Is this power rack any good??

I liked it. It would be nice if they did advertise its weight capacity as that is a good indicator of how sturdy it is. I wouldn't trust the picture.
PS: There is no way that guy is squatting that weight
smile.gif

<div>
(electric @ May 27 2008,7:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">PS: There is no way that guy is squatting that weight </div>
Yeah, he's probably just a pussy using those weights for curls in the power rack...
wink.gif

Hey, at least they didn't put a bimbo in a bikini in there. Yeah, Powerline seems to have some good ratings from home lifters. I'd buy it.

that's an awesome rack. it would be nice if the holes for the safety bars were an inch apart...so that you could do rack pulls, bench, set up for pin presses, whatever at the exact spot you'd like to. that's nit-picking though and just food for thought.

what do you mean quad? I'd like to try that because I'm not happy with my hole position for rack pulls.

I had to look at it again: it's not the type of bar I thought it was. Still, you could nail some 2x lumber to plywood sheets to make portable platforms to stand on, raising yourself to the heights you need. A lot of gyms do this. Also, nail on a short length of thick rope to the side of it as a handle to make it easy to drag in and out. Go nuts and top it with rubber to impress your friends. No rubber? Carpet.
Have fun!

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/store....5Fid=10

I found this other one, just as cheap, yet the holes, or whatever you call them, are closer together and there are external pins as well for presses. I like it and I'm not a big person, so I wont need a big rack and nor am I lifting heavy weights, so weight capacity as long as its 400lbs will do for a couple o' years.

Interesting advice, QD, I'll probably need plywood anyway because the floor in my garage is made of stone. Why would I need to drag it with a rope
rock.gif

Anyway, now all I need to find is a good barbell w/ plates and a flat bench and I'm sorted
biggrin.gif

I was answering FF's post. Using a small standing pad for lift when the holes are too great of an increment doesn't say you'd not want to use the stock increments for other exersizes, so you'd want it to be easy to pull in and out. A 2' x 4' pad of 3/4&quot; plywood and 2x lumber would weigh somewhere around 50 lbs. Add rubber, a bottom sheet; you have something that's hard to pick up. Save strength for the lifts, not work.
Rabbit trail...we were talking once about designing a machine for HST, and that somehow led to self-loading plates. I almost had that machine designed, but no one seemed interested, especially in light of new research where we find that fatigue doesn't build muscle as well as workload. There is no point in doing fatigue sets (such as drop sets) with HST. Still, if I were rich, I'd have me a plate boy to load up my bars for me...
biggrin.gif

edit: ooh, correction! That was a design to UNLOAD plates as you repped, but I could design it either way. Point is moot anyway.

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 27 2008,1:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://www.argos-sports.co.uk/mall....%20Rack

Hey dudes,

I want to build a home gym so I was wondering if the above power rack is good enough quality for a serious weight training person such as myself?</div>
I used to have this power rack. It's great and can hold a lot of weight.

Define &quot;weight&quot;.
Some guys in here lift houses, and some, well, get a workout carrying groceries. When it comes to gym safety, we like to err on the high side.

This is one of the things I hate about Brazil. All this talk about power rack/squat cage so I decided to find one here and start working out at home (uhn... should it be working in then?
smile.gif
). One of these babies cost over R$ 5000 which would translate to well over US$ 2500.
I am really sure it is because Brazil is such a rich country that we can afford so much abusive overpricing &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

<div>
(quadancer @ May 29 2008,12:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Define &quot;weight&quot;.
Some guys in here lift houses, and some, well, get a workout carrying groceries. When it comes to gym safety, we like to err on the high side.</div>
You could easily rack up an olympic bar with 80kg per side. It'll hold as much weight as you can throw at it, but obviously stability of the rack varies, based on what it's sat on.

I used to have it in a bedroom on carpet and it used to wobble a little, but also had it in a garage on a concrete floor and it was a lot more stable.

hmmm....well, it's an awesome rack...but...let's see....200 pounds is about 400 american dollars, right?

Seems like for that kind of money you could get a rack that has more holes that are closer together.  Makes it easier to get your squat exactly where you want it, as well as presses, etc.

kind of like this one
sm-1007_LRG.jpg

Other than that little pet peeve of mine, it's great.

I have a variant of the Bodymax Heavy Duty Rack wannagrow put a link to. I got it from Powerhouse Fitness too. They were great to deal with.

Rack does the job. Pin holes are about 3&quot; centre to centre which is pretty versatile. I used a 500lb bar for rack pulls the other day and plopped it down onto the middle of the rods and they didn't bend out of shape (they might with 600 though!) so they are pretty tough. It could do with an extra set of lower holes for slightly lower rack pulls but a Quad platform to raise me up a bit will do the trick instead. The powder coating seems to be pretty good as is overall build quality - made in China I think.

I like the look of the one Steve posted a pic of too but I doubt whether you can find one like that in the UK for similar money to what you would pay in the US.

I wouldn't get a rack that has those built in supports. Get a simple traditional rack with pins and J-hooks.

Powertec's rack is has a high weight rating. A quick search found it for 312 pounds, you might be able to do better.

Back