important question

• Thread starter imported_dirtybirds808
  • Start date
I

imported_dirtybirds808

ok, im about to start my first HST cycle next week so i was plugging my numbers into the HST calculator. How much pounds should i increase if the weight is not that much to begin with. For example:

For my side laterals, my 15rm is 25lbs. My 10rm is 35lbs. So i am ending with 25lbs for my first block but starting the next week for my first session for 10 reps with how much weight? Is it common to start the next rep block with a much lower weight that you ended with for the previous rep block?

Is it ok to use 5lb incriments for smaller muscles or the isolation exercises?

Another example is my dumbbell curls for 10rm's and 15rm's.
My 10rm for dumbbell curls is 45lbs...and my 5rm is 55lbs. This means that on my final workout for my 10's i would be curling 45lbs. But the next week my first workout for my 5rm's i would be using only 5 lbs if i did the 10lb incriments.

Please somebody help me out!!! What do i need to do? Im bummed because i thought i had this figured out! I know about zig zagging but isnt this too much to zig zag? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Go ahead and use the same weight twice. It is the overall difference from the starting weight (of the 15's) to the ending weight (end of 5's or Negs) that matter more. So either use the same weight twice or dived the number of increments you are working with between your starting weight and end weight for each RM group.

Snippets from the FAQ on Zig Zag

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have yet to see a difference in gains from those allowing zigzagging of their weights, and those who don't.

Zig-zagging is fine as long as the general trend over time is upwards.

You can go about 7-14 days before you begin to lose some of the adaptation to previous higher loads. So one week will not cause you to lose ground.

Utilizing changes in rep speeds and modes of contraction will also make the lighter loads more effective.

Do not sacrifice the size of the increments to reduce the overlap/zig-zag - it is better (to some extent) to repeat two (or even three) workouts at the same loads. Some people's RMs are so close together that this is needed.

The reason HST works even though sometimes the weight zig-zags is because of the frequency.

If you are uncomfortable with the beginning weights for small muscle groups such as shoulders biceps triceps etc, simply decrease the number of increments and use each weight load twice. An example of this:

Mon - using 35 lbs
Wed - using 35 lbs
Fri - using 40 lbs
Mon - using 40 lbs
Wed - using 45 lbs
Fri - using 45 lbs

and from the Increment FAQ
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is not uncommon, however, that people will need to reduce the number of increments and repeat a few poundages to accommodate small muscle groups such as shoulders (lateral raises etc). All in all you will end up increasing the weight 18 -20 times over the course of 6-8 weeks. This consistent increase in load and Strategic Deconditioning has a great deal to do with the effectiveness of HST.

In the end it isn't necessary to focus on how big of an increment to make.What will determine your success is more dependent upon how wide the range is between your effective starting poundages during the 15s and your ending poundages used for 5s or negatives. So your goal for continued success, cycle after cycle, is to increase that range - by either decreasing the effective starting weight and/or increasing the finishing weight of the cycle.

Ok what should i do in this situation?.....my 10rm for incline dumbbell press are 90lbs. My first session for my 5rm i should be using 75lbs(according to my 5lb incriments because my 5rm is 100lbs). But i know that it will be easy to do the 75lbs 5x. Should i just stick to it or go a little heavier knowing that i can do 90lbs 10x. Or should i be doing the 90's? Sorry but i am still a little confused.

Use the 75 pounds for your first workout with a slower cadence than you would use when using your 90 pound rm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dirtybirds808 @ Mar. 25 2005,1:28)]Ok what should i do in this situation?.....my 10rm for incline dumbbell press are 90lbs.  My first session for my 5rm i should be using 75lbs(according to my 5lb incriments because my 5rm is 100lbs).  But i know that it will be easy to do the 75lbs 5x.  Should i just stick to it or go a little heavier knowing that i can do 90lbs 10x.  Or should i be doing the 90's? Sorry but i am still a little confused.
Or do 75 Lbs 2X, then 87.5 2X, then 100 2X. In the 75 Lb workouts do as O&G said or add more sets, TUT becomes more important when working with lighter weights you know you can handle easily.

Back