Is anyone else mixing it up?

Captain Crunch

During this last cycle of HST once I started the 5's I decided to keep my isolation movements using higher reps (10-15) and all my compound movements following the HST protocol and increasing the weight and keeping the reps low (5 or less). I am now into my post 5's and am seeing great results and find that I have an added energy than when I tried to do all my movements with the lower rep, higher weight range.

For instance I do my incline bench, dips, squats, DL's etc.. with the low rep range and do my biceps, triceps, laterals and flies with a lower weight and the higher rep range. For me it seems to be working great.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or if you see anything wrong with it?

Thanks

Mike

You do lose some of the benefit of progressive loading that way. However, I agree with your basic premise. I think I might bring the isolations down to 8-10 reps so that you could still benefit from progressive load.

What I have been doing is post 10's keeping my isolations at my 10 RM weight and keeping it at that through the 5's. If I can get more than 10 reps then I will do up to 15 or increase the weight next workout so that there is still some progression in weight increase. I was finding that my tendons in my elbows from the curls at heavy weights during the 5's were getting very sore and this seems to have fixed the problem and I still seem to be gaining.

Mike

Don't forget to factor in that RBE will set in at a much faster pace at 10 reps and above than it will at 5 reps.

Cap'n

Sounds pretty interesting, you say you gaining just dandy? :confused:

Nice angle, never thought of it that way, I wonder what would vicious and them would say to this
tounge.gif

Specially in the sense that it aids with joint pain when heavy loading, I get that too
tounge.gif

Think I might try out this angle dude!

Nice to have some fresh ideas coming in
happy.gif

Ciao

I'm really liking this method. It is allowing me to increase the load significantly on my compound lifts which helps in the growth of bi's and tri's anyway and then the metabolic work for isolations (higher rep) is helping the growth on top of it all. I have also noticed a significant easing in the joint pain in my elbows and shoulders. I seem to be fine up to the end of the 10's but as soon as I increase the weight in the 5's for the isolations I start getting the joint pain. This seems to be working. Just as a note I don't do any zig-zagging or repeating of weights anywhere in my program. I increase the load all the way through from the 1st day of 15's right through the end of the 5's.

I'm not too worried about RBE for isolations as I am still increasing the load in the compounds and still increasing the weight in my isolations anyway just not going to my 5 RM for isolaltions.

I would like to hear what DKM and Biz have to say about this. So far no comments!
sad.gif

Mike

Why don't you try 20, 15 and 10 reps (which I do for legs) or 15, 12 and 8 reps so that RBE cannot become a major factor?

I also have been doing this for the past month or so...only b/c I am cutting and I am not taking in enough calories to gain size anyway..so mainly what I am doing is trying to burn more calories...keep muscle mass as well as hopefully add some definition. I think this works well as long as you are just wanting to maintain or are cutting...but for best mass gains...along with diet being proper...I think old and grey said it best with progressive load.

Then again if its working keep at it untill you plateau then SD and start back with load!

I don't really see RBE being that much of a factor. When doing a normal HST cycle in post 5's you are not increasing the weight anymore anyway so this is really no different. And, I am still increasing the weight for isolations anyway just not to the level of my 5RM. The fact that I am still increasing the weight for all my compound movements and doing negatives, drop sets, and pulses should take care of the RBE anyway. Lot's of people don't even do seperate isolations for arms and shoulders and still have no problem so in this case I am still doing more, and it's working.

I'm going to stick with it until the end of this cycle and see what happens and go from there. I only have another week left in this cycle before SD. I'll keep you posted.

The biggest plus for me is that I feel good and the joints are appreciating the change, the gains are still there and it's fun to mix it up.

Mike

No, no, no! Captain, I keep telling ya the world is flat and ya just won't listen to me.

Sounds like a plan that is working good for you. Go for it!
thumbs-up.gif

Cap'n/ O & G

Sounds like a plan, keep it up, I am doing the same for chest using flyes (a light load +/- 10 Kg) for pulses at the 5's, actually since the 10's and I feel like a fighting cock, all blown up, if you know what I mean. LOL
laugh.gif

Just need to get something going for the lats, feels like they are staying behind.

Ciao

Fausto

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ July 15 2005,12:27)]Just need to get something going for the lats, feels like they are staying behind.
Ciao
Fausto
In my experience, weighted eccentric chins are number one for jump starting the lats.

You might give them a try.

I had been doing just chins and bent over DB rows on alternate days for my back and found that although the thickness in my lats was great I was not getting the width I wanted. I have added some wide grip lat pulldowns and some pullups to help out. It's to early to tell if it is working but I can certainly feel the difference in how the muscle is working a new area of my back.

Thanks Bryan

I think I must just do them in a more convincing manner, I am doing weighted chins.

One quick question, do lat muscles prefer volume and weight or more weight and less volume?

Fast or slow twich fibers? :confused:

Can't quite remember.

Back