states in the FAQ, "Larger increments will tend to cause greater microtrauma, and by extension hypertrophy. Lower increments will be more conducive towards strength increases (and not so much hypertrophy)"

Furthermore, regarding the problem of zig-zagging, Bryan states that "I have yet to see a difference in gains from those allowing zigzagging of their weights, and those who don't." So, one could argue increasing load every single workout would be superior to zigzagging, but it appears that there may be very little to no difference.

What is most important is that the load is generally increasing over time, so perhaps having a longer cycle through "traditional" HST may be more effective as you would not need to SD as frequently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]why not chthonian? the cycle has ALL the HST principles intact, so long as Daxie actually isn't lifting to failure. As long as he makes sure his volume is pretty consistent, then I don't forsee a problem with the progress as you feel method.

I meant I don't see much of a hypertrophic benefit using a method that involves no zig-zag, as compared to one that does allow it. His program is fine, but I just don't see any real benefit over the typical HST routine, aside from the fact that it's easier to go by feel. Calkid did this and managed to make some nice gains, though. At the same time he was also coming off being sick.

Hello :)

I'm quite surprised this did go on this long.

This is an interesting topic for sure, but following the HST principles makes it easier and faster to discuss.

Here:
Rep schemes are practically unnecessary if you can make sure you manage progressive load, frequent training, and CNS fatigue well. If those three aren't a problem for you, you can ditch the rep schemes and go crazy.

So if you want a "truly progressive progression" (as somebody put it, I forgot who) you can do the following:

1.) Start with a weight you assume is effective for you... say 30 or 40% of your 1RM, or maybe 70% of your 15RM.

2.) Then determine your target reps. Say 15 or 20 per exercise.

3) Determine when you will increase the load, and by how much. For example, determine that you will increase each exercise by 10 pounds every workout, until you reach your max weight you want to lift (5RM, 3RM, or whatever you want as your limit) at the end of your cycle, then perhaps repeat that absolute max for a few more workouts as you want.

4) For your first set, do as many as you can before hitting faluire. Stop before you hit failure. If you already did the target reps, move on to the next exercise. If not, just breathe for a while, then do another set. Do as many sets as you need until you hit your target reps. Just remember, do not hit failure in any set.

5) Obviously, you will have no rep range per set. Just do as many as you can befoer going to failure. You're clustering all throughout the cycle.

See? We effectively discarded the rep scheme.
Following that, you will still be following HST principles, and have conveniently fixed any problem you have with targeting a specific rep range which may have triggered your concern for changing them. This doesn't necessarily make it more hypertrophic, but if it makes you love your workout more and have more confidence in it, then go ahead.

Hope that helps, regards :)
-JV

Back